NEWARK, N.J. – While longtime middleweight Chael Sonnen was a long shot in his bid for the UFC light-heavyweight title, some believed that if he could get champ Jon Jones on his back, he might have a chance. Quite simply, though, he couldn’t.

Instead, Jones survived a gruesome toe injury and punched out the challenger in the first round.

The light-heavyweight title bout headlined today’s UFC 159 event at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

As promised, Sonnen pushed forward quickly at the bell, though it was Jones who scored the first takedown. Sonnen, who recently coached opposite Jones on “The Ultimate Fighter 17,” scrambled up to his feet, and Jones surprisingly elected to fight inside the clinch rather than use his massive reach advantage. Several takedowns followed as Jones seemed intent to prove he was the superior wrestler. A barrage of punches and elbows followed, and Sonnen was clearly in trouble as he lay on his side.

As Jones methodically picked apart the undersized challenger, he pulled Sonnen’s arm away and blasted him with vicious elbow strikes and a devastating knee to the body. The onslaught ripped apart Sonnen’s face, and referee Keith Peterson called a stop to the fight with 27 seconds left in the opening frame.

In a bizarre turn of events, as Jones celebrated his victory, he looked down to notice a gruesome break of his left big toe. It quite possibly could have threatened to end the fight in freak fashion had Jones not gotten the first-round stoppage.

Afterward, Jones said he didn’t immediately know when the injury occurred.

“I don’t know, but when my adrenaline calms down, I’m going to be in some pain tonight,” he said.

With the win, the 25-year-old Jones ties UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz’s record for the most-consecutive defenses of the UFC light-heavyweight title at five. It also ends a months-long feud with Sonnen that began with this past September’s canceled UFC 151 event and continued through their stints as “TUF 17? coaches.

“I was just so happy to get past Chael Sonnen,” Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) said. “Chael Sonnen’s an awesome opponent. We went through a lot of drama that motivated me a lot.

“I really wanted to try to ‘Chael Sonnen’ Chael Sonnen. I think I did a good job of that.”

Meanwhile, Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) has now fallen short in three UFC title fights in his past five appearances, which included a pair of defeats to middleweight champ Anderson Silva. He remained gracious in defeat and hinted that his fighting days may be done.

“He’s an excellent fighter,” Sonnen said. “I have no problem with the decision or the stoppage. He’s very powerful. When he went for the kill, he never stopped. I thought I was alright, but I think he’s the better fighter.

“I’m not going to be one of the guys to hang around. If there’s not a road to the title, then this sport isn’t for me. I believe that was probably my last opportunity.”

Complete UFC 159 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Matt Erickson and Steven Marrocco contributed to this report on-site in Newark.

Chael Sonnen on Jon Jones: 'You either cut the guy completely or shut up'

Chael Sonnen doesn't agree with the UFC's decision of simply taking away Jon Jones' belt. He believes something more drastic should've been done or nothing at all. Most people think the decision to s read news >>

Jon Jones Warned by Dana White over Future as Chael Sonnen Queries UFC Sanction

UFC President Dana White has admitted Jon Jones has "got some work to do" after being suspended by the organisation for his part in an alleged hit-and-run accident that left a pregnant woman with a b read news >>

Chael Sonnen 'confused' by UFC punishment of Jon Jones: 'If you part ways with a guy, cut him completely'

"I'm a little bit confused by it. You have to do something, you have to take some kind of action, I support that. But I don't fully know what it means to strip a guy of his belt. What do you do with read news >>

Chanel Sonnen’s advice to Jon Jones on how to get over with fans

For retired fighter turned media pundit Chael Sonnen, there’s the script most people read from when atoning for a mistake, and there’s the one that best suits this game of cage fighting (which, of co read news >>

Manager Says Jon Jones May Never Return to the UFC

Jon Jones' longtime manager, Malki Kawa, on Monday said that it's quite possible that we may never see Jones in the UFC Octagon ever again. read news >>

Brandon Halsey suffers leg injury in Bellator 137 victory over Kendall Grove

TEMECULA, CALIF. – Brandon Halsey hobbled out of the Bellator MMA cage following his victory over Kendall Grove at Bellator 137. A left foot/ankle injury explains the limp.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Anderson Silva: I don't think UFC will let Jon Jones come back, he 'needs to change everything in life'

Jon Jones' longtime friend Anderson Silva has some good advice for the troubled former light-heavyweight champion. Anderson Silva and Jon Jones have been good friends for years. Now, the "Spider" has read news >>

Chael Sonnen on Jon Jones: If 'Bones' gets instant UFC title shot upon return, 'then none of this makes sense'

"American Gangster" spoke to MMAmania.com earlier today about the UFC 187 main event between Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson, Jon Jones being stripped of the title, and the strangeness of it all. read news >>

Chael Sonnen on Jon Jones' immediate title shot: 'none of this makes sense'

Former UFC dynamo Chael Sonnen criticizes Dana White's decision to grant Jon Jones with an immediate title shot upon return. It's been almost a month since news broke of Jon Jones' alleged hit-and-ru read news >>