NEWARK, N.J. – Headliner Jon Jones and his mangled toe received an indefinite medical suspension following his UFC 159 win over Chael Sonnen, making the UFC light heavyweight champion one of six fighters from the card to receive such an order.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) requested and received the list of suspensions from the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which regulated the event.
UFC 159 took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
Jones earned a first-round TKO finish of Sonnen in the main event. After the win, he looked down and noticed a badly broken toe. Fortunately, the injury did not preclude the champion from defending his belt for a fifth-consecutive time. Sonnen, who later admitted he was overmatched in the contest, received a 45-day order for a facial laceration.
Additionally, co-headliner Alan Belcher received an indefinite order pending ophthalmological clearance of his right eye. Belcher, who has already fought through a detached retina once in his career, was poked in the eye in the final minute of his fight with Michael Bisping, and blood streamed down his face. The fight went to the cards early, and Bisping was awarded a unanimous-decision win. An update on Belcher’s condition wasn’t immediately available, but “The Talent” was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
The full list of medical suspensions for UFC 159 includes:
- Jon Jones suspended indefinitely pending orthopedic clearance of left foot
- Alan Belcher suspended indefinitely pending ophthalmological clearance of right eye
- Phil Davis suspended indefinitely pending orthopedic clearance of left knee and X-rays of left thumb
- Jim Miller suspended indefinitely pending CT head scan; minimum suspension 60 days for recovery
- Yancy Medeiros suspended indefinitely pending orthopedic clearance of right thumb
- Gian Villante suspended indefinitely pending ophthalmological clearance of left eye and X-rays of lower leg and ankle
- Johnny Bedford suspended 60 days for facial laceration
- Kurt Holobaugh suspended 60 days for lower lip laceration
- Chael Sonnen suspended 45 days for facial laceration
- Pat Healy suspended 45 days for facial lacerations
- Steven Siler suspended 45 days for scalp laceration
- Cheick Kongo suspended 30 days due to knockout loss
- Sheila Gaff suspended 30 days due to TKO loss
- Bryan Caraway suspended 30 days for rest period
For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
(Pictured: Jon Jones)