An injured back gave George Roop more than a year to assess the state of the UFC’s featherweight division, and he didn’t like what he saw.

At 6-foot-1, Roop towers over most of his fellow 145-pounders. But he said his height doesn’t necessarily translate to size or strength, and that was becoming more and more apparent as he looked around the UFC’s featherweight division.

“During [my recovery] process, I was just seeing how big these 145-pounders were, and I wanted to go down to bantamweight,” Roop told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I’ve gotten a lot of criticism for it initially, but I know it’s definitely the right move for me, especially with how big these 145-pounders are walking around at. You’ve got to give yourself the biggest advantage when fighting the top one percent of fighters in the world.”

Roop (12-9-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) makes the drop to 135 pounds when he meets Reuben Duran (8-4-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) on March 16 at UFC 158. Their bout, which streams on Facebook ahead of the FX prelims and pay-per-view main card, opens the show.

It’s actually a second drop to bantamweight for Roop, who suffered a loss to Eddie Wineland in early 2010 after a one-fight trial run at the weight. He said it was the “hardest thing I ever had to do,” largely because he started the drop from 165 pounds.

This time, though?

“I’m going to say something very cliche, but this has been absolutely the easiest weight cut of my life,” he said. “Right now I’m sitting at 144 pounds. I’m eating seven times a day. My energy level is excellent. I’m feeling great.”

Seriously, he eats seven times a day. In fact, it’s a big reason Roop decided to move down to 135 pounds. As a featherweight, he said he tried everything possible to pack on pounds – from consulting with a nutritionist to incorporating heavy lifting into his camp.

“I’ve done it all, brother,” he said.

He said some fans consider this latest weight drop a matter of him gaming the system. Even guys at his gym scoff at the notion that a 6-foot-1 fighter needs to cut all the way down to 135 pounds.

“But the reality is that I don’t walk around very heavy,” he said. “The biggest weight I’ve ever seen on a scale is 165. I’ve never seen more than that on a scale. My bones are probably lighter, and I’m already pretty scrawny. With my genetics, it’s hard to put weight on me.”

Now, hoping to rebound from back-to-back losses to Hatsu Hioki and Cub Swanson, Roop has his targets set on Duran, who looks to avoid his third loss in four UFC fights.

Roop doesn’t really know him personally, but he’s making a bold prediction.

“He’s going down,” Roop said. “He’s going down like a blonde on prom night. He doesn’t stand a chance. This is a great fight for me. I know they call him like ‘The Hurricane,’ but I don’t think he’s even a Category 1 tropical storm.

“I’m fired up. I don’t like any of the people I fight. I’m not trying to be friends with anyone I fight. It’s just how I am in a fight. I know I’m meaner than this guy, I know I’m better, and I’m hungry. I’ve been out of there for a year, and I’m going to go in there and make an example out of him.”

For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Ronda Rousey's Latest Loss Leaves UFC Women's Divisions in Uncharted Waters

There can be no doubt that Ronda Rousey gave everything she had to MMA. Before her, UFC President Dana White once famously quipped that women would "never" fight inside the Octagon on his watch. Not read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes: Boxing coach gave Ronda Rousey unwarranted striking confidence

LAS VEGAS – After just one punch, Ronda Rousey was clearly in trouble in Friday’s UFC 207 headliner. The woman who delivered that crushing blow, UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes, notice read news >>

UFC 207 Quick Results: Nunes Finishes Rousey in 48 Seconds | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC Nunes Blasts Rousey Out in 48 Seconds Herb Dean quickly jumped between the returning Ronda Rousey and defending champion Amanda Nunes after 48 seconds of the UFC 207 ma read news >>

Final UFC 207 salaries: Champ Amanda Nunes gets $200K, Ronda Rousey $3 million

LAS VEGAS – Despite a quick 48-second loss, Ronda Rousey was the top earner at UFC 207.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Celebrities (including a savage Justin Bieber) react to Ronda Rousey's KO loss at UFC 207

Ronda Rousey is one of the few transcendent stars in MMA. That means when she fights, more than just the average MMA fans tune in. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

LeBron James Comments on Ronda Rousey After UFC 207 Loss vs. Amanda Nunes

Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James had words of support for MMA fighter Ronda Rousey after she lost her second straight fight on Saturday night, this time a 48-second knockout against Amanda read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw says thanks to new UFC champ Cody Garbrandt: 'Now I'm going to get a title shot'

LAS VEGAS – “Impressed” with Cody Garbrandt’s title-winning performance on Friday, UFC 207’s T.J. Dillashaw is confident he’s next in line for a chance to reclaim the 135-pound title.Filed under: Fea read news >>

UFC 207 Talking Points: Nunes, Rousey, Garbrandt and Dillashaw

There's plenty to discuss after a wild UFC 207 - Amanda Nunes' reign, the future of Ronda Rousey, Cody Garbrandt's rise and the upcoming challenge from TJ Dillashaw. We've got it all in the UFC 207 T read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Mom Comments on Star's Potential Retirement After UFC 207 Loss

Following Ronda Rousey's stunning 48-second loss to Amanda Nunes in Las Vegas at UFC 207 on Friday night, Rousey's mother, AnnMaria De Mars, expressed hope her daughter would consider retirement. As read news >>

UFC 207 Nunes vs. Rousey Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

Amanda Nunes made a statement at UFC 207, and Ronda Rousey was the pulpit. Nunes ousted the former dominant figure in just 48 seconds. The victory leaves a giant question mark on Rousey's future as w read news >>