An injured back gave George Roop more than a year to assess the state of the UFC’s featherweight division, and he didn’t like what he saw.

At 6-foot-1, Roop towers over most of his fellow 145-pounders. But he said his height doesn’t necessarily translate to size or strength, and that was becoming more and more apparent as he looked around the UFC’s featherweight division.

“During [my recovery] process, I was just seeing how big these 145-pounders were, and I wanted to go down to bantamweight,” Roop told Radio ( “I’ve gotten a lot of criticism for it initially, but I know it’s definitely the right move for me, especially with how big these 145-pounders are walking around at. You’ve got to give yourself the biggest advantage when fighting the top one percent of fighters in the world.”

Roop (12-9-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) makes the drop to 135 pounds when he meets Reuben Duran (8-4-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) on March 16 at UFC 158. Their bout, which streams on Facebook ahead of the FX prelims and pay-per-view main card, opens the show.

It’s actually a second drop to bantamweight for Roop, who suffered a loss to Eddie Wineland in early 2010 after a one-fight trial run at the weight. He said it was the “hardest thing I ever had to do,” largely because he started the drop from 165 pounds.

This time, though?

“I’m going to say something very cliche, but this has been absolutely the easiest weight cut of my life,” he said. “Right now I’m sitting at 144 pounds. I’m eating seven times a day. My energy level is excellent. I’m feeling great.”

Seriously, he eats seven times a day. In fact, it’s a big reason Roop decided to move down to 135 pounds. As a featherweight, he said he tried everything possible to pack on pounds – from consulting with a nutritionist to incorporating heavy lifting into his camp.

“I’ve done it all, brother,” he said.

He said some fans consider this latest weight drop a matter of him gaming the system. Even guys at his gym scoff at the notion that a 6-foot-1 fighter needs to cut all the way down to 135 pounds.

“But the reality is that I don’t walk around very heavy,” he said. “The biggest weight I’ve ever seen on a scale is 165. I’ve never seen more than that on a scale. My bones are probably lighter, and I’m already pretty scrawny. With my genetics, it’s hard to put weight on me.”

Now, hoping to rebound from back-to-back losses to Hatsu Hioki and Cub Swanson, Roop has his targets set on Duran, who looks to avoid his third loss in four UFC fights.

Roop doesn’t really know him personally, but he’s making a bold prediction.

“He’s going down,” Roop said. “He’s going down like a blonde on prom night. He doesn’t stand a chance. This is a great fight for me. I know they call him like ‘The Hurricane,’ but I don’t think he’s even a Category 1 tropical storm.

“I’m fired up. I don’t like any of the people I fight. I’m not trying to be friends with anyone I fight. It’s just how I am in a fight. I know I’m meaner than this guy, I know I’m better, and I’m hungry. I’ve been out of there for a year, and I’m going to go in there and make an example out of him.”

For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site. Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to

UFC Fight Night 75 fight card: Takeya Mizugaki vs George Roop full fight preview

Takeya Mizugaki and George Roop will battle this Saturday (Sept. 26, 2015) at UFC Fight Night 75 inside Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. In a match up of scrappy bantamweights, what adjustments read news >>

Fight Path: Dad gave BAMMA 22's Tom Duquesnoy a year to prove MMA worth

Tom Duquesnoy headlines this weekened’s BAMMA 22. His promising MMA career is the result of a challenge from his dad, who gave his son one year to prove to he could succeed in the sport.Filed under: read news >>

Ronda Rousey unloads on NSAC for Nick Diaz suspension: 'No reason' to test for marijuana

UFC champion Ronda Rousey gave the Nevada State Athletic Commission a verbal lashing at today’s UFC 193 press conference in Melbourne for its five-year suspension of fellow fighter Nick Diaz.Filed un read news >>

Kamuela Kirk replaces injured Isaac Vallie-Flagg against Estevan Payan at WSOF 23

Strikeforce and UFC veteran Isaac Vallie-Flagg suffered an elbow injury which has forced him out of his WSOF 23 preliminary bout with Estavan Payan.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Jake Shields to serve 50 community service hours for late hit on Palhares

The NAC gave Shields a light penalty of 50 community service hours for his actions against Rousimar Palhares at WSOF 22. Jake Shields was not suspended or fined for a late strike against Rousimar Pal read news >>

Edgar: White said I'm in if Aldo or McGregor get injured, 'you can print that in bold'

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar has been patiently – and sometimes impatiently – biding his time waiting for a second shot at the promotion’s featherweight belt.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

PBC on Spike: Adonis Stevenson blows out Tommy Karpency, Errol Spence beats down Chris van Heerden

Few gave Pennsylvania's Tommy Karpency any chance against WBC Light Heavyweight Champion Adonis Stevenson in the main event of Premier Boxing Champions double-header last night. As it turns out, thos read news >>

Andrei Arlovski not injured, ready for next UFC fight as early as December

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski was facing a possible six-month suspension for damage incurred in his UFC 191 pay-per-view (PPV) fight opposite Frank read news >>

GLORY news: Petrosyan returns, Pat Barry out with injury

Premier kickboxing league GLORY today gave fans some news they have long been waiting for: Giorgio ‘The Doctor’ Petrosyan is back in the lightweight division. He makes his return at GLORY 25 MILAN on read news >>

Urijah Faber gave rising UFC star Paige VanZant advice on how to deal with fame

It happened when someone on social media said that UFC women’s strawweight star Paige VanZant was boozing it up, despite the fact that she’d had only a half-shot for her 21st birthday.Filed under: Fe read news >>