UFC 158 victory cost bantamweight T.J. Dillashaw a $50,000 bonus

• submit to reddit

tj-dillashaw-7.jpgBantamweight T.J. Dillashaw (7-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) didn’t want to knock out Issei Tamura at this past weekend’s UFC 158 event. After he did, the Team Alpha Male product realized he probably cost himself $50,000.

“My gameplan going into this fight was I was thinking I was going to submit the guy,” Dillashaw told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I thought that was my best chance at a bonus. There were a lot of heavy hitters and exciting fighters on the card. So the time I’m actually thinking about going for submission is the time I get a knockout. Kind of ironic.

“I was willing to take the fight anywhere and be aggressive, but I was just thinking that would be my best chance.”

Tamura’s takedown defense kept Dillahsaw from moving the action to the floor and working his jiu-jitsu game, but on the feet he left an opening, and the Californian delivered with a thudding kick to the head that saw the knee slam into the temple and deposit his foe on the floor.

“I knew he held his hands low,” Dillashaw said. “I already threw a couple head kicks in the first round. I was going for the head kick, and he just dipped into it, as well. It was a little bit of a fake low and change elevation.”

Dillashaw immediately pounced with powerful punches, and the fight was waved off. With the finish not what he had envisioned, Dillashaw was forced to keep his fingers crossed in the locker room as the remaining fights unfolded. Competing on the evening’s preliminary card, there were 10 more fights remaining after Dillashaw’s hand was raised.

His chances at a bonus still looked decent until late into the main card, when Jake Ellenberger scored a crushing knockout of Nate Marquardt. At that point, Dillashaw knew his chances at the bonus check were all but gone.

“I was keeping my fingers crossed,” Dillashaw said. “But then as soon as I saw Ellenberger get the knockout, I was pretty certain it was going to go to him. I was just hoping since there was no submission, they would still give out three bonuses.”

Unfortunately for Dillashaw, the UFC didn’t oblige, and he was left without a bonus check, which he said he likely would have used to buy a house.

“Quit paying rent and make some good investments – that was kind of the plan,” Dillashaw said.

Still, it was an important win for Dillashaw, who is now 3-0 since his loss to John Dodson in the tournament final of “The Ultimate Fighter 14.” He’s likely in line for a top-10 opponent in his next outing. He was supposed to face Mike Easton this past December before injury forced him out of the bout. He’s also got an eye on Alex “Bruce Leeroy” Caceres, who took home UFC on FUEL TV 4's “Submission of the Night” bonus on a night when Dillashaw also earned a tapout.

“He stole my bonus,” Dillashaw said with a laugh.

But whenever the UFC calls, Dillashaw insists he’ll be ready. The bonus plan didn’t pan out, but he’s still focused on climbing to the top of the division.

“I’ve been working hard to try and make my game as well-rounded as possible,” Dillashaw said. “I’d like to fight again as soon as possible, and whoever they want to match me up with, I’m sure they’re going to do pretty well with that.”

For complete coverage of UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Music to UFC's ears. T.J. Dillashaw has only been bantamweight champion for a little under two months, but he's already made it clear that he'll be a "company man" for Ultimate fighting Championship (UFC). Prior to the announcement on "UFC Tonight" that the mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion was targeting an instant rematch between himself and Renan Barao -- the man he dethroned at UFC 173 this past May -- "The Viper" spoke to FOX Sports regarding his next title defense. When asked about a possi read news >>

A look at the August 30th PPV that features a rematch between bantamweight champ T.J. Dillashaw and Renan Barao in Sacramento, CA. UFC 177 tickets go on sale tomorrow, and the meat of the PPV main card has already been figured out. Bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw, who was given little chance to beat Renan Barao at UFC 173, destroyed Barao in one of the biggest upsets in UFC history. Barao was knocked out in the 5th round after being dropped in the first and wobbly throughout the fight, so o read news >>

• 21 hours ago

UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw has reason to doubt Renan Barao’s claim that he wasn’t fully present for most of the UFC 173 headliner that forced him to hand over the belt.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

It appears T.J. Dillashaw will defend his UFC title on home turf. Recently crowned UFC bantamweight champion after a dominant victory over Renan Barao, Dillashaw will likely have to do it again on August 30, as MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported on Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight on FOX Sports 1 that the UFC is close to giving Barao an immediate at UFC 177 in Sacramento, California. UFC 177 was tentatively planned for Las Vegas, Nevada, but appears to be moving to the new champion's hom read news >>

TJ Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao 2 is likely to happen at UFC 177 and it will be in the champion's hometown. Raphael Assuncao is the last man to beat the current bantamweight champion in T.J. Dillashaw and he has been angling for a title shot for some time now, but it looks like the UFC will opt for a different rematch. According to a report from Ariel Helwani at UFC Tonight, Renan Barao is likely to have an immediate rematch with the champion on August 30. In one of the biggest upsets in recent his read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw made good on his promise to shock the world like Chris Weidman did against Anderson Silva by defeating Renan Barao, and, like Weidman, he’ll have to do it all over again at UFC 177. MMA journalist Ariel Helwani reported on Wednesday’s episode of UFC Tonight that the UFC was close to booking a bantamweight championship rematch between Dillashaw and Barao. The bout would likely take place on the August 30 fight card in Sacramento. Dillashaw, who entered the first bout as an 8-to-1 u read news >>

LAS VEGAS – Renan Barao will get the rematch he was hoping for. The former bantamweight champion will get a shot at revenge against T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 177 on Aug. 30 in Dillashaw’s home base of Sacramento.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

LAS VEGAS – It might not come as music to Raphael Assuncao's ears, but the rematch between Renan Barao and T.J. Dillashaw is set to take place at UFC 177 in Sacramento on August 30. UFC president Dana White made the announcement during a special edition of UFC Tonight on Friday afternoon after the UFC 175 weigh-ins. Against great odds, Dillashaw dethroned the Brazilian champion Barao at UFC 173 on May 24. Though the 28-year old Dillashaw fighter was a 6-to-1 underdog on some books, he controlled read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw put on a mesmerizing performance at UFC 173. One person who didn't get to witness it was the man who was facing Dillashaw in the main event, Renan Barao. Barao had a media scrum in Brazil that Guilherme Cruz of MMAFighting.com was able to grab some interesting quotes from. "I remember everything that happened until that point," Barao said. "After (that punch), I only woke up in the locker room. The fight was really close in the beginning, but everything changed after that punch." read news >>