The UFC returns to action next Saturday after a week off, and the stakes will be high in the welterweight division.
“UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz” takes place at Bell Centre in Montreal. It’s the UFC’s second trip to Montreal in four months, and once again hometown favorite and welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) headlines, this time in a fight against former Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) that has quickly escalated into high-level grudge territory.
Diaz returns from a yearlong suspension after testing positive for marijuana metabolites following his UFC 143 loss to Carlos Condit in an interim welterweight title fight while St-Pierre still was on the shelf rehabbing from knee surgery. Earlier this week on a conference call with media members, the two went at it in one of the most memorable media calls in UFC history. St-Pierre makes a quick turnaround after beating Condit in November at UFC 154.
The card also features two pivotal welterweight fights as Condit (28-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC) meets Johny Hendricks (14-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) in the co-main event, and Jake Ellenberger (28-6 MMA, 7-2 UFC) takes on former Strikeforce champ Nate Marquardt (32-11-2 MMA, 1-1 SF).
Check out the UFC’s extended video preview for next Saturday’s event above.
The UFC 158 card includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz – for welterweight title
- Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks
- Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt
- Chris Camozzi vs. Nick Ring
- Colin Fletcher vs. Mike Ricci
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Patrick Cote vs. Bobby Voelker
- Antonio Carvalho vs. Darren Elkins
- Jordan Mein vs. Dan Miller
- Daron Cruickshank vs. John Makdessi
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:35 p.m. ET)
- Quinn Mulhern vs. Rick Story
- TJ Dillashaw vs. Issei Tamura
- Reuben Duran vs. George Roop
For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.