Georges St-Pierre UFC 129-478x270Georges St-Pierre (24-2) has retained the UFC welterweight title for the eighth time with a commanding unanimous decision win over Nick Diaz (26-9, 1 NC) at UFC 158 on Saturday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

All three judges awarded the fight to St-Pierre 50-45.

In the opening two rounds, St-Pierre was able to completely dominate the fight, landing takedowns at will and was able to outwork Diaz from the top position with ground strikes.

He began to slow down in round three and Diaz was able to repeatedly stuff his takedown attempts and keep the fight standing, engaging in strikes. But the 31-year-old Canadian was still able to out-strike Diaz on his feet and never looked in doubt.

Coming into the final round, St-Pierre clinched, looking for the takedown, but Diaz broke free before falling to the mat where the eight-time world champion was able to land ground strikes from side control, maintaining top position, to the roars of his home crowd to the final bell.

“I didn’t want to fight in a boxing range with him because he’s the best boxer in mixed martial arts,” St-Pierre said. “He has a very unusual scrambling style and I don’t have a training partner like that, it’s almost impossible to get ready for that.”

Although there was animosity between the pair leading into the fight, it all seemed forgotten after the final bell, with both fighters full of praise for their counterpart.

“Nick, you made a great job promoting the fight. He’s a good guy,” St-Pierre told the crowd. “I never took it personal. Nick is a veteran. He was in the UFC before me. I’m actually a big fan of Nick Diaz and that’s one of the reasons I wanted to fight him.”

Nick Diaz hinted at retirement when speaking with Joe Rogan post-fight, saying it’s something he’s been contemplating.

“I think I’m going to have to figure out whether I want to keep doing this. I really don’t think I have any more.

“I don’t want to make excuses,” Diaz continued. “I think I’m done with mixed martial arts. I want to help my team and I’m tired of getting banged up.”

(Follow @AndrewPMMA on Twitter)

Following win over Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather says he'll fight one last time in September

Following a comfortable unanimous decision win over Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night in Las Vegas, Floyd Mayweather told Showtime's Jim Gray he'll fight one more time in September. The immediate ques read news >>

Mayweather vs Pacquiao results recap: 'Money' pulls away late, coasts to wide unanimous decision win

Floyd Mayweather always figures out his opponents. Whether he manages to make the necessary adjustments to take over the fight is a matter of "when," not "if." This time, it took him about six rounds read news >>

Nick Diaz passed two drug tests and failed one in hours surrounding UFC 183

A third alleged failed drug test for Nick Diaz was greeted by many in the MMA community with a shrug of the shoulders. As it turns out, though, there is more to the story surrounding his positive tes read news >>

Ovince St-Preux wants Quinton Jackson fight, Team Rampage ... not so much

Aside from his unanimous decision loss to Ryan Bader at UFC Fight Night 47 last year, Ovince St-Preux has been rather impressive during his short stint inside the Octagon. Winning six of seven under read news >>

Randa Markos admits Aisling Daly's pre-fight comments 'bothered' her

MONTREAL -- Randa Markos, who defeated Aisling Daly via unanimous decision at UFC 186, discusses her performance, the strawweight division, if she's in the mix for a title shot, when she wants to fig read news >>

Valerie Letourneau says she was feeling 'terrible' after tough weight cut

MONTREAL -- Valerie Letourneau, who defeated Jessica Rakoczy via unanimous decision at UFC 186, discusses her performance, why the win was special, her tough weight cut, and more. read news >>

UFC 186 results: Rampage Jackson outworks Fabio Maldonado, earns impressive unanimous decision

Following a court overturning an injunction that banned him from competing, Quinton Jackson returned to Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) Octagon tonight (Sat., April 25, 2015) to battle Fabio M read news >>

UFC 186 main card results - Rampage Jackson beats Fabio Maldonado by unanimous decision

Read up on who won the UFC 186 catchweight (215 lbs) co-main event between Quinton Jackson and Fabio Maldonado in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Quinton Jackson's UFC return was on, then off, then on agai read news >>

UFC 186 Results: Michael Bisping Decisions C.B. Dollaway

Michael Bisping got back on a winning track, going the distance and earning a unanimous decision over C.B. Dollaway at UFC 186 in Montreal on Saturday. read news >>