UFC 158 Results: Georges St-Pierre Retains Welterweight Title Against Nick Diaz


Georges St-Pierre UFC 129-478x270Georges St-Pierre (24-2) has retained the UFC welterweight title for the eighth time with a commanding unanimous decision win over Nick Diaz (26-9, 1 NC) at UFC 158 on Saturday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

All three judges awarded the fight to St-Pierre 50-45.

In the opening two rounds, St-Pierre was able to completely dominate the fight, landing takedowns at will and was able to outwork Diaz from the top position with ground strikes.

He began to slow down in round three and Diaz was able to repeatedly stuff his takedown attempts and keep the fight standing, engaging in strikes. But the 31-year-old Canadian was still able to out-strike Diaz on his feet and never looked in doubt.

Coming into the final round, St-Pierre clinched, looking for the takedown, but Diaz broke free before falling to the mat where the eight-time world champion was able to land ground strikes from side control, maintaining top position, to the roars of his home crowd to the final bell.

“I didn’t want to fight in a boxing range with him because he’s the best boxer in mixed martial arts,” St-Pierre said. “He has a very unusual scrambling style and I don’t have a training partner like that, it’s almost impossible to get ready for that.”

Although there was animosity between the pair leading into the fight, it all seemed forgotten after the final bell, with both fighters full of praise for their counterpart.

“Nick, you made a great job promoting the fight. He’s a good guy,” St-Pierre told the crowd. “I never took it personal. Nick is a veteran. He was in the UFC before me. I’m actually a big fan of Nick Diaz and that’s one of the reasons I wanted to fight him.”

Nick Diaz hinted at retirement when speaking with Joe Rogan post-fight, saying it’s something he’s been contemplating.

“I think I’m going to have to figure out whether I want to keep doing this. I really don’t think I have any more.

“I don’t want to make excuses,” Diaz continued. “I think I’m done with mixed martial arts. I want to help my team and I’m tired of getting banged up.”

(Follow @AndrewPMMA on Twitter)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 29 days ago
  • 200 views

Nick Diaz has not won a mixed martial arts (MMA) match since Oct. 2011, when he beat B.J. Penn from pillar to post en route to a unanimous decision win at UFC 137. Back-to-back losses since then, as read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 64 views

Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz has a tall task ahead of him when he welcomes ex-UFC middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva back to the Octagon on January 31, but his head coach can e read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 45 views

Nevertheless, his supportive family will respect his wishes to continue his mixed martial arts (MMA) career, despite the fact that he broke his leg in his last outing at UFC 168. Former Ultimate Figh read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 88 views

UFC President Dana White revealed that Anderson Silva is “chomping at the bit” to return to the octagon and that Nick Diaz could potentially fight for a title with a win over the division’s former ki read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 172 views

But don't worry Rob Dyrdek, you're still "really funny" in Nick's book. Despite his tough exterior and the fact that he beats people up for a living, Nick Diaz is not a violent person. In fact, the S read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 98 views

Former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz discussed his UFC 183 fight against Anderson Silva on a conference call with the media Wednesday afternoon. Check out the complete audio above. read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 62 views

Anderson Silva discusses if he'll keep the rod in his leg, Nick Diaz, if his family is happy about his return, and much more during a conference call to promote his UFC 183 fight Friday afternoon. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 416 views

Check out the social media reaction from fighters, media members and celebrities after Dana White announced the January superfight between Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 4 views

By the time January 31st rolls around, nearly two full years will have passed since Nick Diaz publicly announced his retirement, then called for a rematch within the same two-minute post-fight interv read news >>