Donald Cerrone vs Melvin GuillardMixed martial arts can be a cutthroat business when friendships are involved.

Many times, friendships have been lost and egos have gotten the better of some of the sport’s elite.

Enter in Donald Cerrone and Melvin Guillard.  The two lightweights were former training partners at Greg Jackson’s, and still are great friends heading into UFC 150: Henderson vs. Edgar II.

Cerrone respects Guillard so much that he left Jackson’s to let him know that he’s not seeking an unfair advantage.  The former WEC star wants an even playing field, so he moved his fight camp back to Vail, Colo., where he first started his MMA training.

“Denver is high altitude, man, and going to Vail just to train, trust me I didn’t want to.” Cerrone said on the UFC 150 media conference call.  “Melvin and I trained a lot together with Greg.  I kind of went away from Greg on this fight a little bit and just did my own thing.  Not any reason other than I didn’t want Melvin to think that Greg was giving me all his secrets and whatnot.

“This fight between Melvin and I is nothing but professional; it’s no personal beef.  No nothing.  I just went away, went up to Vail, got my conditioning in order and ready to go make some money.”

The two spent so much time cutting their teeth under the tutelage of Jackson, and still maintain a mutual admiration even after Guillard left to the Blackzilians.

Come fight time though, Jackson will be in the ear of Cerrone. Cowboy just didn’t want his former teammate to think he used Jackson to dissect his entire game.

“Oh no, he’s definitely going to be in my corner.  I just haven’t been training with him like the last four weeks.  There’s nothing, no beef or anything with me and Greg, other than obvious respect for Melvin and taking off and doing my own thing.  I didn’t want him thinking that I’m not working the game plan.”

In the long run, the two men will enter UFC 150 great friends and exit the same, but it won’t stop Cerrone and Guillard from going at it hard.   The two former teammates will look to give the Denver fans their moneys worth on Saturday night.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Melvin Guillard Fined and Suspended by Kansas Commission for Banned Non-PED

Bellator fighter Melvin Guillard was suspended by the Kansas Athletic Commission on Friday for a positive drug test result for a non-performance-enhancing substance. read news >>

UFC 202 Primer: Donald Cerrone vs. Rick Story Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Donald Cerrone's (30-7, 1 NC) rise as a welterweight contender will be put to the test at UFC 202, where he'll square off against Rick Story (19-8). Cerrone finished 2015 with a disappointing result read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Cowboy Cerrone and Bob Saget

Donald Cerrone calls in live from Lake Mead ahead of his fight against Rick Story at UFC 202 and talks skydiving, Diaz vs. McGregor 2, and more. Then, comic and actor Bob Saget talks to Jim and Matt read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Rick Story Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

Donald Cerrone is starting to gain steam as a welterweight. The longtime lightweight contender picked up his third consecutive victory in the 170-pound division with a second-round technical knockout read news >>

UFC 202 Results: Donald Cerrone Picture Perfect in TKO of Rick Story

Donald Cerrone's welterweight hot streak continued at UFC 202 on Saturday night with a picture-perfect finish of Rick Story. read news >>

UFC 202 Fight Highlights: Donald Cerrone Finishes Rick Story with Stunning Combination

Check out the UFC 202 fight highlights from the bout between Donald Cerrone and Rick Story. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Willing to Fight at 155 or 170 at UFC 205 in New York (Video)

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone challenged lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez following his UFC 202 win over Rick Story, wants to fight at UFC 205 in New York. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Adds to Legacy with His 18th UFC Victory

Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone was victorious at UFC 202 with a stellar performance against one of the toughest outs in the entire welterweight division. He dispatched Rick Story inside of two rounds with a read news >>

Donald Cerrone Happy with Difficult Win, Taking Aim at UFC 205 in New York

Donald Cerrone overcame difficult circumstances to win at UFC 202 over the weekend, now his sights are set on UFC 205 at Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Inks New 8-Fight UFC Deal

• a day ago

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone appears hell bent on riding out his career in the Octagon, as he's signed a new 8-fight deal with the UFC. read news >>