Donald Cerrone found himself in an unenviable position Saturday night, when he was matched against friend and former teammate Melvin Guillard in the co-main event of UFC 150.

Cerrone emerged victorious from the lightweight clash at Denver’s Pepsi Center, but the win did not come easily, even after Cerrone found himself in the driver’s seat by flooring Guillard with a vicious right.

Guillard -- who trained with Cerrone at Jackson’s MMA in Albuquerque, N.M., before relocating to Florida and joining the Blackzilians -- fell face first to the mat, primed to receive one last haymaker from his former sparring partner. The blow did not come. Instead, Cerrone began to position himself for a rear-naked choke before the bout was waved off by referee Josh Rosenthal.

“[Before the fight], a lot of people were asking me, ‘Will it be hard to finish a teammate?’ And I would say, ‘No,’” Cerrone said at the post-fight press conference. “[But when I was] actually there with that finishing blow, it was very hard. So instead, I went for the choke.”

Though Cerrone’s flourish to finish the fight was an impressive one, it appeared early that it would actually be Guillard’s night. Cerrone came out aggressively and paid for it, as Guillard dropped him with a hard counter left hook and immediately pursued the knockout, launching an extended flurry of strikes as Cerrone did his best to circle away and recover.

“I was extremely hurt, especially from the knee to the body,” said Cerrone. It took everything in me to just fight through it and keep going. That was probably the worst I’ve ever been injured in a fight. All I could think of was just sucking it up and keeping my composure [so I could] keep going.”

His wits only partially regained, Cerrone dramatically turned the tide of the bout by launching a whipping lead-leg high kick that buzzed Guillard’s skull put him on wobbly legs. The previously described right hand would follow just moments later.

“Frankly, I thought I just grazed the top of him. I didn’t realize I connected as well as I did. Thankfully, I did, and I was able to follow with the right hand. In training, that’s what I was working on. He drops his hands and fades off that way a lot,” said Cerrone. “He came out very explosive and very aggressive, just like I thought he would. I came in too amped up. I’ve got to work on that. He came out and hit me hard, just like I figured he would.”

A Colorado native, Cerrone says that his haste in trying to take the fight to Guillard was due in part to his excitement over fighting in front of a hometown crowd.

“The feeling was unbelievable. I’ve fought here a number of times, and this was the most energy I’ve ever felt,” said Cerrone. “I wanted to just stop and [look around] and do a full circle. It was incredible.”

Another victory now listed among his 19 career wins, Cerrone can look toward his next challenge. “Cowboy” previously named Anthony Pettis as the lightweight he would next like to face. When asked if that attitude still holds true, Cerrone did not mince words.

“That’s a fight I definitely would like. Let’s sign it today.”

Brandon Thatch admits loss to Benson Henderson still stings

LAS VEGAS -- Brandon Thatch talks about fighting Gunnar Nelson at UFC 189, getting over his loss to Benson Henderson, why it still stings and more. read news >>

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 12) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

This is the end ... beautiful friend. The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later tonight (Weds., July 8, 2015) -- for the final time this season -- featuring episode 12 of the combat read news >>

American Top Team owner admits UFC wouldn't have been as big as it is now if he had bought it

Dan Lambert was so close to buying the UFC in 2001 that he had a deposit down and there was a closing date scheduled. But the American Top Team owner is glad it didn't work out. Lambert told Ariel He read news >>

Paulo Filho admits use of cocaine during WEC career, says Jon Jones will use it again

Former PRIDE star and WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho once was one of the best fighters in the world, but never really achieved what his teammates expected him to. For years, training partners read news >>

The Fighting Life: The Indomitable Spirit of Matt Brown

In mixed martial arts, there is little personal discovery to be found until the limits of a comfort zone are left behind. Adversity comes in many forms, and once the pressure is applied, the reality read news >>

UFC 189's Rory MacDonald admits he mailed it in against Robbie Lawler in their first fight

"Canadian Psycho" is more than ready for his second shot at "Ruthless" as the two fight for UFC's welterweight strap next weekend after previously competing against each other at UFC 167 in Nov. 2013 read news >>

Chael Sonnen upset with Chad Mendes; posts his number publicly on Facebook

Chael Sonnen punishes Chad Mendes for avoiding his calls. Chad Mendes recently found out the hard way what happens when you 'p**s off a gangster'. According to Chael Sonnen, the #2 ranked featherweig read news >>

UFC 189's Rory MacDonald: 'My hunger was not there' in first fight with Lawler

MONTREAL – Rory MacDonald admits his passion for competition had fizzled prior to his first encounter with Robbie Lawler at UFC 167.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White warns Yoel Romero: 'America doesn't want to hear your thoughts on Jesus'

Top middleweight contender Yoel Romero momentarily found himself in hot water after allegedly making an anti-gay remark following his victory over Lyoto Machida at last weekend's (Sat., June 27, 2015 read news >>

Best of 2015: MMA half-year awards (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Donald Cerrone has kicked off the year in style, but has he been the best in the sport? read news >>