Rich Franklin was headed back down to 185 pounds when he got the call from the UFC to replace an injured Vitor Belfort in the main event of UFC 147.

The former middleweight “Ace” was slated to face Cung Le at UFC 148 on July 7. Instead, he obliged the promotion’s request and moved up his calendar by two weeks, walking into hostile territory and taking a unanimous decision against Wanderlei Silva in a190-pound catch-weight contest at Felipe Drumond Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.

The win marked Franklin’s first in-cage appearance in 18 months and his first win in two years. The Ohio native had been sidelined since injuring his shoulder last summer while preparing for a meeting with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 133.

“There was a lot riding on this fight for me. I was coming off of shoulder surgery and a long layoff,” Franklin told Fox Sports. “I had my August fight [against Nogueira] canceled, and I was coming down to Wanderlei’s backyard. Plus, I accepted a fight that was two weeks ahead of the time frame against a completely different opponent.”

After controlling the majority of the first round, Franklin felt Silva’s punching power late in the second frame, eating a straight right hand that put him flat on his back. Though the ex-Pride champion did his best to finish, Franklin managed to protect himself long enough to hear the horn at the end of the frame.

“I don’t know [if I was out of it]. Honestly, I can’t remember. I’ll have to look at the tape,” said Franklin. “I know I got dropped. It’s not uncommon for me. It’s happened in many fights. It’s just something I’m used to working through, I guess.”

Franklin regained his legs in the third round, while Silva appeared exhausted from his attempt to end the bout. The American continually rifled out his jab, often doubling up as Silva searched for another opportunity to counter. The final two frames produced essentially the same, though Silva managed to gather the last of his strength for a rally with one minute remaining before being floored by Franklin’s last punch of the fight.

“We worked a lot this fight, just because I had so much downtime. My last fight was against Forrest [Griffin] last year in February,” said Franklin. “My [coaches] and I worked a lot on staying calm, just because I had been out of the Octagon for so long that I didn’t want to [expend all my energy] in the first round.”

Franklin now owns a pair of victories over the “Axe Murderer,” having previously outpointed Silva at UFC 99 three years ago. After sharing 40 total minutes of combat with the former Chute Boxe fighter, Franklin says that Silva owns his respect both in and outside the cage.

“Thank God I won this fight, but guys like Wanderlei, they are so respectful and such honorable opponents. Those are the kind of guys where, if you had to pick someone to lose to, they’re the ones you wouldn’t mind losing to,” said Franklin. “I know what it feels like to fight in my backyard and lose a big fight. Anderson [Silva] did the same thing to me [at UFC 77] in Cincinnati when I rematched him for the title.”

His “Fight of the Night”-winning performance now behind him, Franklin says that he hopes to finish his career at middleweight, ideally with a belt around his waist.

“The UFC didn’t want to do a third fight between Anderson and me, and that was understandable. I lost both of those fights pretty convincingly, but enough time has passed now,” said Franklin. “I’m not going to be able to make a title run at 205 [pounds]. I’m just not big enough. So, I talked to the UFC about dropping back down to 185. If I can put some wins together, then maybe we’ll shoot for a title before I retire. I’m 37, and I’m getting up there in years.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Georges St-Pierre 'not interested' in UFC return for the time being, but won't confirm retirement

  • 20 days ago
  • 6 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass put on the riveting UFC 186 pay-per-view (PPV) event in Montreal, Quebec, Canada last weekend (Sat., April 25, 2015) at the Bell Centre, but fight fans arou read news >>

Rashad Evans targets return by October, wants to 'jump right back into' contender fights

  • 21 days ago
  • 10 views

LOS ANGELES -- Fans hoping Rashad Evans will be back and ready to fight Ryan Bader in two months are going to have to wait. The former UFC light heavyweight champion told MMAFighting.com last week in read news >>

Before UFC deal, Cage Warriors champ Stevie Ray readied for retirement – at 24

  • 21 days ago
  • 1 views

With the volatile and fickle nature of professional MMA, careers can rise and fall in the blink of any eye. Just ask Scotland’s Stevie Ray. In the space of just two weeks, he went from seriously cont read news >>

Mayweather-Pacquiao: 'Money' wants one more fight after 'Pac Man,' but risks historic boxing curse

  • 23 days ago
  • 19 views

It's a good thing Floyd Mayweather (47-0) not a grizzled veteran cop, otherwise he might have just signed his own death warrant. The Washington Post reports that Mayweather -- with his upcoming ludic read news >>

Mark Munoz sells Reign Training Center ahead of retirement fight at UFC Fight Night 66

  • 23 days ago
  • 5 views

After deciding that his next fight -- which will be against Luke Barnatt at UFC Fight Night 66 on May 23, 2015 in Manila, Philippines -- would be his last, Mark Munoz took another step in his process read news >>

Jon Jones to appear in court today, lawyer provides first comments on felony hit-and-run charge

  • 24 days ago
  • 6 views

Jon Jones will be headed to court this afternoon. The UFC light heavyweight champion is due to appear before Judge Rosemary Dominguez at 1 p.m. local time at the Albuquerque Metro Court in New Mexico read news >>

On Eve of MMA Retirement, Mark Munoz Sells Reign Training Center

  • 24 days ago
  • 18 views

Reign Training Center, the California MMA gym that cultivated standouts like Jake Ellenberger and Uriah Hall, is no more. That's according to Mark Munoz, the UFC middleweight who owns the center and read news >>

Morning Report: Rafael dos Anjos hoping for rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov before superfight with Conor McGregor

  • 25 days ago
  • 24 views

It's no surprise who UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos is hoping to face in his first title defense. Lightweight contenders Khabib Nurmagomedov and Donald Cerrone battle for the shot May 23 a read news >>

Ex-UFC site coordinator Burt Watson headed to AXS TV's 'RFA vs. Legacy FC' event

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

Former UFC site coordinator Burt Watson will be a special guest and host at next month’s “AXS TV Fights: RFA vs. Legacy Superfight” event.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>