Mir drives home the knee to Nelson's head

Mir drives home the knee to Nelson's head

Frank Mir destorys Roy Nelson at UFC 130.

Former two-time UFC heavyweight titleholder Frank Mir dominated Roy Nelson in every aspect of their UFC 130 match up on Saturday, winning by unanimous decision.

Nelson initiated the clinch early in the first round. Mir fended off the early takedown attempts and delivered several knees to the head of Nelson inside the clinch.

In the closing minute of the first round, Mir executed a throw that put Nelson on his back. Mir proceeded to mount Nelson before “Big Country” escaped back to his feet.

As the fight wore on, it became more and more one-sided. Mir secured two takedowns in the second stanza and continued to dominate the fight.

Fatigue set in on Nelson during the second round. He took deep breaths and launched winging right hands hoping one would find its mark.

In the final round, Mir used wrestling to repeatedly take Nelson to the canvas. Nelson displayed his heart by getting up each time, but only to be put on his back again.

It was an easy fight for the judges to score and all saw it unanimously for Frank Mir.

“I trained with too many smaller guys for this camp and I paid for it tonight,” Nelson said after the loss. “His wrestling was something I wasn’t expecting and I just got tired. I’m looking forward to getting my gym time back so that I can work on getting bigger and stronger.”

“Wrestling was my main focus in this camp and I think it worked out well for me tonight,” Mir said following the win. “I’d rate my performance as a seven (out of 10). I expected to win the grappling aspect. It went even better than I had a planned. I felt like I was able to win in every aspect of the fight. Roy is really tough and I’m glad to leave here with the win.”

“Keep getting better, keep improving,” said Mir about what is next for him.  “Fight for the belt again.  It’s every fighters’ dream.”

UFC 200 Video: Counterpunch – Cormier vs. Jones 2

Insults fly when UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and interim titleholder Jon Jones discuss their upcoming rematch in a heated interview. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Cormier vs. Jones 2 — It’s Time Preview (Full Episode)

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and interim titleholder Jon Jones prepare to unify that division’s belt, and Brock Lesnar returns at UFC 200. read news >>

Roy Nelson: ‘Derrick Lewis is the Black Fedor’ (Full Scrum Video)

Heading into his UFC Fight Night 90 "black panty night" co-main event, Roy Nelson calls his opponent, knockout artist Derrick Lewis, the Black Fedor. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Results: Derrick Lewis Takes Split Decision Over Roy Nelson, Calls for Rematch

Rising heavyweight Derrick Lewis requested a fight against tenth ranked Roy Nelson and got what he asked for on Thursday in the UFC Fight Night 90 co-main event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Roy Nelson vs. Derrick Lewis Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC FN 90

Derrick Lewis defeated Roy Nelson by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) at UFC Fight Night 90. It was a clash of styles, and the Las Vegas crowd was not a fan of the scorecards that were read. We w read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

UFC 100 was headlined by Brock Lesnar's obliteration of Frank Mir. UFC 200 got its own Brock Lesnar moment when the WWE star defeated Mark Hunt in the evening's co-main event via unanimous decision S read news >>

Conor McGregor and Holly Holm Win ESPYS

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor and former women's bantamweight titleholder Holly Holm took home ESPY awards Wednesday night at ESPN's annual award show. read news >>

Roy Nelson Joins Georges St-Pierre, Mike Tyson and Gina Carano in Kickboxer: Retaliation

Roy Nelson has joined Georges St-Pierre, Mike Tyson, and Gina Carano as part of the cast of the upcoming Kickboxer: Retaliation. read news >>

Legacy FC 58 Results and Highlights: BJJ Champ Makenzie Dern Dominates in Debut

In her mixed martial arts debut tonight, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu world champion Mackenzie Dern dominated Kenia Rosas. read news >>

Invicta FC 18 Results: Alexa Grasso Dominates Jodie Esquibel, Agnieszka Niedźwiedź Remains Unbeaten

• 16 hours ago

On Friday, July 29, Invicta Fighting Championships hosted Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel from the historic Scottish Rite Temple. read news >>