Dong Hyun Kim worked his way to a unanimous decision over Nate Diaz in their UFC 125 affair. All three judges scored the fight 29-28 in favor of the Korean fighter, improving his undefeated record to 14-0-1 with one no contest.

Dong Hyun Kim and Nate Diaz at UFC 125

Dong Hyun Kim and Nate Diaz at UFC 125

Kim entered the arena to a the classic PRIDE theme song — a musical selection that has been very popular in the UFC, of late. “Stun Gun” worked towards his strength and took Diaz down at just one minute into the first round. From that position, Kim worked from Diaz’s guard and tried to pass into a more advantageous position. While standing over Diaz, Kim landed a clean right hand that clearly solidified the round for him. Diaz had no answer for Kim for the rest of the opening stanza.

Round two was more of the same from Kim, as he took Diaz down with a clean leg sweep and landed in the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fighter’s guard. Although he was on his back for a majority of the round, Diaz did well to prevent Kim from getting anywhere passed half guard. Diaz was able to get the fight back to the feet for just a brief moment before Kim brought him back to the canvas.

Later in the round, Diaz transitioned and was able to get Kim on his back, to the delight of the MGM Grand crowd, but Kim scrambled to get away. Because of his ability to control Diaz for a second consecutive round, Kim found himself up two rounds to none heading into the final five minutes of the fight.

Round three had Diaz come back to life a bit, but a controversial knee to the Kim’s head had Yves Lavigne call a timeout. Kim’s left hand was on the canvas when Diaz threw the knee, which is illegal under the unified rules of mixed martial arts. Fortunately, the fight continued since Kim was clearly able to carry on.

Several transitions between the two grapplers ensued, but a failed hip toss by Kim opened up an opportunity for Diaz to land a nice head kick from behind. A clinch from behind also allowed for some punches from Diaz, but it wasn’t enough for the judges, as they gave Kim the nod unanimously.

After the fight, Kim stood with Joe Rogan and seemed to express his dislike for his own performance.

“I wasn’t able to charge my ‘stun gun’ this time,” Kim said following the win. “But my next fight…I’ll charge my ‘stun gun.’”

Regardless of the lack of charge in the “stun gun,” Kim was bold enough call out the welterweight champion.

“My name is ‘Stun Gun.’ I want GSP,” he said.

Diaz, an Ultimate Fighter winner, loses his first fight in his last three outings, but a 3-3 record in his last six fights doesn’t look very impressive. The loss was Diaz’s first since coming up to the 170 pound division.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White: Conor McGregor has been pulled from UFC 200 headliner vs. Nate Diaz

  • 11 days ago
  • 55 views

The UFC 200 main event between featherweight champion Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz is off, promotion President Dana White said today. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Nate Diaz Will Fight at UFC 200 Despite Conor McGregor Being Pulled

  • 8 days ago
  • 17 views

The main event at UFC 200 is up in the air after Conor McGregor was pulled from his fight against Nate Diaz, but the card for the July 9 event will still include Diaz. UFC President Dana White told r read news >>

Twitter reacts to Conor McGregor being pulled from UFC 200 vs. Nate Diaz

  • 11 days ago
  • 57 views

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday night that featherweight champ Conor McGregor had been pulled from his UFC 200 main event rematch with Nate Diaz. See how social media reacted to the news. read news >>

Dana White: ‘I Didn’t Want Nate Diaz to Get Screwed Up in This Whole Deal’

  • 10 days ago
  • 182 views

When Conor McGregor was pulled from the UFC 200 fight card, Nate Diaz was left without an opponent. Dana White hopes to rectify that. read news >>

UFC 199's Dustin Poirier offers to replace Conor McGregor and fight Nate Diaz at UFC 200

  • 10 days ago
  • 20 views

Dustin Poirier has another fight on his schedule, but he’s willing to replace it or supplement it if it means a bout with Nate Diaz at UFC 200.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

With McGregor bout off, Nate Diaz says 'I don't have any interest in fighting at all'

  • 8 days ago
  • 17 views

At today’s UFC 200 press conference, UFC President Dana White killed any remaining hope of salvaging the originally scheduled main event rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor.Filed under: Feat read news >>

Dana White: If Conor McGregor calls me now, the fight with Nate Diaz is back on

  • 11 days ago
  • 40 views

UFC President Dana White says UFC featherweight champ Conor McGregor can still change his mind and fight at UFC 200. But there’s one thing White isn’t budging on: McGregor needs to promote.Filed unde read news >>

Dana White Video: Why Conor McGregor was Pulled and How He Could Return to UFC 200

  • 10 days ago
  • 269 views

Dana White explained why Conor McGregor got pulled from UFC 200, and also discussed whether or not he could get back on the fight card. read news >>

Why UFC 200: Diaz vs. McGregor 2? Because Conor McGregor Gets What He Wants

  • 27 days ago
  • 177 views

Although a proposed rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor left many shaking their heads, the fight was still made. Because McGregor gets what he wants. read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on 3-Year UFC Anniversary Ahead of Nate Diaz Rematch

  • 24 days ago
  • 11 views

Wednesday marked the three-year anniversary of Conor McGregor's induction into the ranks of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and The Notorious made sure to remind his peers of the date prior to hi read news >>