Tyson Griffin

Tyson Griffin

Tyson Griffin has long been considered one of the top fighters in the UFC’s lightweight division. He flirted with title contention, amassing seven wins and only two losses in his first nine bouts in the Octagon.

That’s when he hit a skid that lasted three fights.

It’s not like Griffin lost to nobodies. He dropped three-straight to Evan Dunham, Takanori Gomi, and Nik Lentz; the Dunham and Lentz bouts by razor-thin split decisions.

Having made the drop to featherweight once before in his career – he defeated former WEC kingpin Urijah Faber to win the Gladiator Challenge featherweight title – Griffin was confident that he could do it again.

“The weight cut was easier than I thought (it would be),” Griffin told MMAWeekly Radio after taking the plunge at UFC on Versus 4.

Having fought some of the best in the 155-pound division, Griffin didn’t want to do anything less at 145. He started his latest phase in the division against Top 10 ranked Manny Gamburyan, walking away with a unanimous decision victory.

Griffin doesn’t want to slow down either. He wants to keep racing head-on into the best that the UFC has to offer, not work his way up from the bottom of the barrel.

“I think I stack up great (at 145). I’m ready to fight more contenders and establish myself as number one,” he said.

“I’m ready to sign a fight with Kenny Florian or Chad Mendes or anybody that’s fought for the title or they consider number one. If Jose Aldo gets lined up for a fight and somebody gets injured, I’ll fight Jose Aldo next. I don’t care.”

That’s definitely aiming right at the top, but it’s not like Griffin isn’t used to fight top tier talent. He may be in a new weight class, fighting a slightly smaller version of the competition he faced at 155, but nothing’s changed. Griffin didn’t leave his skill set behind when he dropped 10 extra pounds.

“I’m definitely ready for the challenge.”

From Around the Web

Video: Watch Carla Esparza earn a UFC title by downing Rose Namajunas

Carla Esparza has long been considered one of the top 115-pounders on the planet, but you don’t earn a UFC title based on reputation.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Josh Koscheck considered punching Jake Ellenberger in the balls

"Not taking anything from (Jake Ellenberger), but I fight nine out of 10 times, I smash him. But that's part of the game. He caught me, and I just think he was the better man that night because I mad read news >>

Video: UFC gal Arianny Celeste disrobes, takes over Playboy headquarters

Even though they are both considered to be "outstanding women," Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey is not impressed with UFC Octagon girl Arianny Celes read news >>

UFC 184 results, photos: Accidental eye poke shuts down Roman Salazar vs. 'Kid' Yamamoto

LOS ANGELES – It was not likely the way Norifumi Yamamoto wanted to come back after a layoff in excess of 1,000 days.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 184 live analysis (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Follow along live as UFC women's bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey defends her title against fellow undefeated fighter Cat Zingano. read news >>

UFC 184 prelims results: Lewis, Means pick up TKO wins

Derrick Lewis and Tim Means scored TKO victories in their respective UFC 184 preliminary card bouts. Derrick Lewis and Tim Means didn't need the full fifteen minutes to get the job done in their UFC read news >>

UFC 184 results, photos: Tim Means looks 'Dirty' good in first-round TKO of Dhiego Lima

LOS ANGELES – Tim Means took very little time to make a statement against Dhiego Lima, stopping his opponent with strikes at 2:17 of the first round.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 184 results: Derrick Lewis ground-and-pounds way to win over Ruan Potts

Derrick Lewis' flaws are probably going to keep him from becoming a serious heavyweight contender. But woe be to the opponent who finds himself on the wrong end of "The Black Beast's" heavy hands. Le read news >>

UFC 184 results, photos: Derrick Lewis blasts Ruan Potts for second-round TKO

LOS ANGELES – Ruan Potts didn’t have much to offer Derrick Lewis, who was able to take his time in the second round for a convincing TKO.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>