Over the years more than a few prominent kickboxers have made the switch to MMA, but there has always been a mixed bag of results.

For every former champion like Maurice Smith, there’s also a name like Stefan Leko, who did quite well in kickboxing, but then stumbled, crashed and burned in his MMA career.

Over the past year, kickboxing powerhouse Tyrone Spong has been training his complete MMA game to ensure that he lands more on the Maurice Smith side of things and a little less on the Stefan Leko page. Spong has been a main training partner for the Blackzilians in Florida, where he works with fighters like Rashad Evans, Alistair Overeem and Anthony Johnson on a daily basis.

The training has paid off and Spong will finally make his MMA debut this Saturday night at World Series of Fighting.

“You’ve got to take your time to orientate yourself, what you’re getting yourself into. I’m a kickboxer, I’m a striker, so I had to work on my ground game and I wanted to take my time to do so. I’m not saying I’m a world class grappler or world class wrestler right now, but right now I’d say I understand the game good enough to put on a good show for the fans,” Spong answered when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio about why this is the right time for his debut.

Those who do not know history’s mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Spong has studied that ideal quite a bit as he heads into his debut fight, and that’s why he put in more than a year of MMA training before officially making the move. He didn’t want to be another unsuccessful case of a kickboxer trying to make it in MMA.

Spong wants to be the new standard and not the exception to the rule.

“That’s why I took my time. I did my proper training with the right people. I’m not afraid to submit myself and listen because a lot of strikers are very hard headed, and if you’re a striker it’s kind of hard to do the ground stuff, and it’s kind of boring sometimes because you’re used to something else,” said Spong.

“I totally submitted myself to my coaches and my teammates, and listened to what I have to do. I was just a student. I just started from scratch.”

The training and time paid off, but Spong understands it’s all theoretical until he steps into the cage. If all of the work was done correctly, Spong believes every light heavyweight in the world should be worried about his entry into the sport.

“I’m a guy they should keep in mind,” said Spong. “I’m a threat to the 205-pound division.”

(Photo credit: Ryan Loco)

Watch the World Series of Fighting Prelims LIVE on MMAWeekly.com, Saturday at 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT.

Harris hopes to make most of rivals' big shot

Cody East is making his UFC debut after impressing on 'Dana White: Lookin' for a Fight' - but it's his UFC 197 opponent Walt Harris who is hoping to make the most of the opportunity. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Henry Cejudo Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 197

Another Demetrious Johnson fight, another promising contender in the flyweight division turned away. Mighty Mouse used the co-main event at UFC 197 on Saturday to defend his UFC flyweight title again read news >>

Matt Mitrione to Make Bellator Debut in Dynamite 2 Co-Main Event

Matt Mitrione will make his Bellator debut in the co-main event of Dynamite 2. read news >>

UFC 197 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

He's back. Jon Jones returned at UFC 197 in dominant fashion against Ovince Saint Preux. The lopsided decision victory netted him the interim UFC light heavyweight championship, but that is a consola read news >>

There’s No Denying the Vanilla Gorilla

If he wins at Saturday's Titan FC 38, Chase Sherman hopes that his fourth win in a row will be enough to put him in the UFC. read news >>

Bellator's Jordan Parsons Has Full Leg Amputated After Hit-and-Run Collision

• 16 hours ago

Jordan Parsons, 25, a fighter competing in Bellator MMA's featherweight division, has lost his entire right leg after falling victim to a hit-and-run vehicle collision early Sunday morning in Florida read news >>

UFC 197’s Ovince Saint Preux expects the Jones that dominated light heavyweight division

LAS VEGAS – So far, the guy who’s given the most trouble to Jon Jones inside the octagon is Alexander Gustafsson. So it would be logical for Ovince Saint Preux to follow Gustafsson’s strategy.Filed u read news >>

Bellator 153's Patricio Freire plans to keep breaking records on way back to title

For his first fight back after losing Bellator’s featherweight title, things could’ve been a little better for Patricio Freire. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Twitter reacts to Conor McGregor's statement (and the takes are extra hot)

Today Conor McGregor again shook up the MMA world when, less than 48 hours after announcing his “retirement,” the UFC champ took to Facebook to clarify that promise. Check out the reactions.Filed und read news >>