Over the years more than a few prominent kickboxers have made the switch to MMA, but there has always been a mixed bag of results.

For every former champion like Maurice Smith, there’s also a name like Stefan Leko, who did quite well in kickboxing, but then stumbled, crashed and burned in his MMA career.

Over the past year, kickboxing powerhouse Tyrone Spong has been training his complete MMA game to ensure that he lands more on the Maurice Smith side of things and a little less on the Stefan Leko page. Spong has been a main training partner for the Blackzilians in Florida, where he works with fighters like Rashad Evans, Alistair Overeem and Anthony Johnson on a daily basis.

The training has paid off and Spong will finally make his MMA debut this Saturday night at World Series of Fighting.

“You’ve got to take your time to orientate yourself, what you’re getting yourself into. I’m a kickboxer, I’m a striker, so I had to work on my ground game and I wanted to take my time to do so. I’m not saying I’m a world class grappler or world class wrestler right now, but right now I’d say I understand the game good enough to put on a good show for the fans,” Spong answered when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio about why this is the right time for his debut.

Those who do not know history’s mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Spong has studied that ideal quite a bit as he heads into his debut fight, and that’s why he put in more than a year of MMA training before officially making the move. He didn’t want to be another unsuccessful case of a kickboxer trying to make it in MMA.

Spong wants to be the new standard and not the exception to the rule.

“That’s why I took my time. I did my proper training with the right people. I’m not afraid to submit myself and listen because a lot of strikers are very hard headed, and if you’re a striker it’s kind of hard to do the ground stuff, and it’s kind of boring sometimes because you’re used to something else,” said Spong.

“I totally submitted myself to my coaches and my teammates, and listened to what I have to do. I was just a student. I just started from scratch.”

The training and time paid off, but Spong understands it’s all theoretical until he steps into the cage. If all of the work was done correctly, Spong believes every light heavyweight in the world should be worried about his entry into the sport.

“I’m a guy they should keep in mind,” said Spong. “I’m a threat to the 205-pound division.”

(Photo credit: Ryan Loco)

Watch the World Series of Fighting Prelims LIVE on MMAWeekly.com, Saturday at 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT.

Alaska's Mitchell hoping to jolt Ultimate Fighter rivals

In a flyweight division that doesn’t have the amount of finishes other divisions do, Anchorage, Alaska's Terrence Mitchell is one of those people that can immediately provide a jolt as he enters seas read news >>

Improved Elliott hopes Ultimate Fighter gives him 2nd UFC chance

Former UFC fighter Tim Elliott has made many changes to his life, personally and professionally, since his last Octagon visit. Now, he hopes a chance in The Ultimate Fighter leads to a UFC return and read news >>

Dan Henderson: ‘Win or Lose This is My Last Fight’ (UFC 204 Video)

Dan Henderson hopes to add the UFC middleweight championship to his collection at UFC 204. But win or lose, he intends to walk off into the sunset. read news >>

My First Fight: Urijah Faber | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Harry How/Zuffa LLC Everyone—or almost everyone—loves a good origin story. From the New Testament to the neverending deaths of Bruce Wayne’s parents and Peter Parker’s uncle, we’re fascinate read news >>

CM Punk: MMA is a Vacation (UFC 203 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk talks about his journey into MMA before his first fight at UFC 203 on Sept. 10 in Cleveland. read news >>

Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans Set for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy will return to the Octagon to welcome Rashad Evans to the middleweight division at UFC 205. read news >>

UFC Statement on CB Dollaway

UFC announced that CB Dollaway has had to withdraw from his scheduled bout at UFC 203 due to an injury he suffered last night as a result of an elevator accident at a hotel in Cleveland. read news >>

Joanne Calderwood vs. Jessica Andrade Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The strawweight division was put on notice after Jessica Andrade (15-5) dispatched Jessica Penne at UFC 199, and now the upper echelon is on red alert. Andrade walked through Joanne Calderwood (11-3) read news >>

UFC Fight Night 94 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Poirier vs. Johnson Card

The UFC lightweight division has a new title contender in Michael Johnson. It didn't take long for Johnson to show the world he means business in this division, knocking out Poirier after 95 seconds. read news >>

Goodbye Gridlock: UFC's Top 10 Middleweights All Fight in Next 2 Months

It’s hard to believe, but the UFC middleweight division has never really recovered from Anderson Silva losing his title back in 2013. Once a pillar of consistency during Silva’s near seven-year reign read news >>