Tyron Woodley will finally get his shot at Strikeforce gold on Saturday when he meets Nate Marquardt for the promotion’s vacant welterweight title.

Ahead of the matchup, Woodley joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, what a win would mean and more.

On what he expects from Marquardt: “I’m just expecting the best Nate. The fact that he’s making a weight cut, whether or not he’s coming off TRT, whether his body’s feeling differently or he hasn’t fought in a year -- all those things, I just kind of don’t even factor in. I just factor that I’m feeling good. I’m going to go out there and fight hard. I’m going to win this fight and I’m going to be a world champion.”

On the fight being scheduled for five rounds: “It matters, but the thing that’s more important than five rounds is the preparation that went behind this fight. The amount of notice, the amount of time granted to get prepared -- I had the time I needed. I didn’t have to feel like I was rushing and pressuring myself and doing a crash course on getting in shape to make sure I was tiptop. I was able to be progressional and I was able to peak. I’ll be ready to roll. I’ll be at my best on Saturday.”

On whether he’ll follow Chael Sonnen’s game plan against Marquardt: “I think I’ve got to not so much follow a particular game plan of someone else because that person has a different body. They fight a different way. Chael, he’s going to walk forward, as you saw this past weekend. That’s his style. That’s not going to be my style. I can take some of the things that he does well and I can implement those things into my game plan as well as some other opponents who had some good moments against Nate, even if they didn’t win. You’ve got to look at weaknesses of your opponent and try to sharpen yourself up and also look at it from his point of view, what things he might be looking at, that he thinks he can exploit of mine, and make sure I close those gaps.”

On Marquardt’s submission game: “He has a good guillotine choke, a good kimura, goes for good leg locks and he’s a strong individual, but I think the team I fight for has some of the best jiu-jitsu practitioners in the world. … If I’m in half guard, I don’t have to worry about getting hit with a triangle or armbar. It’s not going to happen. I’ve just got to worry about getting swept or leg locked or get put in a guillotine or a kimura, but I won’t have to worry about the posture that I’ll have to keep to get out of an armbar or a triangle. I just know when I get to certain spots what to look out for and also which ways I can be offensive.”

On whether Marquardt has an edge in experience: “I’ve probably wrestled 2,000 or 3,000 wrestling matches in my life. Experience is experience. Having to make weight, getting butterflies, competing against top-notch people -- that’s experience.”

On what a win would mean: “I feel as if I’m the uncrowned champion already. I think it will get me the respect I deserve. It will crack me into the top 10, where I should be. It will put my city, my gym, everybody who supports me, it will put us on the map where we should be.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:29:55).

UFC 198 Free Fight: Cris Cyborg Topples Gina Carano

Cris "Cyborg" Justino won the first ever Strikeforce women's featherweight championship in convincing fashion by taking out Gina Carano back in 2009. read news >>

Jason Novelli Heads into Titan FC 38 Co-Main Event Planning a Big Career Year

Finally getting his training on track, Jason Novelli heads into Saturday's Titan FC 38 with plans for it to be a career year for him. read news >>

UFC and Bellator Veteran Lavar Johnson Sentenced to Five Years for Domestic Violence

Former UFC, Bellator, and Strikeforce fighter Lavar Johnson was sentenced on Friday to five years in prison for domestic violence. read news >>

Overeem ready to finally claim his long-awaited title shot

Alistair Overeem’s journey to the top of the UFC’s heavyweight division hasn’t gone quite as fast as expected. But on Sunday night, he gets his chance to make good on squandered opportunities by secu read news >>

Cyborg vs. Leslie Smith Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino finally made her UFC debut, and while it wasn't against the opponent everyone once expected, she delivered a predictable result. Cyborg defeated Leslie Smith via first-roun read news >>

Stipe Miocic Finally Breaks Veteran Stranglehold on UFC Heavyweight Title

Back in January, after a scheduled matchup between Stipe Miocic and Fabricio Werdum was postponed due to a Werdum injury, the Brazilian UFC heavyweight champ threw a little shade in the direction of read news >>

What's next for 'Cyborg' in the UFC? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Cris Justino finally made her UFC debut on Saturday night, but don't expect a superfight with Ronda Rousey anytime soon. read news >>

What's next for 'Cyborg' in the UFC? (Yahoo Sports)

Tyron Woodley Challenges Robbie Lawler for the Welterweight Title at UFC 201

Buckle up, Atlanta. UFC 201 is coming to the Peach State with a welterweight title showdown. No. 1-ranked champion Robbie Lawler (26-10) defends his title against No. 4-ranked Tyron Woodley (15-3). T read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley Headline UFC 201 on July 30

Welterweight champion "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler is set to defend his title against third-ranked contender Tyron Woodley in the UFC 201 main event in Atlanta on July 30. read news >>