Tyron Woodley will finally get his shot at Strikeforce gold on Saturday when he meets Nate Marquardt for the promotion’s vacant welterweight title.

Ahead of the matchup, Woodley joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, what a win would mean and more.

On what he expects from Marquardt: “I’m just expecting the best Nate. The fact that he’s making a weight cut, whether or not he’s coming off TRT, whether his body’s feeling differently or he hasn’t fought in a year -- all those things, I just kind of don’t even factor in. I just factor that I’m feeling good. I’m going to go out there and fight hard. I’m going to win this fight and I’m going to be a world champion.”

On the fight being scheduled for five rounds: “It matters, but the thing that’s more important than five rounds is the preparation that went behind this fight. The amount of notice, the amount of time granted to get prepared -- I had the time I needed. I didn’t have to feel like I was rushing and pressuring myself and doing a crash course on getting in shape to make sure I was tiptop. I was able to be progressional and I was able to peak. I’ll be ready to roll. I’ll be at my best on Saturday.”

On whether he’ll follow Chael Sonnen’s game plan against Marquardt: “I think I’ve got to not so much follow a particular game plan of someone else because that person has a different body. They fight a different way. Chael, he’s going to walk forward, as you saw this past weekend. That’s his style. That’s not going to be my style. I can take some of the things that he does well and I can implement those things into my game plan as well as some other opponents who had some good moments against Nate, even if they didn’t win. You’ve got to look at weaknesses of your opponent and try to sharpen yourself up and also look at it from his point of view, what things he might be looking at, that he thinks he can exploit of mine, and make sure I close those gaps.”

On Marquardt’s submission game: “He has a good guillotine choke, a good kimura, goes for good leg locks and he’s a strong individual, but I think the team I fight for has some of the best jiu-jitsu practitioners in the world. … If I’m in half guard, I don’t have to worry about getting hit with a triangle or armbar. It’s not going to happen. I’ve just got to worry about getting swept or leg locked or get put in a guillotine or a kimura, but I won’t have to worry about the posture that I’ll have to keep to get out of an armbar or a triangle. I just know when I get to certain spots what to look out for and also which ways I can be offensive.”

On whether Marquardt has an edge in experience: “I’ve probably wrestled 2,000 or 3,000 wrestling matches in my life. Experience is experience. Having to make weight, getting butterflies, competing against top-notch people -- that’s experience.”

On what a win would mean: “I feel as if I’m the uncrowned champion already. I think it will get me the respect I deserve. It will crack me into the top 10, where I should be. It will put my city, my gym, everybody who supports me, it will put us on the map where we should be.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:29:55).

UFC 201 Video: Tyron Woodley Plans to Show He’s the Best Welterweight in the World

Tyron Woodley finally gets his shot at the UFC 170-pound title on Saturday when he faces champion Robbie Lawler in the UFC 201 main event. read news >>

Lawler vs. Woodley: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 201

Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley hit the scales on Friday ahead of their mouth-watering title bout at UFC 201, and both fighters came in dead on the 170-pound limit, per Fox Sports: UFC: The main even read news >>

UFC 201 Results: Tyron Woodley Knocks Out Robbie Lawler, Wins Welterweight Title

Tryon Woodley shocked Robbie Lawler in the main event at UFC 201, knocking out the champ and earning the welterweight title with a first-round stoppage on Saturday night in Atlanta. read news >>

HOT TWEETS: Tyron Woodley Blows Robbie Lawler, and Twitter, Away!

Not only did Tyron Woodley blow Robbie Lawler away at UFC 201, he did the same to Twitter! read news >>

UFC 201 Fight Highlights: Tyron Woodley Blasts Robbie Lawler

Check out the UFC 201 fight highlights from the main event showdown between Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley. read news >>

UFC 201 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Tyron Woodley to Robbie Lawler

UFC 201 is in the books. On paper, it looked like a forgettable card wedged between the madness of the milestone UFC 200 event and the promise of Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor at UFC 202; in practice, read news >>

Tyron Woodley Stops Granite-Chinned Robbie Lawler, Continuing UFC Chaos

Stepping into the cage for UFC 201 in Atlanta, Tyron Woodley must have felt at least a little bit out of his element. It had been 547 days between fights. In the interim, eight of the 10 UFC title be read news >>

Video: Dana White Gives His Immediate Reaction, Breaks Down UFC 201

Dana White gave his immediate reaction to UFC 201, a card that saw Tyron Woodley take out Robbie Lawler in the first round to win the 170-pound title. read news >>

Video: Tryon Woodley Passes on Stephen Thompson, Wants Nick Diaz at UFC 202

Newly crowned UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is out here calling for big money fights. Too bad for No. 1 contender Stephen Thompson because he apparently isn’t one of them. Woodley spoke dir read news >>

Tyron Woodley Calls out Nick Diaz and Georges St-Pierre After UFC 201 Title Win

After a long climb up the UFC's mountain of 170-pound talent, Tyron Woodley reached the top at UFC 201 by knocking out Robbie Lawler. Now the proud owner of a big gold belt, the newly minted welterwe read news >>