kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Twitter Mailbag: Wait, did UFC 205 just become the biggest MMA event ever?

Did UFC 205 just go from "missing something" to the best lineup ever assembled, all in about a week? Plus, is Jose Aldo right to be so mad at the UFC? And who has the edge in Saturday night's UFC Fig read news >>

Rashad Evans Breaks Down UFC Portland Headliner, John Dodson vs. John Lineker

Rashad Evans has accomplished a great deal in his UFC career, picking up the light heavyweight strap in the course of 20 fights with the promotion. The soon-to-be middleweight contender takes on Tim read news >>

Twitter reacts to yet another weigh-in miss by UFC Fight Night 96's John Lineker

John Lineker set a dubious UFC record this morning when he missed weight for the fifth time in his tenure with the promotion at UFC Fight Night 96 official weigh-ins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC fighter Josh Samman in coma

A reaction of shock and sadness has spread among friends and across social media with the news “The Ultimate Fighter 17” cast member and UFC veteran Josh Samman of Tallahassee was found unresponsive read news >>

Twitter reacts to 'Cowboy' Oliveira's upset TKO of Will Brooks at UFC Fight Night 96

Despite receiving much grief for missing weight by 5.5 pounds for his UFC Fight Night 96 appearance, Alex Oliveira managed to earn perhaps the biggest victory of his career when he defeated former Be read news >>

Twitter reacts to John Lineker's split-decision win over John Dodson in UFC Fight Night 96 headliner

Although he missed weight for the fifth time in UFC career prior to the contest, John Lineker picked up arguably the biggest victory of his career on Saturday when he defeated two-title UFC title cha read news >>

John Lineker and John Dodson Butt Heads, Twitter Chimes In! | MMAWeekly.com

After John Lineker won a split-decision victory over John Dodson at UFC Portland, many of their compatriots took to Twitter to express their opinions. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96: Twitter reacts to Lineker's win, Nick Diaz goe off

Fighters and Analysts react to John Lineker's split-decision win over John Dodson at UFC Fight Night 96. Nick Diaz rips Dodson.Bantamweight notablesJohn Lineker and John Dodson faced off Saturda read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social media plat read news >>

Twitter reacts to the death of UFC middleweight, 'Ultimate Fighter' veteran Josh Samman

The combat sports world suffered yet another loss today with the death of UFC middleweight Josh Samman.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>