kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Fighters react to new UFC drug testing policies on Twitter

It appears the general response from those fighters that took to social media during the UFC's recent press conference to announce their partnership with USADA was pretty entirely positive. It seems read news >>

How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Gracie mocks Caitlyn Jenner

The week's most interesting bits from the MMA and UFC twitter world. A few updates on what's been going on in the MMA & UFC Twitterverse -- There's a ton of tweets below, but first, don't forget to f read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 68 event in New Orleans, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those read news >>

They said what!? The fighters react to UFC Fight Night: Boetsch vs. Henderson on Twitter

Check out the best, worst, and most public thoughts of the UFC's own fighters as they watched UFC Fight Night New Orleans and live tweeted the action. Well hot damn! That was a night of real, high qu read news >>

Hot Tweets: UFC Fighters and Others React to Dan Henderson’s Win at UFC New Orleans

UFC fighters and other personalities took to Twitter to react to Dan Henderson's win, and we collected the best ones here. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Dan Henderson's knockout of Tim Boetsch at UFC Fight Night 68

Check out the reaction of MMA media and fighters to Dan Henderson’s shockingly quick TKO of Tim Boetsch in the main event of UFC Fight Night 68.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Maddux Maple -- Cody Garbrandt’s young muse -- to realize a dream at UFC 189

In January, after bantamweight Cody Garbrandt made good in his UFC debut against Marcus Brimage at UFC 182, he dedicated his performance to a little boy in the audience who had battled leukemia for t read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Boetsch staff picks and predictions

See who the Bloody Elbow staff is picking to win in every fight on tomorrow night's UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Boetsch card in New Orleans, Louisiana. Bloody Elbow's staff has entered its predict read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Giving the UFC its due for serious anti-doping efforts

In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, questions about what the UFC’s new anti-doping program really means for the sport, plus some speculation as to what would really be the best thing for Dan Henderson at read news >>

Donald Cerrone won't wait for UFC title shot, gets challenged by Michael Johnson on Twitter

Well, that didn't take very long. After telling mixed martial arts (MMA) fans he would sit out and wait for a title shot against the injured lightweight champion, Donald Cerrone took to social media read news >>