kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Twitter reacts to Stephen Thompson's KO of Johny Hendricks at UFC Fight Night 82

See how social media reacted to Stephen Thompson’s dominating knockout of Johny Hendricks in the UFC Fight Night 82 main event on Saturday night. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 82, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or share read news >>

Twitter reacts to UFC 197's dos Anjos-McGregor, Holm-Tate announcement

With UFC 197 now official, check out the top Twitter reactions to the Rafael dos Anjos vs. Conor McGregor and Holly Holm vs. Miesha Tate title fights set for March 5 in Las Vegas. Filed under: News, read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: On the CM Punk sweepstakes, Rousey's acting chops, and more

In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, is a contest between novice fighters for the right to fight CM Punk weird in a fun way or a dumb way? And are we seriously talking about another B.J. Penn comeback? Re read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 staff picks: Anyone picking Dominick Cruz to recapture gold?

The UFC’s second title fight of the new year features a former titleholder who has but one fight in the past four years – yet’s he’s a landslide favorite from our readers to unseat the champ. Filed u read news >>

Jon Anik picking Cruz over champ Dillashaw due to McGregor-like confidence

Jon Anik remembers the time he sat between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans prior to their fight at UFC 145. “They went 90 minutes straight, and after one minute (and 15 seconds), I didn’t say a word,” he read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Fight Card Highlights

UFC Fight Night 81 will take place Sunday, January 17. The fight card is headlined by a bantamweight title match between former champion Dominick Cruz and current champion T.J. Dillashaw. Cruz was fo read news >>

Twitter reacts to Eddie Alvarez's upset of Anthony Pettis at UFC Fight Night 81

Eddie Alvarez has accomplished much in his career, but at UFC Fight Night 81 he earned arguably his biggest victory to date against ex-UFC champ Anthony Pettis. Check out the top Twitter reactions to read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cruz's title-winning victory over Dillashaw at UFC Fight Night 81

Dominick Cruz took back what was formerly his when he regained the UFC bantamweight title with a split decision win over T.J. Dillashaw at UFC Fight Night 81. Check out the top Twitter reactions to C read news >>