Twitter love helped UFC 160's KJ Noons regroup after January loss

• submit to reddit

kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

T.J. Dillashaw made good on his promise to shock the world like Chris Weidman did against Anderson Silva by defeating Renan Barao, and, like Weidman, he’ll have to do it all over again at UFC 177.
MMA journalist Ariel Helwani reported on Wednesday’s episode of UFC Tonight that the UFC was close to booking a bantamweight championship rematch between Dillashaw and Barao. The bout would likely take place on the August 30 fight card in Sacramento. Dillashaw, who entered the first bout as an 8-to-1 u more

Finally, some good news in the world of MMA. I guess Dana White WAS interested after all.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president announced the latest addition to the women's bantamweight roster via Twitter, revealing that Holly Holm has finally inked a deal with ZUFFA-owned promotion
Check it out: Welcome to the UFC @_HOLLYHOLM pic.twitter.com/BxNVy8SYTR
— Dana White (@danawhite) July 10, 2014 After an initial meeting with Team Holm back in March, Dana White revealed that things didn more

• 18 hours ago

Check out the social media reaction from fighters, media members and celebrities after Dana White announced the January superfight between Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz. Filed under: News, UFC more

No women's competitor in the world can beat Ronda Rousey.
Not even Alexis Davis, Rousey's opponent at UFC 175. Rousey-Davis will co-headline the event along with the bout between Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida. For those looking for a back-and-forth contest from Rousey and Davis, you'll be left wanting more by the time the match is over.
Rousey is going to dominate.
It appears as if she's already attempting to intimidate Davis, as pointed out by Damon Martin of UFC.com: Rousey's latest display more

[autotag]Chael Sonnen[/autotag] remained a fixture in the world of MMA news when the UFC and FOX released him on Monday following a second failed drug test. On Tuesday, UFC President Dana White spoke about the decision he and the UFC were faced with after learning of Sonnen's second failed test. more

From Yahoo Sports: The must-see UFC champion finally has Anderson Silva in the rearview following his successful title defense against Lyoto Machida. more

Check out the social-media reactions from the winners and losers at Saturday’s UFC 175 event.Filed under: News, UFC more

UFC President Dana White may not read the Internet, as he often says, but for a majority of the MMA community, the sport lives and breaths through websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social media.Filed under: News, UFC more

It hasn't been a good day for the UFC flyweight division. Shortly after it was reported that top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) flyweight contender John Dodson would be sidelined for up to a year following ACL surgery, the 125-pound division was dealt another crushing blow.
Damon Martin of FOX Sports is reporting that Ali Bagautinov tested positive for Recombinant Human Erythropoietin (EPO) -- a hormone that controls red blood cell production -- after his title fight against 125-pound cham more