kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

From Around the Web

Josh Thomson and Ross Pearson verbally agree to UFC lightweight bangfest on Twitter

Oh, the power of social media. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) matchmakers Sean Shelby and Joe Silva have tough jobs putting together high-profile fights with the ever-increasing stable of UFC f read news >>

Twitter reacts to Erick Silva's submission of Josh Koscheck at UFC Fight Night 62

Erick Silva handed Josh Koscheck his fifth consecutive loss in UFC competition when he earned a first-round submission over the 25-fight octagon veteran in UFC Fight Night 62’s co-main event.Filed un read news >>

Twitter reacts to Demian Maia's victory over Ryan LaFlare at UFC Fight Night 62

After two failed bids in UFC main events, Demian Maia finally captured a victory in a headlining bout when he topped Ryan LaFlare at UFC Fight Night 62 in Rio de Janeiro. Filed under: Featured, News, read news >>

They said what!? The fighter reactions to UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Laflare on Twitter

Another huge smorgasbord of tweets from the UFC fighters watching Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare. A surprisingly solid night of action is in the books for the UFC. We saw a ton of finishes, a bevy of read news >>

UFC President Dana White says Wanderlei Silva a 'slave of his own doing'

Dana White responded to social media posts by Wanderlei Silva by claiming that anything that has happened to the MMA legend is of Silva’s own doing.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 62 event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social medi read news >>

UFC's Khabib Nurmagomedov summons Mike Tyson for latest Twitter gold

Khabib Nurmagomedov’s Twitter account is an endless treasure trove of goodness. For his latest posting, he summoned Mike Tyson.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Sympathy for Jose Aldo, big expectations for 'Raging' Al

This week’s Twitter Mailbag looks back at lessons learned from the UFC 189 world tour, and ahead to UFC Fight Night 63. Will there also be some discussion about “Cyborg” Justino’s “Brazilian bootay”? read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas staff picks and predictions

Check out who the Bloody Elbow staff is picking to win in every fight on tomorrow's special afternoon edition of UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas in Virginia. The Bloody Elbow staff has entered its read news >>