kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Twitter Reacts: UFC and MMA fighters celebrate Christmas on social media

The holiday season is here, and with no major events scheduled for the upcoming weekend, the MMA community had the rare opportunity to sit back, relax and celebrate with their loved ones.Filed under: read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cain Velasquez being pulled from UFC 207, including a replacement offer

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has been forced out of yet another fight. This time it’s his UFC 207 rematch with Fabricio Werdum that’s been scrapped. Just one week before the Dec. 30 read news >>

Nunes vs. Rousey: UFC 207 Odds, Predictions and Pre-Fight Twitter Hype

For a main event that has its fighters participating in little to no media this week, the silence has somehow created even more of a buildup to Friday night's bout between Amanda Nunes and Ronda Rous read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: UFC 207 is almost here, so where's Ronda Rousey?

In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, what’s really behind Ronda Rousey’s media blackout before UFC 207? And how will we remember UFC commentator Mike Goldberg now that his last event is upon us? All that read news >>

UFC 207 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Friday’s UFC 207 event in Las Vegas several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Twitter reacts to Amanda Nunes' 48-second starching of Ronda Rousey at UFC 207

Amanda Nunes said it was her time to reign atop the UFC women’s bantamweight division. She proved as much Friday with her first title defense against MMA superstar Ronda Rousey in the UFC 207 headlin read news >>

The secret behind former UFC champ Junior Dos Santos' impressive English? 'The Simpsons.' D'oh!

Watch former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos explain how watching “The Simpsons” helped him hone his language skills.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jimmie Rivera withdraws from UFC Fight Night 103 after picking Marlon Vera over John Dodson

After injury forced Bryan Caraway to withdraw from next week’s UFC Fight Night 103, opponent Jimmie Rivera has now pulled himself from the card, as well.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter, including Conor McGregor's team, reacts to UFC 209's Nurmagomedov-Ferguson interim title bout

The UFC will introduce yet another interim title when lightweight contenders Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson clash in UFC 209’s co-main event on March 4. Check out the reactions to the new figh read news >>

UFC Offers Free Fight Pass Weekend, Including 3 Live Events | MMAWeekly.com

UFC FIGHT PASS is presenting a free weekend beginning this Friday, January 13, which features 3 Live Events. read news >>