kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Diego Sanchez says Conor McGregor helped influence decision to drop to 145: ‘The guy is my size, if not bigger’

Diego Sanchez's career has been one long, meandering road when it comes to the scales. He debuted in the UFC a decade ago, winning The Ultimate Fighter 1 as a blown-up middleweight. Since then he's r read news >>

Morning Report: 'Washed up wrestler' CM Punk shames 'coward' Cathal Pendred over money in Twitter beef

The day grows near, fight fans. The day professional wrestler turned cage fighter CM Punk makes his long-awaited UFC debut. We know Punk will be there, but the real question has always been about the read news >>

CM Punk and UFC Welterweight Cathal Pendred Get into Epic Twitter Battle

It has been eight long months since CM Punk signed with the UFC, and the former pro wrestler still doesn't have a scheduled date or opponent for his debut. Cathal Pendred, welterweight who is 17-3-1, read news >>

CM Punk and Cathal Pendred battle on Twitter, perhaps angling for future fight?

Phil “CM Punk” Brooks and Cathal Pendred appear to be lining up a fight. Or they could merely be two touchy Twitter guys. Who knows?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

CM Punk and Cathal Pedred battle on Twitter, perhaps angling for future fight?

UFC Fight Night 73 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 73 event in Nashville, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to read news >>

Dustin Poirier says cutting back on sparring has helped in his resurgence

On Oct. 25, Dustin Poirier will once again brush up against the Irish. Only, this time instead of fighting a superstar Irishman in Las Vegas he’ll be fighting the guy who last beat the superstar in D read news >>

UFC Tweets of the Day: Rashad Evans and Ryan Bader beefing on twitter

UFC light heavyweights Rashad Evans and Ryan Bader are beefing on twitter. During the UFC event that featured Glover Teixeira picking up another quality win, two of his fellow top 5 light heavyweight read news >>

UFC fighters react to Teixeira's win and Dariush vs. Johnson robbery on Twitter

Here's how the pros reacted during the UFC: Teixeira vs OSP card from Nashville. TEIXEIRA FINALLY SHOWCASES MUCH HYPED GROUND GAME No judges needed. Slick rear naked choke finish for glover #Attnatio read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov desribes pleasant encounter with Anthony Pettis

Khabib Nurmagomedov describes his surprising encounter with former lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis Khabib Nurmagomedov and Anthony Pettis have traded blows on social media for months, but when t read news >>