kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Twitter reacts to Miesha Tate title defense announcement vs. Amanda Nunes at UFC 200

It’s not Holly Holm, nor is it Ronda Rousey. Instead it will be Amanda Nunes who challenges Miesha Tate for the UFC women’s bantamweight title at UFC 200. See how social media reacted to Wednesday ni read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov matchup appears it'll be limited to Twitter

Khabib Nurmagomedov and Donald Cerrone clearly want to fight, but it appears the matchup may be limited to social media for now.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: After all Jon Jones' troubles, why haven't fans flocked to Daniel Cormier's side?

In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continue to roll around in the mud together, most recently on social media. So why is it that Cormier is the one who always emerges lookin read news >>

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' KO of Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86

Derek Lewis has been the UFC’s most active heavyweight in recent years. And at UFC Fight Night 86, he picked up another victory with a first-round knockout of former title contender Gabriel Gonzaga.F read news >>

Twitter reacts to Junior Dos Santos' victory over Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night 86

Junior Dos Santos knew a victory over Ben Rothwell was essential in his quest to once again become a threat to the UFC heavyweight title. That’s exactly what he got.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86’s Derrick Lewis anticipates Roy Nelson at UFC 200 and a Twitter war

ZAGREB, Croatia – UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis called out Roy Nelson and wound up getting Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86. But now he wants to restore that callout of Nelson for a fight this s read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 86 event in Croatia, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some of tho read news >>

Twitter reacts to Lyoto Machida's banned substances-related removal from UFC on FOX 19

The UFC on FOX 19 main card lineup continued to be ravaged today when UFC announced Lyoto Machida was out of Saturday’s co-main event showdown with Dan Henderson. Check out some of the strongest reac read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Sympathy for 'The Dragon'?

In this week's Twitter Mailbag, Lyoto Machida is out of his fight with Dan Henderson due to a USADA violation, but is this one really as bad as it sounds? Plus, what does the death of a Portuguese fi read news >>