Chad Griggs has been overlooked before, but Travis Browne won’t make that mistake when they meet April 21 at UFC 145.

“He has tons of heart,” Browne told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “He comes to fight every time, and you can’t take that away from him. He’s definitely that [opponent] you cannot overlook.”

Undefeated in 13 professional fights, Browne is seen as a quality prospect on his way up the UFC’s heavyweight ranks. Griggs is a hardnosed opponent, though, who’s already derailed one touted heavyweight’s fast track to the top. In August 2010, he handed Bobby Lashley the first loss of his career, forcing him to quit after the second round.

“I’ve been in his position, where I basically have nothing to lose and I have to try to do everything I can do to win,” Browne said. “I’ve been there, so I know what he’s going through. I’m going to have to fight with the same intensity and the same drive and the same intent to finish that fight.”

Griggs has lost just once, a submission defeat via kimura to Shane Ott in April 2007. Like Browne’s, his fights typically do not go the distance.

“Chad comes in and he tries to hit you and tries to hit you with everything he’s got,” Browne said. “It makes for a good style matchup for both of us. Sometimes I can get a little wide. Sometimes he can get a little wide. We’ll see who connects first and puts the other guy to sleep.”

Browne sees the matchup as a kind of eliminator between two entertaining heavyweights.

“It was one of those things where obviously [the UFC feels] like we’re at the same level,” he said. “He’s coming off three straight wins. I’m coming off two wins. I think they want to put two guys that have the potential to knock out somebody out -- they want to put them together and just kind of weed them out, see who’s moving forward and who needs to work on their game a little bit. That’s why they’re pitting both of us together.”

Of course, Browne is the favorite entering the fight, but he also knows Griggs has the potential to beat him.

“Right now he’s training to take away something from me that nobody else has been able to do yet,” Browne said. “At this point I look at him as the main threat. I take him just as seriously as I’ve taken anybody else that I’ve fought.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:34:26).

UFC 200 Primer: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Head-to-Toe Breakdown

When the loaded UFC 200 pay-per-view gets underway it will be two of the best heavyweights in the world kicking off the show. No. 3-ranked* Cain Velasquez (13-2), according Bleacher Report's June MMA read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Head-to-Toe Breakdown

When the loaded UFC 200 pay-per-view gets underway, it will be two of the best heavyweights in the world kicking off the show. No. 3-ranked Cain Velasquez (13-2), according to Bleacher Report's June  read news >>

Cain Velasquez in a Do-or-Die Fight at UFC 200 Opposite Travis Browne

Cain Velasquez seemed completely unstoppable not all that long ago. His wrestling was too good. His hands were too heavy. His gas tank was too deep. He could outwrestle strikers, outstrike wrestlers read news >>

Cain Velasquez in a Do-or-Die Fight at UFC 200 Opposite Travis Browne

UFC 200 Results: Cain Velasquez is Back; Takes Out Travis Browne in First Round

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez wasted little time re-establishing his position in the division, taking out Travis Browne at UFC 200. read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Results: Winner, Knockout Reaction from UFC 200

After more than a year away from the Octagon, Cain Velasquez is back in the heavyweight conversation with a first-round TKO win over Travis Browne on the main card at UFC 200 on Saturday. Bleacher Re read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Cain Velasquez Rolls Over Travis Browne

Former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez returned to the Octagon on Saturday on the UFC 200 main card against contender Travis Browne. read news >>

Cain Velasquez: ‘I Want the Winner of Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem (Video)

Following his first-round finish of Travis Browne at UFC 200, former heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez wants to fight the winner of champion Stipe Moicic and Alistair Overeem. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Won’t Be Punished by WWE for UFC-Related Failed Drug Tests

• 3 hours ago

Brock Lesnar the UFC fighter faces some stiff penalties for testing positive for a banned substance. Brock Lesnar the WWE Superstar? Not so much. read news >>