Trainer: ‘Jacare’ Souza to Join UFC, Regardless of Final Strikeforce Result


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Last week, it was reported that Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza had signed a five-fight contract with Forza LLC, a subsidiary of UFC parent company Zuffa. Though Strikeforce will hold its final event on Saturday, Souza’s coach, Josuel Distak, assured Sherdog.com that “Jacare” will join the UFC roster this spring, regardless of what happens in the middleweight’s Strikeforce swan song.

However, according to Distak, UFC brass will decide Souza’s first Octagon opponent based on his performance against UFC talent Ed Herman.

"’Jacare’ is now a UFC fighter and signed a five-fight contract,” said the X-Gym coach. “The result of the fight against Herman will be the basis for choice of his debut opponent in the UFC, which I think will be in April.”

Distak also asserted that the former Strikeforce middleweight king has nearly completed his weight cut and is fully prepared for his conflict live on Showtime from the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

"’Jacare’ is almost ready, lacking only about three kilos (about 6.6 pounds) to lose, and that's easy,” said Distak. “‘Jacare’ is an MMA fighter, and he's 100 percent [everywhere], so wherever the fight goes is good for him. Herman likes to submit, but ‘Jacare’ is better than him at everything."

As Souza will fight in the UFC’s middleweight division, a potential clash against champion and training partner Anderson Silva already is already looming on the horizon. However, Distak prefers to postpone this pairing if at all possible, asserting that Souza still has work to do before such a matchup would be warranted.

"’Jacare’ has a career to tread in the UFC yet; do not think about it for a while,” said Distak. “‘Jacare’ is going there to make his [own] history.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 22 days ago
  • 40 views

The fight between former Strikeforce champions Ronaldo Souza and Gegard Mousasi that originally was set for the co-main event of UFC 176 now will take place at UFC Fight Night 50. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 47 views

The UFC 176 co-main event bout between Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Gegard Mousasi, like several other bouts on the cancelled fight card, has already found a new home, as of Wednesday morning. read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 31 views

Zach Makovsky vs. Jussier Formiga and "Jacare" Souza vs. Gegard Mousasi 2 are among several fights that have since been moved from UFC 176 to other cards. The loss of UFC 176 has proven to be the gain for other upcoming cards. About half of the original lineup has already been redistributed across several August and September cards, most notably the rematch between Ronaldo Souza and Gegard Mousasi, which will either headline or co-headline the UFC Fight Night in Connecticut. This is the current read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 20 views

Nick Diaz has signed a contract to return to the UFC. The former Strikeforce welterweight champion sign the deal Thursday at UFC headquarters and is eyeing a 2015 return. read news >>

  • 5 hours ago
  • 0 views

And should the Brazilian secure his seventh straight win, fourth inside the Octagon, it would be pretty hard to deny him his wish. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight division is far from being short on top contenders eager to get their shot at dethroning reigning division champion Chris Weidman. Just look at the top 10, and maybe even one or two of the guys on the outside looking in. One of the leaders of the pack is Ronaldo Souza, a contender who plans on asking for a title s read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 27 views

Fight week always feels the same for UFC heavyweight Stefan Struve. But in another sense, there’s nothing usual about his next mixed martial arts bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 65 views

Chris Dempsey has signed with the UFC and will fill in for Tom Lawlor at UFC Fight Night 46 against Ilir Latifi. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 46 views

Rory MacDonald responds to fellow top ranked UFC welterweight Tarec Saffiedine, who recently called him out. Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Tarec Saffiedine is looking for another fight after successfully making his UFC debut earlier this year. He defeated Hyun Gyu Lim in an entertaining fight of the night performance, and as he looks for a top contender on his next bout, he recently called out Rory MacDonald. Related: UFC: Singapore: Saffiedine vs. Lim Photo Gallery "Rory looked prett read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 62 views

The UFC has signed two more women’s strawweight prospects, and they’ll meet later this month in California. Joanna Jedrzejczyk will meet Juliana Carneiro Lima in San Jose.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>