If Martin Kampmann gets by Johny Hendricks at UFC 154 on Nov. 17, he believes he’ll deserve a shot at the UFC welterweight title. Certainly he’ll have a good case for getting the opportunity.

“If I win this fight, I am the No. 1 contender,” Kampmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “No doubt. Nobody’s got the same resume I do in the UFC in the welterweight division. I’ve beaten the best guys. There’s no other welterweight that’s coming on the same streak that I have.”

Kampmann has won three straight since dropping controversial decisions to Jake Shields and Diego Sanchez. This year he has finished both Thiago Alves and Jake Ellenberger.

“There’s other guys coming up with a bunch of hype behind them, but really who have they fought? They haven’t fought anybody tough,” Kampmann said. “They haven’t fought anybody good, but they’re getting the hype train behind them. Look at the guys I’ve fought and compare that to anybody in the welterweight division. I’ve fought some of the best guys in the division.”

Hendricks has too. He’s won four straight, including a knockout of Jon Fitch and a split decision over Josh Koscheck. Kampmann is more than familiar with him -- they used to train together.

“He used to help me out with my wrestling, so I know him pretty well,” Kampmann said. “I was helping him out with his standup. We trained together, and I feel I’m the better striker. I’m definitely much slicker than he is, but he’s improved a lot, just like my wrestling has improved a lot. I’ve been taking guys down that have better wrestling credentials than me.”

In Kampmann’s view, Hendricks has the best wrestling resume in the UFC. He was a two-time NCAA champion at Oklahoma St. University, but he also packs power in his hands.

“I feel definitely I would have the advantage in the standup, but he’s still got heavy hands that I’ve got to respect and watch out for,” Kampmann said. “I’m going to stay out of danger. I usually do, but I usually do get punched a little bit. It’s a fight -- I’m going to get punched, but I can eat a shot and I can dish it back out.”

Of course, even if Kampmann beats Hendricks, there’s always a chance he might not get an immediate title shot. Georges St. Pierre could beat Carlos Condit at UFC 154 and put the division on hold to fight Anderson Silva, or Condit could beat St. Pierre and set up a rematch. Regardless, Kampmann has a plan to get himself a crack at the belt.

“I want to put it in my own hands,” he said, “and the way I’m going to put it in my own hands is by knocking out Johny Hendricks.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:00).

Joe Taimanglo Plans to Secure His Place as 135-Pound Contender at Bellator 159

Joe Taimanglo looks for his fourth straight win when he takes on undefeated prospect Darrion Caldwell in a 135-pound main event at Bellator 159 on July 22. read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC 200 is an extraordinarily deep fight card featuring two upper-echelon welterweights as a preliminary contest. Johny Hendricks (17-4), ranked No. 6 according to Bleacher Report, takes on Kelvin Ga read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Jon Jones Plans to Fight ‘A Hell of A Lot More Often’

A more mature Jon Jones has emerged from a troubled past and wants to be more of a company man. He also plans to fight "a hell of a lot more often." read news >>

Injury to Linton Vassell Causes Bellator 158 Main Card Shift

An injury to Linton Vassell has derailed his summer plans of competing in front of his fellow Englishmen against Francis Carmont at Bellator 158: London. read news >>

UFC 200 Weigh-in Results: Miesha Tate Averts Missing Cut-Off; Johny Hendricks Misses Weight

Though she pushed the time limit to the wire, bantamweight champ Miesha Tate made weight for UFC 200. Johny Hendricks did not. read news >>

Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Johny Hendricks and Kelvin Gastelum were both staring down the worst possible question that can be raised about an athlete: "How good could they have been?" Hendricks became an overnight sensation wh read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Kelvin Gastelum Takes the Win Over Fading Johny Hendricks

Watch highlights as Kelvin Gastelum takes the win over a fading Johny Hendricks at UFC 200 in Las Vegas. read news >>

Mark Hunt Puts UFC on Blast, Plans on Forming a Fighter Association

After Brock Lesnar was flagged for a second potential anti-doping violation, his UFC 200 opponent, Mark Hunt, is planning the formation of a fighter union. read news >>

Dan Henderson Plans to Retire After Michael Bisping Fight

• 9 hours ago

Win or lose, when Dan Henderson fights Michael Bisping for the UFC middleweight championship, it will likely be the last time that we see him in the Octagon. read news >>