Tito Ortiz at the UFC 148 press conferenceUFC Hall of Famer and former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz is a fan of current light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones, but took offense to recent comments Jones made about him in an interview.

Ortiz gave his side of the story to MMAWeekly.com concerning Jones’ recent statements about him and Jones’ role in the cancellation of UFC 151.

“The situation happened with UFC 151.  He was supposed to fight Dan Henderson.  He gets hurt a week before the fight. (The UFC) said you’re going to fight Chael (Sonnen).  He said, no way, and he got a bunch of flack for it.  All the fighters said he wasn’t a true fighter and no one has ever done this before.  It’s crazy.  I thought it was crazy and I stood up for the kid,” said Ortiz.

“I like Jon Jones.  I think he’s a great champion.  I think he’s a great guy.  I’ve hung out with him in Vegas, and I really took a liking to the kid. All of a sudden, I heard an interview from him saying people need to stop comparing me to Tito Ortiz because I don’t talk about money.  That was like a stab in my back.  I was like, I stood up for you.  When no one else did, I stood up for you and you turn around and say something like that,” Ortiz stated.

While Ortiz was originally supportive of Jones’ decision to decline a short-notice fight with Sonnen, his opinion has changed slightly.

“Dana said it best himself.  He’s never had this happen from a fighter before where he pulled out of a fight.  I never did in my career.  I fought guys no matter what.  It was about what I was worth, not talking about money because I didn’t have a manager.  I was the guy taking the flack for it,” said the former champion.

The angered Ortiz believes instead of criticizing him, Jones should be praising him for laying the foundation for fighters to apply leverage at the negotiating table with the UFC brass.

“You’ve got to understand.  When you’re traveling around in your Bentley – I don’t know if he still has it anymore since he wrecked it into a tree – but when you’re traveling around in your Bentley, you’ve got to understand.  I’m a person who put their life on the line and my career and my image and my name on the line to battle for you to have the type of contract you have and the money you’re making,” said the UFC Hall of Famer.  “If it weren’t for the things I’ve battle for, and took the bad image for it, you’d be traveling around in a Toyota right now.

“I took a lot of flack for negotiating and battling for what I believed in,” continued Ortiz. “It wasn’t a factor of talking about money.  It was a factor of what I thought I was worth. I was trying to raise the bar for all fighters, and I think I’ve done that.  For him to say the things he’s saying, don’t disrespect me like that.”

At the end of the day, Ortiz is still a fan of Jon Jones, but didn’t take kindly to the comments Jones has made.

“I was just disappointed, very, very disappointed with Jon. Maybe the stardom is getting to his head.  Like I said, I took a liking to Jon Jones, but I was just really disappointed with that interview.   That’s all I’ve got to say about that.”

For more, listen to MMAWeekly.com’s exclusive extended audio interview with Tito Ortiz.

Morning Report: Bas Rutten wouldn't count Fedor Emelianenko out against Jon Jones at 205 pounds

UFC Hall of Famer Bas Rutten loves him some Fedor Emelianenko. The former PRIDE commentator sounds intrigued over the rumblings that Emelianenko may be making a return to fighting, but wants to see h read news >>

Ringside roundup: Wilder on NBC, Mayweather on CBS?

Ringside Roundup returns with news and notes from the boxing world, condensed for the MMA fan. This week we talk about Al Haymon, Deontay Wilder, Floyd Mayweather, and a whole lot more. Ringside roun read news >>

'Cyborg' Justino: I never let it go to my head when people say I'm the best

Not every MMA fan thinks UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is the best female fighter in the world. Some think that title sits 10 pounds north of Rousey’s division, where Cristiane “Cybo read news >>

Fan Perspective: Is the Conor McGregor hype bubble about to burst?

This Saturday’s UFC 189 event provides Conor McGregor the opportunity to quiet a lot of doubters when he takes on Chad Mendes for the interim UFC featherweight championship.Filed under: Featured Vide read news >>

The MMA Hour - 289 - Fan questions

Ariel Helwani and Eric Jackman answer fan questions and tweets. read news >>

Jon Jones back to training, had to clean the mats on the first day

Jon Jones' teammate Igor Araujo says the former UFC champion is training every day again. Two months ago, the UFC has stripped their light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones of his title. Since then, arg read news >>

Training partner: Jon Jones back to training and acting 'positive'

The biggest fight of Jon Jones' life may still be ahead, but there are glimpses and signs that the former UFC Light Heavyweight champion is taking it in stride. Two weeks ago a photograph appeared on read news >>

Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz was one of the UFC's first true classic fights

If you talk about the pre-Zuffa era of the UFC, and ask about the best fight, the one that will get the most mention is likely to be the 1999 Match of the Year winner with Frank Shamrock facing Tito read news >>

Paulo Filho admits use of cocaine during WEC career, says Jon Jones will use it again

Former PRIDE star and WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho once was one of the best fighters in the world, but never really achieved what his teammates expected him to. For years, training partners read news >>

Teammate: Jon Jones ‘being positive’, back to training in Albuquerque

Jon Jones’ hit-and-run case might be taken to a grand jury, but the former UFC light heavyweight champion is "being positive" about the entire situation. The UFC star, who got stripped of the title a read news >>