Tito Ortiz to Jon Jones: Don’t Disrespect Me

• submit to reddit

Tito Ortiz at the UFC 148 press conferenceUFC Hall of Famer and former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz is a fan of current light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones, but took offense to recent comments Jones made about him in an interview.

Ortiz gave his side of the story to MMAWeekly.com concerning Jones’ recent statements about him and Jones’ role in the cancellation of UFC 151.

“The situation happened with UFC 151.  He was supposed to fight Dan Henderson.  He gets hurt a week before the fight. (The UFC) said you’re going to fight Chael (Sonnen).  He said, no way, and he got a bunch of flack for it.  All the fighters said he wasn’t a true fighter and no one has ever done this before.  It’s crazy.  I thought it was crazy and I stood up for the kid,” said Ortiz.

“I like Jon Jones.  I think he’s a great champion.  I think he’s a great guy.  I’ve hung out with him in Vegas, and I really took a liking to the kid. All of a sudden, I heard an interview from him saying people need to stop comparing me to Tito Ortiz because I don’t talk about money.  That was like a stab in my back.  I was like, I stood up for you.  When no one else did, I stood up for you and you turn around and say something like that,” Ortiz stated.

While Ortiz was originally supportive of Jones’ decision to decline a short-notice fight with Sonnen, his opinion has changed slightly.

“Dana said it best himself.  He’s never had this happen from a fighter before where he pulled out of a fight.  I never did in my career.  I fought guys no matter what.  It was about what I was worth, not talking about money because I didn’t have a manager.  I was the guy taking the flack for it,” said the former champion.

The angered Ortiz believes instead of criticizing him, Jones should be praising him for laying the foundation for fighters to apply leverage at the negotiating table with the UFC brass.

“You’ve got to understand.  When you’re traveling around in your Bentley – I don’t know if he still has it anymore since he wrecked it into a tree – but when you’re traveling around in your Bentley, you’ve got to understand.  I’m a person who put their life on the line and my career and my image and my name on the line to battle for you to have the type of contract you have and the money you’re making,” said the UFC Hall of Famer.  “If it weren’t for the things I’ve battle for, and took the bad image for it, you’d be traveling around in a Toyota right now.

“I took a lot of flack for negotiating and battling for what I believed in,” continued Ortiz. “It wasn’t a factor of talking about money.  It was a factor of what I thought I was worth. I was trying to raise the bar for all fighters, and I think I’ve done that.  For him to say the things he’s saying, don’t disrespect me like that.”

At the end of the day, Ortiz is still a fan of Jon Jones, but didn’t take kindly to the comments Jones has made.

“I was just disappointed, very, very disappointed with Jon. Maybe the stardom is getting to his head.  Like I said, I took a liking to Jon Jones, but I was just really disappointed with that interview.   That’s all I’ve got to say about that.”

For more, listen to MMAWeekly.com’s exclusive extended audio interview with Tito Ortiz.

The highly-anticipated light heavyweight championship rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson finally has a location. read news >>

In a case of life imitating a Mania thread, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones sent his new challenger, Daniel Cormier, a direct message on Twitter. As the saying goes, we live in interesting times. Times when mixed martial arts (MMA) champions send small bursts of texts straight to their replacement opponents. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones went with the new times, while replacement challenger Daniel Cormier -- who tonight was anointed the next N read news >>

With friends like these... I know what some of you are thinking: Who cares what a WWE wrestler and Hollywood actor thinks? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), apparently, as the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion recently put "Hercules" on the cover of its latest magazine, along with an excerpt about his relationship with several prominent fighters (and one surprise prediction). From UFC.com: "I always have my eyes on the champions, specifically the heavyweight and light heavyw read news >>

• 8 hours ago

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has suffered a cut above his left eye with about two months left before his UFC 178 title defense against Daniel Cormier.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The rematch will have to wait, but UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones still has a big fight on the horizon.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

New Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight No. 1 contender Daniel Cormier (because of this) talks about his last sparring session with longtime training partner and UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez (1:20 mark), which threw him for a loop because Velasquez was trying to emulate Jon Jones -- complete with side kick to the knee. "DC" told him to pump the brakes on that (for now) because they're still nine weeks out from UFC 178, where Cormier will attempt to break "Bones" for read news >>

See you in "Sin City." Canada? Pfffft. Sweden? As if. The Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson light heavyweight championship rematch, recently booked for the upcoming UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) event on Sept. 27, 2014, now has a place to call home, according to promotion president Dana White. Well, sorta. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on Friday (July 4) announced the event would be held in Las Vegas, Nevada, but has yet to reveal an official venue, though both MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay ar read news >>

Sorry Torontonians, Las Vegas is the place to be for one of the biggest fights of the year. The first epic clash between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson took place in Toronto, Ontario, and the rematch was supposed to be in the same city. Those plans have been nixed, and on a special edition of UFC Tonight, Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed that UFC 178 will be in Las Vegas on 9/27. Believe it or not, it's the first time that Jones has fought in Vegas as a champion, although they tried to accomplish read news >>