Tito Ortiz at the UFC 148 press conferenceUFC Hall of Famer and former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz is a fan of current light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones, but took offense to recent comments Jones made about him in an interview.

Ortiz gave his side of the story to MMAWeekly.com concerning Jones’ recent statements about him and Jones’ role in the cancellation of UFC 151.

“The situation happened with UFC 151.  He was supposed to fight Dan Henderson.  He gets hurt a week before the fight. (The UFC) said you’re going to fight Chael (Sonnen).  He said, no way, and he got a bunch of flack for it.  All the fighters said he wasn’t a true fighter and no one has ever done this before.  It’s crazy.  I thought it was crazy and I stood up for the kid,” said Ortiz.

“I like Jon Jones.  I think he’s a great champion.  I think he’s a great guy.  I’ve hung out with him in Vegas, and I really took a liking to the kid. All of a sudden, I heard an interview from him saying people need to stop comparing me to Tito Ortiz because I don’t talk about money.  That was like a stab in my back.  I was like, I stood up for you.  When no one else did, I stood up for you and you turn around and say something like that,” Ortiz stated.

While Ortiz was originally supportive of Jones’ decision to decline a short-notice fight with Sonnen, his opinion has changed slightly.

“Dana said it best himself.  He’s never had this happen from a fighter before where he pulled out of a fight.  I never did in my career.  I fought guys no matter what.  It was about what I was worth, not talking about money because I didn’t have a manager.  I was the guy taking the flack for it,” said the former champion.

The angered Ortiz believes instead of criticizing him, Jones should be praising him for laying the foundation for fighters to apply leverage at the negotiating table with the UFC brass.

“You’ve got to understand.  When you’re traveling around in your Bentley – I don’t know if he still has it anymore since he wrecked it into a tree – but when you’re traveling around in your Bentley, you’ve got to understand.  I’m a person who put their life on the line and my career and my image and my name on the line to battle for you to have the type of contract you have and the money you’re making,” said the UFC Hall of Famer.  “If it weren’t for the things I’ve battle for, and took the bad image for it, you’d be traveling around in a Toyota right now.

“I took a lot of flack for negotiating and battling for what I believed in,” continued Ortiz. “It wasn’t a factor of talking about money.  It was a factor of what I thought I was worth. I was trying to raise the bar for all fighters, and I think I’ve done that.  For him to say the things he’s saying, don’t disrespect me like that.”

At the end of the day, Ortiz is still a fan of Jon Jones, but didn’t take kindly to the comments Jones has made.

“I was just disappointed, very, very disappointed with Jon. Maybe the stardom is getting to his head.  Like I said, I took a liking to Jon Jones, but I was just really disappointed with that interview.   That’s all I’ve got to say about that.”

For more, listen to MMAWeekly.com’s exclusive extended audio interview with Tito Ortiz.

Tito Ortiz cited for misdemeanor battery after allegedly grabbing woman’s phone at club

• an hour ago

UFC Hall of Famer and Bellator light heavyweight Tito Ortiz was cited for misdemeanor battery early this morning after an alleged struggle with a woman in a Las Vegas nightclub.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Jon Anik picking Cruz over champ Dillashaw due to McGregor-like confidence

Jon Anik remembers the time he sat between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans prior to their fight at UFC 145. “They went 90 minutes straight, and after one minute (and 15 seconds), I didn’t say a word,” he read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

Eddie Alvarez Was Shocked by Split Decision in Anthony Pettis Fight

Former Bellator MMA lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez defeated former UFC 155-pound UFC titleholder Anthony Pettis over the weekend in the UFC Fight Night 81 co-main event. read news >>

The New Kaiju King: Jon Jones Would Destroy Godzilla Inside of 2 Rounds

Jon Jones' latest Instagram posts are the equivalent of sirens blaring to warn of Godzilla coming ashore. They are an omen of impending destruction. And absolutely no one is safe. He is coming back t read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Hall of Famer Pat Miletich Teases Comeback Against Royce Gracie vs. Ken Shamrock Winner

A pioneer of MMA and a UFC Hall of Famer, AXS TV broadcaster Pat Miletich on Friday night teased that he would be willing to come out of retirement. read news >>

Cain Velasquez Issues Statement, Apologizes to Fabricio Werdum for Having to Withdraw from UFC 196

Former heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez released a statement on Sunday via Facebook explaining why he was forced to withdraw from UFC 196. read news >>

Ex-champ Jon Jones would fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196 – if heavyweight belt is on line

Here’s an intriguing – though likely farfetched – possibility for next week’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones Willing to Fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196, Wants Heavyweight Title

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones has revealed he would be willing to fight heavyweight contender Stipe Miocic at UFC 196?but only if the heavyweight title is on the line. The u read news >>

Hot Tweet: Jon Jones Willing to Fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones on Monday said that he would fight Stipe Miocic in the UFC 196 main event on Feb. 6... with one condition. read news >>