Tito Ortiz at the UFC 148 press conferenceUFC Hall of Famer and former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz is a fan of current light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones, but took offense to recent comments Jones made about him in an interview.

Ortiz gave his side of the story to MMAWeekly.com concerning Jones’ recent statements about him and Jones’ role in the cancellation of UFC 151.

“The situation happened with UFC 151.  He was supposed to fight Dan Henderson.  He gets hurt a week before the fight. (The UFC) said you’re going to fight Chael (Sonnen).  He said, no way, and he got a bunch of flack for it.  All the fighters said he wasn’t a true fighter and no one has ever done this before.  It’s crazy.  I thought it was crazy and I stood up for the kid,” said Ortiz.

“I like Jon Jones.  I think he’s a great champion.  I think he’s a great guy.  I’ve hung out with him in Vegas, and I really took a liking to the kid. All of a sudden, I heard an interview from him saying people need to stop comparing me to Tito Ortiz because I don’t talk about money.  That was like a stab in my back.  I was like, I stood up for you.  When no one else did, I stood up for you and you turn around and say something like that,” Ortiz stated.

While Ortiz was originally supportive of Jones’ decision to decline a short-notice fight with Sonnen, his opinion has changed slightly.

“Dana said it best himself.  He’s never had this happen from a fighter before where he pulled out of a fight.  I never did in my career.  I fought guys no matter what.  It was about what I was worth, not talking about money because I didn’t have a manager.  I was the guy taking the flack for it,” said the former champion.

The angered Ortiz believes instead of criticizing him, Jones should be praising him for laying the foundation for fighters to apply leverage at the negotiating table with the UFC brass.

“You’ve got to understand.  When you’re traveling around in your Bentley – I don’t know if he still has it anymore since he wrecked it into a tree – but when you’re traveling around in your Bentley, you’ve got to understand.  I’m a person who put their life on the line and my career and my image and my name on the line to battle for you to have the type of contract you have and the money you’re making,” said the UFC Hall of Famer.  “If it weren’t for the things I’ve battle for, and took the bad image for it, you’d be traveling around in a Toyota right now.

“I took a lot of flack for negotiating and battling for what I believed in,” continued Ortiz. “It wasn’t a factor of talking about money.  It was a factor of what I thought I was worth. I was trying to raise the bar for all fighters, and I think I’ve done that.  For him to say the things he’s saying, don’t disrespect me like that.”

At the end of the day, Ortiz is still a fan of Jon Jones, but didn’t take kindly to the comments Jones has made.

“I was just disappointed, very, very disappointed with Jon. Maybe the stardom is getting to his head.  Like I said, I took a liking to Jon Jones, but I was just really disappointed with that interview.   That’s all I’ve got to say about that.”

For more, listen to MMAWeekly.com’s exclusive extended audio interview with Tito Ortiz.

Tito Ortiz: UFC has offered Cris Cyborg a Ronda Rousey fight in Dallas stadium

The UFC Hall of Famer went on Inside MMA last night and claimed that his friend Cris Cyborg has been offered a bout with Ronda Rousey at the rumored UFC event this fall in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, read news >>

Jon Jones training video surfaces

Embattled former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones stepped out of the shadows earlier this week and can be seen grappling in a video uploaded to the YouTube read news >>

Dana White calls Tito Ortiz's claims on Ronda Rousey vs. Cyborg Justino 'a total lie'

The news making the rounds Saturday claiming that Dana White offered Cyborg Justino a fight against UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey was a surprise to many. Among those most surprised, read news >>

UFC Has Offered Cris "Cyborg" Justino Fight with Ronda Rousey, Says Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz appeared last night on AXS TV's Inside MMA, but the talk didn't stay entirely focused on his upcoming fight with Bellator light heavyweight champion Liam McGeary. According to Ortiz, the U read news >>

Oritz claims Cyborg offered fight with Rousey at Cowboys Stadium

Tito Ortiz, the wrestling coach and former manager for Cris "Cyborg" Justino, said that the UFC has offered Justino a title fight with Ronda Rousey on the Dallas Cowboy's home field and said he encou read news >>

Tito Ortiz Claims UFC Offerend Cris Cyborg Fight vs. Ronda Rousey in Dallas Stadium

In talking about his upcoming fight and Fedor with Inside MMA, Tito Ortiz dropped a bomb, saying the UFC has offered Cris Cyborg the fight with Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Cris Cyborg offered Ronda Rousey fight by UFC in Dallas stadium

Balls in your court, Ronda. Supposedly anyway ... Tito Ortiz, former manager of Invicta FC women's Featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino, believes his former client may indeed face-off wi read news >>

Back on job, cutman 'Stitch' Duran 'felt like a superstar' by WSOF fan reception

On most fight nights, Jacob “Stitch” Duran largely flies under the radar while working MMA and boxing events. This past weekend at WSOF 22, though, he said he felt like a “superstar.”Filed under: Fea read news >>

The MMA Hour - 293 - Fan questions

Ariel Helwani and Marc Raimondi answer questions from the fans. read news >>

Coach: Fedor Emelianenko an 'easy fight' for Jon Jones

"I have not even spoken to Jon about it, but looking at how, you know, Fedor's fights towards the end of his career [went], I think unless he changed something, I think it's an easy fight for Jon." I read news >>