Tito Ortiz at the UFC 148 press conferenceUFC Hall of Famer and former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz is a fan of current light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones, but took offense to recent comments Jones made about him in an interview.

Ortiz gave his side of the story to MMAWeekly.com concerning Jones’ recent statements about him and Jones’ role in the cancellation of UFC 151.

“The situation happened with UFC 151.  He was supposed to fight Dan Henderson.  He gets hurt a week before the fight. (The UFC) said you’re going to fight Chael (Sonnen).  He said, no way, and he got a bunch of flack for it.  All the fighters said he wasn’t a true fighter and no one has ever done this before.  It’s crazy.  I thought it was crazy and I stood up for the kid,” said Ortiz.

“I like Jon Jones.  I think he’s a great champion.  I think he’s a great guy.  I’ve hung out with him in Vegas, and I really took a liking to the kid. All of a sudden, I heard an interview from him saying people need to stop comparing me to Tito Ortiz because I don’t talk about money.  That was like a stab in my back.  I was like, I stood up for you.  When no one else did, I stood up for you and you turn around and say something like that,” Ortiz stated.

While Ortiz was originally supportive of Jones’ decision to decline a short-notice fight with Sonnen, his opinion has changed slightly.

“Dana said it best himself.  He’s never had this happen from a fighter before where he pulled out of a fight.  I never did in my career.  I fought guys no matter what.  It was about what I was worth, not talking about money because I didn’t have a manager.  I was the guy taking the flack for it,” said the former champion.

The angered Ortiz believes instead of criticizing him, Jones should be praising him for laying the foundation for fighters to apply leverage at the negotiating table with the UFC brass.

“You’ve got to understand.  When you’re traveling around in your Bentley – I don’t know if he still has it anymore since he wrecked it into a tree – but when you’re traveling around in your Bentley, you’ve got to understand.  I’m a person who put their life on the line and my career and my image and my name on the line to battle for you to have the type of contract you have and the money you’re making,” said the UFC Hall of Famer.  “If it weren’t for the things I’ve battle for, and took the bad image for it, you’d be traveling around in a Toyota right now.

“I took a lot of flack for negotiating and battling for what I believed in,” continued Ortiz. “It wasn’t a factor of talking about money.  It was a factor of what I thought I was worth. I was trying to raise the bar for all fighters, and I think I’ve done that.  For him to say the things he’s saying, don’t disrespect me like that.”

At the end of the day, Ortiz is still a fan of Jon Jones, but didn’t take kindly to the comments Jones has made.

“I was just disappointed, very, very disappointed with Jon. Maybe the stardom is getting to his head.  Like I said, I took a liking to Jon Jones, but I was just really disappointed with that interview.   That’s all I’ve got to say about that.”

For more, listen to MMAWeekly.com’s exclusive extended audio interview with Tito Ortiz.

Ex-UFC champ Jon Jones still planning jump to heavyweight, awaits 'perfect opponent'

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has flip-flopped on the possibility of moving up to the heavyweight division over the years. Currently, however, he said it’s eventually going to happe read news >>

Amanda Nunes Destroys Ronda Rousey (UFC 207 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes walked through former titleholder Ronda Rousey at UFC 207 on Friday, finishing "Rowdy" in just 48 seconds. read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' fight again

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey isn’t ready to call it a career just yet, but she admits she needs a little time to figure out her next move.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson Agree: Ronda Rousey Should Return to the UFC

Much like when Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in 2015, there was a fair bit of schadenfreude on display following her UFC 207 defeat at the hands of Amanda Nunes. People ranging from anon read news >>

Watch BJ Penn Tap Out Kenny Florian (UFC Phoenix Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn and Kenny Florian meet in the main event of UFC 101. BJ Penn returns against Yair Rodriguez at UFC Fight Night Phoenix. read news >>

A rare street-fight story from UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture

Although he enjoyed a decorated career in MMA, former UFC champion and UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture wasn’t much of a fighter growing up.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103: Head-to-Toe Breakdown for Yair Rodriguez vs. B.J Penn

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn (16-10-2) returns to take on the rising star that is Yair Rodriguez (10-1). Penn is a former lightweight and welterweight champion, but his showing at 145 pounds was lackl read news >>

Cody Garbrandt: 'TJ Dillashaw Was Never Really a World Champion' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt says former teammate and former titleholder TJ Dillashaw was never a world champion. read news >>

BJ Penn Was Embarrassed by Past Performances (UFC Phoenix video) | MMAWeekly.com

It's been a long time since UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has been in the Octagon, but it's been even longer since he scored a victory in the Octagon. read news >>

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn wants 'to show everybody who the real hero is in the UFC'

PHOENIX – UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn is widely regarded as one of the best fighters in MMA history, but it was also assumed his best days might be behind.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>