Tito Ortiz and Dana White at UFC Hall of Fame inductionIn just five short years, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has rocketed into the conversation about the greatest fighters of all time.

He readily admits that it’s still too soon for him to challenge Anderson Silva for top honors as the top pound-for-pound fighter on the planet, but Jones fully intends to keep working in that direction.

The next step is laying sole claim to the UFC record for most light heavyweight title defenses, which he currently shares with UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz.

Jones’ recent destruction of Chael Sonnen at UFC 159 put him on par with Ortiz’s mark of five successful light heavyweight title defenses. Now, before he considers moving into superfights or the heavyweight division, he wants to break that record.

“One thing I’ve been contemplating is first tying Tito Ortiz, and then establishing that record of the most (light heavyweight title defense) wins in my next fight, maybe in November, and after that fight in November, entertaining superfights and heavyweight fights,” said Jones.

Ortiz has always carried his achievements proudly, but if anyone is going to surpass him in the record books, he’s okay with it being Jon Jones.

“I don’t want to see him break my record,” Ortiz told MMAWeekly.com content partner Knockout Radio on Wednesday night. “But if anyone is going to beat my record, I would like to see Jon Jones do it because he is that special of an athlete.

“He’s got great speed, great balance, great wrestling technique, and his mind is super strong.  It’s just one of those things that, if he does beat my record, I guess I can give him nothing but respect because, if anyone is going to break my record, I would like to see Jon Jones do it.”

Ortiz would even go so far as to make sure he’s in attendance at Jones’ next fight – whenever that should be – to see if his record falls to the wayside.

“Of course I’m going to show up,” he declared. “I’m not going to miss that. I want to watch, in person, the guy who is going to beat my record. I would love to be a part of something great at that event.”

Jones is currently nursing an injured foot, expecting to be sidelined for the next few weeks, so it’s unclear just how soon he’ll be bak in the Octagon, gunning for sole possession of the record. But rest assured, he’ll be gunning for it.

Listen to Knockout Radio every Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. EST on MMAWeekly.com and follow @KnockoutRadio on Twitter.

Jon Jones Takes Plea Deal in Drag Racing Case

Jon Jones, already on probation for a felony hit-and-run case, accepted a plea deal in Albuquerque Metropolitan Court on Thursday. read news >>

Jon Jones Teases Quick Return from USADA Suspension in Instagram Post

Jon Jones has had a rough 12 months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champ feels like things are starting to turn around. That seems to be the case, at least, as Jones indicated he may be back i read news >>

Jon Jones Says He’ll Be Back in the Octagon ‘Really Soon’

UFC interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones sounds as if he's come into some good news regarding his UFC Anti-Doping Policy case. read news >>

Dana White Says it Looks Like Jon Jones Took ‘Something Else,’ Could Be Good News

Dana White on Tuesday appeared to back Jon Jones' recent statement that he could be back really soon. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Video: Stop Talking About Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones, I Have to Fight Glover

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has a big fight in front of him in the form of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 on Aug. 20. If it's all the same with you, he'd really like it if everyone would quit asking him abo read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

Conor McGregor Breaks Brock Lesnar's Record for Biggest Fight Purse at UFC 202

UFC 202 may go on to set a number of records, but it already broke one. According to MMAFighting.com's Marc Raimondi, Conor McGregor will earn the biggest disclosed MMA purse in the sport's history a read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls out Rumble Johnson After UFC 202 Win, Dismisses Jon Jones

Following Anthony Johnson's 13-second knockout of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202, Johnson immediately called for a rematch against champion Daniel Cormier, who was in the audience. Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Dana White Wants to Make Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson for a Shot at Daniel Cormier

Anthony Johnson and Daniel Cormier are both ready to rematch each other, but UFC president Dana White may have other plans, which include Jon Jones. read news >>