Titan Fighting 18: Rudy Bears Plans to Use Rory Markham as Launching Pad to UFC

• submit to reddit
Rudy Bears at Bellator 32

Rudy Bears at Bellator 32

As Rudy “Bad News” Bears prepares to meet Rory Markham at Titan FC 18 on Friday night in Kansas City, Kan., he is keen to not make the same mistakes he made in his last fight for the promotion.

“I just need to go hard right out the gate,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I kind of stalled a little bit on Jason High (in January), and there were a couple of different things I could have done differently.

“I trained real hard for that, but if you’re caught in a choke, there’s only so much you can do. I’ve been working on my submission defense a lot. Rory’s a stand-up fighter mainly – but he has some submissions too – but I’ve just kind of been working on my overall game, so I’m ready for whatever.”

Bears says he not only wants to have a good showing for himself, but also for those who follow him.

“I have my own school here in KC and I like to set a good example overall,” he said. “I like to go out there and show all my students what I expect of them: training hard for a fight, having the proper diet, and giving it your all.”

Bears feels that having a similar style to Markham’s will likely ensure that the fight will not be boring.

“I think it’s going to be an awesome fight,” he exclaimed. “I haven’t seen Rory take many shots trying to take people down, and I’m pretty much the same way.

“I’d like to think we’re a little more technical than (just hitting each other until someone falls down), but yeah, pretty much we’re both going to go in there and see who is the better striker.”

Recently Markham has spent time away from fighting and entered the film industry, which Bears thinks may give him an advantage when it comes to having the conditioning needed to win the fight.

“I plan on pushing the pace all three rounds,” stated Bears. “I don’t want to talk any smack, but hopefully he’s not too much into his acting, he’s been training his cardio, otherwise he’s in trouble.

“A lot of people work just on their striking or grappling, and yeah, it gets good, but it’s only that good until you run out of breath.”

A good showing against Markham could help put Bears on the path towards achieving his dream.

“It’s a lifetime goal of mine to fight in the UFC,” he said. “I’ve been watching it since the first one, so I want to try to get some good wins and get into the UFC.

“Win or lose I just want to go out there and give it my all, and regardless of outcome I want everyone thinking I’m a good fighter.”

Having made adjustments to shore up issues he had in his last fight, Bears is ready to have a much better outing on May 27 and give the fans a show.

“Come to Titan FC 18,” he said in closing. “You’re going to see some fireworks from my fight, for sure. All the other fights are good match-ups too, and I’m looking forward to seeing everybody there.”

The kickboxing champ showed up at UFC Dublin yesterday and told Dana White he wants just one fight in the Octagon.
Tyron Spong was last seen snapping his shin in a Glory kickboxing event but apparently he's well enough to show up backstage at yesterday's UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao and ask UFC president Dana White for a chance to compete in the Octagon.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,' White said at Saturday's post-fight press conference. "I want to more

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon.
While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said.
Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a more

This Wednesday's UFC Fight Night 45 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, is headlined by a lightweight clash between the Garden State's own Jim Miller and Donald Cerrone. This is a matchup with major title implications, therefore making it a pivotal scrap inside the Octagon at 155 pounds. Miller, the most recognizable face from Whippany, New Jersey's AMA Fight Club, enters the bout ranked as the No. 7 lightweight in the world, according to the UFC's official rankings. The 30-year-old was a dark-horse t more

According to UFC President Dana White, “every fighter in the UFC wants to fight in Ireland.” more

A fight between Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero -- two surging middleweights in the UFC -- has been booked for UFC 178, which is set to take place in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Review first reported the bout.
Kennedy has won four fights in a row going back to his Strikeforce days, and is 3-0 in the UFC. He is coming off an impressive one-sided decision victory over Michael Bisping at the TUF Nations Finale in April. Kennedy currently sits at No. 6 on the media driven UFC rankings.
The Cuban wrestler R more

MMA Fighting has the UFC Fight Night 45 fight card for the Cerrone vs. Miller fight card July 16 at the Revel Casino in Atlantic City, N.J.In the main event, Donald Cerrone will square off against Jim Miller in a lightweight contest. Edson Barboza will battle Evan Dunham in the co-main event.Check out the UFC Fight Night 45 fight card below.Main card (FOX Sports 1 at 9 p.m. ET)Donald Cerrone vs. Jim MillerEdson Barboza vs. Evan DunhamRick Story vs. Leonardo MafraJustin Salas vs. Joe ProctorJohn more

MMA Fighting has the UFC Fight Night 46 fight card for the McGregor vs. Brandao event July 19 at The 02 Arena in Dublin, Ireland.In the main event, Conor McGregor squares off against Diego Brandao in a featherweight contest. Gunnar Nelson will meet Zak Cummings in the co-main event.Check out the UFC Fight Night 46 fight card below.Main card (UFC Fight Pass at 3 p.m. ET)Conor McGregor vs. Diego BrandaoGunnar Nelson vs. Zak CummingsBrad Pickett vs. Ian McCallNorman Parke vs. Naoyuki KotaniUndercar more

“The Ultimate Fighter 8? winner Efrain Escudero is once again back in the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC more

UFC President Dana White is excited with the UFC's latest acquisition for the women's bantamweight division but questions her ground game. After months of contractual stalemates, the UFC revealed last week that they had reached an agreement with surging women's bantamweight competitor Holly Holm.
Yet while the touted striker may be an exciting addition to the women's 135.lb division but according to UFC President Dana White, she is yet to prove whether she has the skill set to match the division more