Tim Kennedy says he's fighting Vitor Belfort on upcoming UFC show in Brazil


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

tim-kennedy-20.jpgVitor Belfort was hoping to get a shot at the winner between Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva, but with that possibility in the rearview mirror it looks like he’ll have to get through someone else in the meantime.

Tim Kennedy (16-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC) on Friday said he’ll be fighting Belfort (23-10 MMA, 12-6 UFC) on an upcoming UFC card in Belfort’s home country of Brazil.

Kennedy made the declaration on his official Twitter account. Although the UFC hasn’t made an official announcement of the fight booking, UFC President Dana White told MMAFighting.com the bout was being put together.

Kennedy didn’t say when the bout would take place. The UFC has two announced upcoming cards in Brazil. UFC 163 takes place next week in Rio de Janeiro, and UFC Fight Night 28 takes place Sept. 4 in Belo Horizonte. Both of those cards are full, so it’s likely the fight would head to a show later this fall.

Marshall Zelaznik, the UFC’s director of international development, earlier this week told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he could not confirm a rumored Oct. 9 card in Brazil, but that the promotion indeed is planning additional trips to the South American country before the year is out.

Belfort is coming off back-to-back head-kick knockouts, both of which earned him “Knockout of the Night” bonus awards. At UFC on FX 7 in January, he landed a head kick against Michael Bisping and stopped him with punches moments later in the main event. And at UFC on FX 8 in May, he caught former Strikeforce middleweight champ Luke Rockhold with a spinning heel kick.

Prior to that, the former UFC light heavyweight champ and heavyweight tournament winner lost a light-heavyweight title fight against champion Jon Jones at UFC 152. In 2011, he lost a middleweight title fight to then-champ Silva. He was hoping for another shot at Silva if Silva got past Weidman earlier this month. But that didn’t happen; Silva lost, and White ordered up a rematch set for UFC 168 in December.

Kennedy won his UFC debut earlier this month with a unanimous decision victory over Roger Gracie at UFC 162. But that win left him feeling unhappy about his performance and looking for a measure of redemption his next time out. Now he apparently knows who that will come against.

Prior to his win against Gracie, he submitted Trevor Smith in the third round at Strikeforce’s promotional finale in January. That got him back in the win column after a loss to Rockhold in a Strikeforce 185-pound title fight. Overall, like Belfort, he has won four of his past five fights.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Tim Kennedy)

view original article >>

Related News

  • 3 days ago
  • 35 views

UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy spoke with Submission Radio regarding former light-heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort’s PED usage in MMA. Tim Kennedy continues to fire at Vitor Belfort for his supposed performance enhancing drug (PED) usage over the past few years. The UFC middleweight has been clear about his stance regarding PEDs since they became a public concern in the sport of MMA. He believes that much is changing in the testing procedures now that will favour clean fighters, as the testing h more

  • 28 days ago
  • 88 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

  • 24 days ago
  • 55 views

Because Brazil is the one place Belfort can still get licensed lickety-split. Lyoto Machida has a chance to capture the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight title this Saturday night (July 5, 2014) when he fights Chris Weidman in the UFC 175 pay-per-view (PPV) main event, which goes down inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. But Vitor Belfort can only see the "All American." That means "The Phenom" will be waiting for Weidman at the conclusion of this weekend's mix more

  • 20 days ago
  • 50 views

Chris Weidman sat down with the Media during the build up to 175 and talked about the recent rash of drug test failures in the UFC, and he had some harsh words for Vitor Belfort most particularly. more

  • 18 days ago
  • 8 views

Chris Weidman defended his UFC middleweight title for the second time at UFC 175, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida. It was an excellent fight that pushed Weidman further than he had ever gone before. The champion got the nod on all three judges' scorecards to retain the title. With another contender down, who will be next up for Weidman? At the UFC post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White brought up the name Vitor Belfort. Belfort is currently the No. 2-ranked contend more

  • 18 days ago
  • 17 views

On Saturday night, Chris Weidman stepped in the cage looking to defend his middleweight title against the former light heavyweight champion, Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida. After an intense, back-and-forth battle, which won Fight of the Night, Weidman was declared the winner by unanimous decision (49-45, 48-47, 49-46). At the post-fight press conference, Dana White was asked about Weidman's next possible fight, and the name that White gave was another former light heavyweight champion, Vitor "The Ph more

  • 18 days ago
  • 10 views

Perennial UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort feels he's been waiting on the sidelines for too long and is ready for another crack at UFC gold. Following 185-pound champ Chris Weidman's hard-fought win by decision over Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 Saturday night, "The Phenom" was quick to make it known on Twitter that he wants the next shot at "The All-American": Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT — Vitor Belfo more

  • 18 days ago
  • 37 views

Vitor Belfort could miss out once again on a shot at UFC middleweight champ Chris Weidman due to pending issues with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The Brazilian legend was originally slated to fight Weidman at UFC 173, but he was removed from the card and replaced with Lyoto Machida after the NSAC banned the use of testosterone replacement therapy, a treatment Belfort was on. The fight ended up being moved to UFC 175 after Weidman suffered a knee injury in training. Belfort was then give more

  • 17 days ago
  • 43 views

It didn't take long after the judges announced Chris Weidman had retained his belt for Vitor Belfort to call out the champion. Following his unanimous decision win over Lyoto Machida, Weidman was the target of a Belfort Twitter call out for a title shot. If you remember, Belfort was supposed to be in the UFC 175 main event opposite Weidman, but he was flagged for high testosterone levels in a pre-fight screening and subsequently removed from the main event. Belfort, who has challenged for the ti more