Brazilian UFC fighter Thiago Tavares revealed that he had kept his recent knee surgery a secret from the UFC so that they would not remove him from his featherweight debut against Robbie Peralta.

Many fans and pundits alike once debated that the UFC's fighter insurance could cause more fighters to pull out of contests than previously seen. Someone should have mentioned that to Thiago Tavares, who concealed a surgical operation on his knee from the UFC in order to ensure that he competed last week in Bangor, Maine.

For Tavares, the reason was simple:

"I didn't want to stay out too long again," Tavares told MMAFighting.com.

While the idea of keeping a surgery secret from the promotion you work for, particularly when your job is to compete in violent combat sports, is far from a recommended one, Tavares is relieved that the result favoured him in the end.

In fact, the urgency to win quickly and minimize the damage done to his knee certainly factored into his decision to press for the submission early on.

"It was great. Everything went as planned," he said. "I knew that my jiu-jitsu would prevail if I could take the fight to the ground. Robbie Peralta has heavy hands and knockout power, I couldn't stand and trade with him. When I go to a fight I just want to win and I'm willing to do anything to make it happen. I don't care how I win."

Having set aside his recent victory, Tavares is now focused on running for a seat at the Legislative Assembly of the State of Santa Catarina. Once the elections are complete he will resume preparation for his second featherweight fight with the promotion.

"After the elections, I will focus on my next fight, probably around December," he continued. "I will keep pursuing my dreams and goals. I never chose easy opponents and I won't do it now. I will be ready to fight whoever the UFC wants and I will do my best to get another win for Florianopolis."

Transcription taken from MMAFighitng.com.

Cat Zingano, voice of experience, offers Bethe Correia advice ahead of Ronda Rousey UFC 190 fight tonight

Anyone remember Cat Zingano? She was another undefeated (9-0) prospect in UFC's women's Bantamweight division who was expected to give champion Ronda Rousey her stiffest test to date when they faced read news >>

Dana White says UFC 190's pay-per-view buys trending ahead of UFC 189

Dana White last night said that UFC 190 is trending ahead of its biggest show this year, UFC 189 from three weeks ago. Early evidence of public interest shows that he may have understated that. After read news >>

UFC 190 trending ahead of UFC 189 says Dana White

The UFC president says Ronda Rousey's latest fight is looking to outperform Conor McGregor's breakthrough a month ago. Dana White is never shy to let the world know when the UFC does well and he appe read news >>

UFC fighter Josh Samman shares his experience of UFC Fight Week and his bout with Caio Magalhaes.

As the dust settles from a marathon of UFC events, middleweight Josh Samman goes into detail of his personal experience from UFC International Fight Week in an exclusive multi-part series. The day be read news >>

UFC Lightweight Al Iaquinta to Undergo Knee Surgery

UFC lightweight Al Iaquinta will require surgery on his knee, according to a report on Wednesday evening. read news >>

Latest CM Punk update: Watch video of UFC rookie sparring, grappling ahead of (eventual) Octagon debut

"I definitely don't want to wait too long. I understand all the criticism. Here I am with you interviewing me, they're making me do media, all this stuff. Eventually you're sick of talking about it a read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov pushes return from knee injury back to December

Khabib Nurmagomedov is pumping the brakes on his return from knee surgery. After undergoing surgery in May to repair his injured knee, the undefeated contender for the UFC lightweight title had targe read news >>

Glover Teixeira respects Ovince St. Preux's power, but questions his technique ahead of UFC main event

Glover Teixeira had his 20-fight winning streak snapped by Jon Jones and Phil Davis in 2014, but sees a five-round clash with Ovince Saint Preux as the perfect opportunity to show he’s a different fi read news >>

Anderson Silva Suspended: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

After failing drug tests ahead of his clash with Nick Diaz at UFC 183, Anderson Silva has been suspended from competition. Silva will be forced to sit out for one year and is fined the full $200,000 read news >>

Trainer: Amanda Nunes' striking is 'light years' ahead of Ronda Rousey's, can beat 'Rowdy' now

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion,Ronda Rousey, has proven she can outstrike the best of them, but she has yet to face someone with the stand up skills that Amanda Nu read news >>