Following a disappointing loss in her last XFC outing in February, Heather “Hurricane” Clark was looking to make a statement at this past Friday’s event against Avery Vilche.

Heather Clark XFC

Heather Clark (Courtesy of XFC)

“I think I performed pretty well,” said Clark. “I think I could have done some a few things better, but all in all I listened to my corner and stuck with the game plan and it worked pretty effectively.

“She actually pulled me on top of her into half-guard and from there I kind of baited an arm bar to pass to side and from there I set up mount, and from mount I did a little ground and pound and made her turn her back and finished with the rear naked choke.”

The victory over Vilche gives Clark five wins in her last six fights, but it’s that loss in February to Marianna Kheyfets that still bothers her.

“Looking back at the tape, all my coaches and friends haven’t been able to find exactly where the strike happened that made the eye swell, so it’s a little bit frustrating,” said Clark. “What happened was, I thought, ‘fair enough, she got me,’ but looking back now on the film, I can’t really find it, so I believe it should be a no contest and not a loss.

“It kind of gave me a little bit of a drive to show XFC what I’m capable of doing.”

With so few nationally televised events carrying women’s MMA, Clark feels that finding a home in a promotion like the XFC is a boom for her career.

“I feel completely honored and blessed to be with XFC,” she said. “Honestly, I don’t believe there is anywhere better I could be at my weight class. Bellator’s a good show as well, but I honestly think that the XFC does a better job at promoting their fighters, especially their female fighters. I couldn’t be anywhere better.”

For her next bout, Clark told MMAWeekly.com that she’d like to move down to 115 pounds and establish a title in the XFC at that weight. And thanks to the level of training she gets at Greg Jackson’s gym in Albuquerque, N.M., whomever Clark faces, she feels will be at a distinct disadvantage to her.

“I moved out here from Los Angeles just to train at this gym,” she said. “Working with Mike Winklejohn and attending Greg Jackson’s classes and learning from the best of the best. Going against that tough competition like Michelle (Waterson), Julie (Kedzie) and Holly (Holm), I can’t tell you how much confidence it gives me.

“When I get in the cage before my fights, I say, ‘This ain’t Julie, Holly or Michelle. I got this.’ I’m kind of joking, but I’m also serious because it’s true. What I have to face with these girls on a daily basis getting my butt kicked, when I get into my fights, it’s been nothing compared to this.”

Considering the opportunities afforded her by the XFC and her training camp, Clark doesn’t see anything less than a title around her waist a year from now and a spot amongst the top ranked female fighters.

“I’ve got to keep working on all my different skills and continue to be a well-rounded fighter, so that no matter who they put in front of me, I’ll be able to dominate and get through people and finish the fights,” she said. “I’ll keep working my butt off to become the best female fighter in the world, and I won’t stop at anything less.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy not working with FBI on recent ISIS threat

So what happens when you’re apparently targeted by ISIS and notified by the FBI? If you’re Tim Kennedy, you stay ready and carry the proper tools. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC fighters' funniest USADA-testing stories: Guns, birthday suits, GPS coordinates

BOSTON – Thanks to a recent deal with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) and the new UFC Anti-Doping Policy, fighters are getting tested more often, and they have plenty of stories about the process read news >>

Conor McGregor Did Not Appreciate Floyd Mayweather’s Racial Comments (Video)

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor responded to Floyd Mayweather's recent comments about race directed toward him and Ronda Rousey. read news >>

White: Ex-champ Cain Velasquez headed for back surgery, 4-week recovery expected

Cain Velasquez will reportedly undergo surgery following his most recent injury and fight withdrawal. According to Dana White, Velasquez is expected to make a complete recovery within four weeks of g read news >>

Patricky Freire on recent depression, stunning KO, callout of Melvin Guillard

Patricky Freire was not in a good place mentally after his loss to Derek Anderson at Bellator 147. The defeat led to issues with his family and even physical manifestations of stress.Filed under: Bel read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82's Joseph Benavidez still with Team Alpha Male despite mixed camp

Although Joseph Benavidez has spent recent weeks training alongside former UFC champ T.J. Dillashaw in Colorado, he said he wants to make it clear he hasn’t parted ways with Team Alpha Male the way D read news >>

Benson Henderson gets welterweight title shot vs. Koreshkov in Bellator 153 main event

Former UFC lightweight champion and recent Bellator acquisition Benson Henderson will get an immediate title shot at welterweight in his new home.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

VIDEO: Fighter Refuses to Accept He’s Been TKO’d, Ref Decides to Let Fight Continue

This referee decided to stop a fight and let it continue when the defeated fighter refused to acknowledge the TKO. read news >>

Jon Jones Responds to His Critics: ‘They’re Talking About Tickets”

Former UFC champ Jon Jones responded to critics of his recent traffic violation by posting a video on Instagram. read news >>

The Speed Bag: Hey, Fabricio Werdum and Conor McGregor, stop it – it's getting weird

Conor McGregor is the current undisputed king of trash talk, and Fabricio Werdum is always up for a good joke. But has it gone too far?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>