There’s An App for That: Joe Lauzon Takes Another Leap for Social Networking

• submit to reddit

Joe Lauzon is a nerd and he’s proud of it.

The UFC lightweight has striven for years to be ahead of the curve when it comes to social networking platforms, and as first discussed on MMAWeekly.com back in June, he always tries to be at the forefront of any idea.

A computer science major in college, Lauzon embraced the ability to market himself on the Internet while also interacting with his fans through every medium possible.

Now the Massachusetts native has taken the next logical step. Yep, you guessed it… for Joe Lauzon fans, there’s an app for that.

Lauzon on Wednesday launched the Joe Lauzon app, available for the iPhone through the iTunes store. For a fighter who prides himself for picking up the latest technological info and gadgets, having a mobile app was just a natural fit.

“Half the time when I wake up, I spend 20 or 30 minutes on my phone just laying in bed. My laptop is about five feet away, but my phone is just more convenient. I find out what’s going on in the MMA world, on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc.,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “For me, a mobile app was the only next step to take.”

Now Lauzon isn’t the first MMA fighter with an app available for download through platforms like iTunes or the Android store, but he’s certainly hoping to differentiate his application from all the others by providing different content than just the standard fight information.

“To begin with, there really aren’t many good apps out there centered around MMA. MixedMartialArts.com has a great one, but they are really the only ones. Theirs is great, but you won’t be finding any Transformers, X-Men, Apple news, or anything else like that on there,” Lauzon said about his new app.

“I have a ton of videos on everything from instructional videos, to fight predictions, to training sessions, and fight week blogs.”

With Lauzon’s next fight scheduled for October against rising lightweight contender Melvin Guillard, the timing to launch the new app seemed all too perfect.

For fans of Lauzon, he’s taking everything information-wise to his new app first before it hits his Twitter, Facebook, or any other page to give people something special when they download it.

“I will be documenting everything first and foremost on my app. Everything will eventually make it onto my Twitter and Facebook, but my app will get everything first,” Lauzon commented. “My app will also be the best place to find out about after parties and stuff going on the week of the fight.

“It’s a UFC Expo week, so there will be a ton of people there, and we are planning to do some more giveaways like I have done for my last couple fights. We have given away shirts, hats, and event tickets at my last four or five fights.”

And for the inner nerd that is Joe Lauzon, his app wouldn’t be complete without throwing in things like movies, comics, and technological news as well.

“I am putting everything I am into this app. It will have MMA, of course, but tech stuff, movie stuff, random funny videos, and anything else I seem to come up with,” he said.

Possibly the most innovative part of Joe Lauzon’s new iPhone app? It’s completely free to download.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) with guests Jim Miller and Joe Lauzon.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC more

Listen to or download today’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Jim Miller and Joe Lauzon. Filed under: News, Radio, UFC more

• 13 hours ago

At one point in time, now retired Canadian veteran Jason MacDonald was known at “The Ultimate Fighter” killer. However, Joe Lauzon could soon steal that title for himself.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos more

LAS VEGAS – The TUF 19 Finale takes place Sunday. As usual, you can watch a live video stream of the post-fight news conference here on MMAjunkie at approximately 12:30 a.m. ET (9:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

The Ultimate Fighter 19 season finale takes place on Sunday, and it is headlined by a battle of the coaches.
For the third time, Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn will step inside the cage to oppose each other. The first two times both went the way of Edgar by unanimous decision.
This time they meet at 145 pounds.
UFC 112 was the site of the first meeting between the two legends, but Edgar was not yet a legend. In a close battle, Edgar got the nod on the judges' scorecards, but many felt like Penn did e more

The official weigh-in event for UFC 175: "Weidman vs. Machida" takes place today (Fri., July 4, 2014) from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
As usual, MMAmania.com will provide both a live video stream and complete UFC 175 weigh-in results below, as well as detailed recap of the festivities just as soon as they conclude. The first fighter is expected to tip the scale at 7 p.m. ET.
Complete UFC 175 weigh in results are as follows:
Main card:
185 lbs.: Chris Weidman () vs. Lyoto more

Uriah Hall takes on fellow Middleweight Thiago Santos for a bout to decide if Hall won't become the next Phillipe Nover at UFC 175 in Vegas. Uriah Hall vs. Thiago Santos Middleweight
So is Uriah Hall the next Phillipe Nover and we just don't know it yet?
Possibly. I hate to play into the following narrative but I'll do it anyway. As everyone and their pinko commie friends knows, there is a racial component to how observers look at black athletes. Racial stereotypes are perpetuated by the assumpt more

It's a pretty safe bet that someone will get knocked out when Japanese legend Takanori Gomi takes on up-and-coming lightweight Myles Jury this September at Saitama Super Arena outside of Tokyo.
The bout was first reported Wednesday night by Damon Martin of FoxSports.com.
Gomi, The Fireball Kid, (35-9-1, 4-4 UFC) is a mainstay on UFC Japan cards. Though he is 35 years old and diminishing as a fighter, he still carries major punching power and a dogged drive to win, not to mention a titanic reputa more

MMA is a pretty surprising business. Go ahead, try and argue it isn't.
How many times have you seen a guy, on the fringes of his own consciousness and easy pickings for an opponent, come back and knock that opponent out with a hail Mary shot out of nowhere?
How many times have you gone to bed with things being pretty normal only to wake up eight hours later and see that the whole sport has been turned on its ear?
How many times have you said "there's no way the UFC is getting me to pay $60 for t more