Joe Lauzon is a nerd and he’s proud of it.

The UFC lightweight has striven for years to be ahead of the curve when it comes to social networking platforms, and as first discussed on MMAWeekly.com back in June, he always tries to be at the forefront of any idea.

A computer science major in college, Lauzon embraced the ability to market himself on the Internet while also interacting with his fans through every medium possible.

Now the Massachusetts native has taken the next logical step. Yep, you guessed it… for Joe Lauzon fans, there’s an app for that.

Lauzon on Wednesday launched the Joe Lauzon app, available for the iPhone through the iTunes store. For a fighter who prides himself for picking up the latest technological info and gadgets, having a mobile app was just a natural fit.

“Half the time when I wake up, I spend 20 or 30 minutes on my phone just laying in bed. My laptop is about five feet away, but my phone is just more convenient. I find out what’s going on in the MMA world, on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc.,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “For me, a mobile app was the only next step to take.”

Now Lauzon isn’t the first MMA fighter with an app available for download through platforms like iTunes or the Android store, but he’s certainly hoping to differentiate his application from all the others by providing different content than just the standard fight information.

“To begin with, there really aren’t many good apps out there centered around MMA. MixedMartialArts.com has a great one, but they are really the only ones. Theirs is great, but you won’t be finding any Transformers, X-Men, Apple news, or anything else like that on there,” Lauzon said about his new app.

“I have a ton of videos on everything from instructional videos, to fight predictions, to training sessions, and fight week blogs.”

With Lauzon’s next fight scheduled for October against rising lightweight contender Melvin Guillard, the timing to launch the new app seemed all too perfect.

For fans of Lauzon, he’s taking everything information-wise to his new app first before it hits his Twitter, Facebook, or any other page to give people something special when they download it.

“I will be documenting everything first and foremost on my app. Everything will eventually make it onto my Twitter and Facebook, but my app will get everything first,” Lauzon commented. “My app will also be the best place to find out about after parties and stuff going on the week of the fight.

“It’s a UFC Expo week, so there will be a ton of people there, and we are planning to do some more giveaways like I have done for my last couple fights. We have given away shirts, hats, and event tickets at my last four or five fights.”

And for the inner nerd that is Joe Lauzon, his app wouldn’t be complete without throwing in things like movies, comics, and technological news as well.

“I am putting everything I am into this app. It will have MMA, of course, but tech stuff, movie stuff, random funny videos, and anything else I seem to come up with,” he said.

Possibly the most innovative part of Joe Lauzon’s new iPhone app? It’s completely free to download.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 191: Frank Mir 'not happy' about matchup with Andrei Arlovski on a social level

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir was reluctant to accept a fight with Andrei Arlovski. Frank Mir and Andrei Arlovski have many things in common: both are former UFC heavyweight champions and read news >>

UFC issues statement on latest Anthony Johnson situation

The UFC has acknowledged Anthony Johnson's recent social media rant against a female in his gym, and have issued a statement regarding it. Anthony Johnson is being investigated by the UFC once again. read news >>

TUF 22 Finale set for Dec. 11 in Las Vegas; Joe Lauzon vs. Evan Dunham on the card

The Ultimate Fighter 22 will feature a European team, but the Finale card will be held on familiar ground in Las Vegas. The show will emanate from the Palms in Las Vegas on Dec. 11, one night before read news >>

Bethe Correia Says She Wants a Rematch with Ronda Rousey

Bethe Correia took to social media on Monday to let Ronda Rousey and the world know that she wants a rematch with the champion. In a long post on her Instagram account, Correia wrote, "So I tell @ron read news >>

Cathal Pendred: ‘I’ve seen boxercise classes where people hit the pads better than CM Punk’

The social media feud between Irishman Cathal Pendred and CM Punk has escalated to the point where some people are now hoping to see them fight. The problem is that the former professional wrestler C read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 73 event in Nashville, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov desribes pleasant encounter with Anthony Pettis

Khabib Nurmagomedov describes his surprising encounter with former lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis Khabib Nurmagomedov and Anthony Pettis have traded blows on social media for months, but when t read news >>

Joe Lauzon Eloquently Analyzes How Rousimar Palhares Is ‘Kind of a [Jerk]’

Joe Lauzon is the submission analyst MMA needs and this is video proof. read news >>

UFC's Joe Lauzon Breaks Down Palhares' Controversial Submission Tactics

It's one thing for officials and observers to weigh in on whether Rousimar Palhares holds onto his submission moves too long. When another elite fighter does it, it takes on extra gravitas. That's wh read news >>

Joe Lauzon debunks idea Rousimar Palhares holds submissions 'just' an extra second

WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares holds on to submissions for just an extra second? No big deal, right? Let veteran and fellow submission specialist Joe Lauzon debunk that notionFiled unde read news >>