TUF 17 Team Jones vs Team Sonnen Ultimate Fighter LogoIn last week’s episode of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen, Team Jones got their first win of the season and gained matchmaking control.  Coach Jon Jones picked the most seasoned fighter in the house, Bubba McDaniel, to take on the youngest contestant in The Ultimate Fighter history, 21-year old Kelvin Gastelum.

“My strategy leading into this fight is to utilize Bubba’s experience and just overall game.  We believe we’re going to win this fight everywhere against Kelvin,” said Jones.  “We called out Kelvin because we thought he was the weakest link and the smartest decision for our team.”

“Me being the youngest guy, I’m probably the one with the least experience in the house.  People probably underestimate me, and that’s fine with me.  I know how tough I am, and I know how good I am, and I know what I can do.  I’m not really worried about what other people are thinking,” said Gastelum.

The match up didn’t sit well with Team Sonnen’s Luke Barnatt.

“I think it’s a cheap shot from Bubba to be the most experienced man in the competition.  The guy has had nearly thirty fights.  He’s one of the older guys.  He’s one of the bigger guys.  He’s the man of the competition in a way, and he picks the youngest guy, one of the least experienced guys.  It’s just a bit cheap in my opinion,” said Barnatt.

Gustelum is a big fan of UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey.  Coach Chael Sonnen had Rousey call Gustelum to wish him luck in his fight with McDaniel.  If the call from Rousey wasn’t enough to inspire Gustelum, Team Sonnen brought in award winning actor and former professional boxer Mickey Rourke to speak to the team.

Bubba McDaniel vs. Kelvin Gastelum:

Gastelum came out setting the pace.  He moved forward and secured an early takedown.  McDaniel pushed him off and quickly got back to his feet, but most of the round was a back-and-forth grappling battle filled with transitions and reversals.  It was a tough round to score and heading into the second round, neither fighter had a clear advantage.

Gastelum opened the second stanza with a hard outside leg kick.  McDaniel tried for a trip takedown, but ended up on the bottom.  Gastelum gave up top position working for a guillotine choke.  He gave up his back but was able to shake McDaniel off.  Gastelum took McDaniel’s back and locked in a rear naked choke that forced McDaniel to tap out.

The win gave Team Sonnen matchmaking control and a 3-1 lead over Team Jones.

“I can’t stand it knowing I lost again.  I can’t stand it.  I’m a winner for a reason, you know.  I win fights.  I don’t just go out there and get trashed.  I don’t have anybody even compete as highly as he did with me.  I feel like a failure right now,” said a dejected McDaniel following the loss.

McDaniel’s hopes of winning the show and the UFC contract rests on getting a wildcard slot back into the tournament.

Coach Sonnen announced the next bout. He picked Tor Troeng to face Team Jones’ Josh Summan.

UFC 200 Embedded, Episode 5: Dana White Drops the Jon Jones Bomb on Daniel Cormier

On Episode 5 of UFC 200 Embedded, UFC president Dana White informs light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier that Jon Jones is out of the title fight. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

UFC 200 Predictions: Odds and Picks for Cormier vs. Silva Card

Jon Jones' removal from the card will cast a big shadow over UFC 200, but the event still promises to be one of the biggest of the year. UFC announced late Wednesday night that Jones wouldn't be figh read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale Video: Joanna Jedrzejczyk – Warrior Code

The Polish striker and UFC women's strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk talks about her passion for MMA and why she feels right at home inside the Octagon. read news >>

Dana White Discusses Jon Jones in Interview with Colin Cowherd

Jon Jones was removed from UFC 200 after the United States Anti-Doping Agency informed him of a possible doping violation on Wednesday, and UFC President Dana White was not thrilled with the untimely read news >>

Dana White Done With Jon Jones, Says He Should Clean House

After years of dealing with numerous out-of-the-Octagon issues swirling around Jon Jones, UFC president Dana White is done dealing with him. read news >>

Jon Jones' B Sample Tests Positive: Latest Comments, Reaction

The sports world was rocked Wednesday when the UFC pulled Jon Jones off Saturday's UFC 200 card for a potential doping violation. On Friday, the United States Anti-Doping Agency confirmed to ESPN's B read news >>

Jon Jones Anti-Doping Violation Press Conference (Full Video)

Jon Jones addresses the media following breaking news that he was flagged for a potential violation of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy and removed from UFC 200. read news >>

Jon Jones B Sample Results Confirm Initial USADA Findings

Jon Jones faces sanctioning following the confirmation of drug test results indicating that he violated the UFC Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

UFC TUF 23 Finale: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Fight Card Highlights

The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale is currently underway. The event features a strawweight title fight between champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk and challenger Claudia Gadelha. The bout marks a rematch of a 20 read news >>