TUF 17 Team Jones vs Team Sonnen Ultimate Fighter LogoIn last week’s episode of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen, Team Jones got their first win of the season and gained matchmaking control.  Coach Jon Jones picked the most seasoned fighter in the house, Bubba McDaniel, to take on the youngest contestant in The Ultimate Fighter history, 21-year old Kelvin Gastelum.

“My strategy leading into this fight is to utilize Bubba’s experience and just overall game.  We believe we’re going to win this fight everywhere against Kelvin,” said Jones.  “We called out Kelvin because we thought he was the weakest link and the smartest decision for our team.”

“Me being the youngest guy, I’m probably the one with the least experience in the house.  People probably underestimate me, and that’s fine with me.  I know how tough I am, and I know how good I am, and I know what I can do.  I’m not really worried about what other people are thinking,” said Gastelum.

The match up didn’t sit well with Team Sonnen’s Luke Barnatt.

“I think it’s a cheap shot from Bubba to be the most experienced man in the competition.  The guy has had nearly thirty fights.  He’s one of the older guys.  He’s one of the bigger guys.  He’s the man of the competition in a way, and he picks the youngest guy, one of the least experienced guys.  It’s just a bit cheap in my opinion,” said Barnatt.

Gustelum is a big fan of UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey.  Coach Chael Sonnen had Rousey call Gustelum to wish him luck in his fight with McDaniel.  If the call from Rousey wasn’t enough to inspire Gustelum, Team Sonnen brought in award winning actor and former professional boxer Mickey Rourke to speak to the team.

Bubba McDaniel vs. Kelvin Gastelum:

Gastelum came out setting the pace.  He moved forward and secured an early takedown.  McDaniel pushed him off and quickly got back to his feet, but most of the round was a back-and-forth grappling battle filled with transitions and reversals.  It was a tough round to score and heading into the second round, neither fighter had a clear advantage.

Gastelum opened the second stanza with a hard outside leg kick.  McDaniel tried for a trip takedown, but ended up on the bottom.  Gastelum gave up top position working for a guillotine choke.  He gave up his back but was able to shake McDaniel off.  Gastelum took McDaniel’s back and locked in a rear naked choke that forced McDaniel to tap out.

The win gave Team Sonnen matchmaking control and a 3-1 lead over Team Jones.

“I can’t stand it knowing I lost again.  I can’t stand it.  I’m a winner for a reason, you know.  I win fights.  I don’t just go out there and get trashed.  I don’t have anybody even compete as highly as he did with me.  I feel like a failure right now,” said a dejected McDaniel following the loss.

McDaniel’s hopes of winning the show and the UFC contract rests on getting a wildcard slot back into the tournament.

Coach Sonnen announced the next bout. He picked Tor Troeng to face Team Jones’ Josh Summan.

The Ultimate Fighter: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians Episode 5 Preview

Read the complete episode 5 preview for The Ultimate Fighter: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians, which airs Wednesdays at 10pm/7pm ETPT on FOX Sports 1. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 5

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 5 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>

Anthony Johnson's coach: 'We already know' what Daniel Cormier is going to do

Jon Jones can be unpredictable in the Octagon. With Daniel Cormier, what you see is pretty much what you get, according to Blackzilians striking coach Henri Hooft. Hooft's student Anthony Johnson was read news >>

Jon Jones Taken into Police Custody: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been taken into police custody after allegedly being involved in a hit-and-run. Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com reported the news: Jones has been charged read news >>

UFC Champ Jon Jones in Police Custody Following Hit-And-Run Accident

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones turned himself in to Albuquerque Police on Monday evening to face charges of allegedly being involved in a felony hit and run on Sunday. read news >>

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones now in Albuquerque police custody

One day after being involved in a hit-and-run crash in New Mexico, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is now in custody. Hours after the Albuquerque Police Department confirmed that a felony ar read news >>

Following Sunday hit-and-run, UFC champion Jon Jones in police custody

Following a turbulent day of news surrounding Jon Jones being wanted for questioning – and subsequently named a suspect – in a hit-and-run involving a pregnant woman, the UFC light heavyweight champi read news >>

Jon Jones turns himself into Albuquerque police custody on felony charge

Jon Jones is in police custody. The UFC light heavyweight champion turned himself in to the Albuquerque Police Department on Monday night, APD spokesman Tanner Tixier confirmed with MMAFighting.com's read news >>

Report: Jon Jones in custody of Albuquerque police after felony hit-and-run car crash

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight kingpin Jon Jones is finally in custody of authorities in Albuquerque, N.M., according to Ariel Helwani, who also confirmed the news with compan read news >>