Episode 11 – “Fight the Perfect Fight” – of The Ultimate Fighter Fridays reality series aired Friday night on FX and featured the final pair of this season’s quarterfinal match-ups.
First, after a tense two rounds between evenly matched combatants, Jon Manley took a majority decision over Team Carwin teammate Joey Rivera. Then, things heated up as former friends turned rivals Mike Ricci and Michael Hill entered the Octagon to finally settle their dispute. And, after pressing the action in both rounds, Ricci nabbed the win via unanimous decision.
Finally, UFC president Dana White rounded out the episode by announcing the semifinal matchups: teammates Jon Manley and Colton Smith will faceoff and Mike Ricci will take on Neil Magny. The two winners of these match-ups will face off in the much-anticipated live finale on Dec. 15 from The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
Here’s what the fighters had to say after their bouts:
Manley: “I’m not very happy with my performance. I did very well in trying to win the fight, but I spar with the guy a lot, I wrestle with him a lot, so I was scared to really exchange with him because in practice he beats my ass.”
Rivera: “I’m a little upset at myself, upset because I didn’t perform the way I should’ve. No excuses, I didn’t step on the gas the way I should’ve and Jon Manley was the better man today.”
Ricci: “I knew he was going to be tough, I knew he was going to come to fight. This means a lot to me, it means everything to me at this point. There are people who believe in me; my family, my friends and my coaches, but a lot of people said I was too small to be in this tournament and I want to prove those people wrong.”
Hill: “It just wasn’t my day today. Ricci came out to fight, I just didn’t give it my all, I didn’t give it 110%. I just let him beat me up for two rounds.”
The final episode will air next week, on Dec. 7 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on FX (check local listings for Central and Mountain Time). In Episode 12 – “Semifinal Showdown” – two semifinal fights determine which two men will move on to fight in the Finale for a coveted UFC contract.
Tickets for The Ultimate Fighter Finale on Dec. 15 at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas are on sale and priced at $304, $254, $179, $154, $104 and $79. To purchase tickets or for more information, visit the Hard Rock Box Office, all Ticketmaster locations, www.ticketmaster.com, www.thejointlasvegas.com or charge-by-phone at 800.745.3000.
TUF 16 Results after episode 11:
Team Carwin (6-6)
- Sam Alvey (0-1, lost to Joey Rivera by decision in episode 3)
- Bristol Marunde (1-1, defeated Julian Lane by decision in episode 4, lost to Neil Magny by decision in episode 10)
- Mike Ricci (2-0, defeated Dom Waters by decision in episode 9, defeated Mike Ricci by decision in episode 11)
- Neil Magny (2-0, defeated Cameron Diffley by decision in episode 2, defeated Bristol Marunde by decision in episode 10)
- James Chaney (0-1, submitted by Jon Manley in episode 8)
- Eddy Ellis (0-1, lost to Colton Smith by majority decision in epsiode 6)
- Igor Araujo (1-1, defeated Nic Herron-Webb by majority decision in episode 5, lost to Colton Smith by decision in episode 10)
- Matt Secor (0-1, lost to Michael Hill by split decision in episode 7)
Team Nelson (6-6)
- Dom Waters (0-1, lost to Mike Ricci by decision in episode 9)
- Michael Hill (1-1, defeated Matt Secor by split decision in episode 7, lost to Mike Ricci by decision in episode 11)
- Cameron Diffley (0-1, lost to Neil Magny by decision in episode 2)
- Colton Smith (2-0, defeated Eddy Ellis by majority decision in episode 6, defeated Igor Araujo by decision in episode 10)
- Jon Manley (2-0, submitted James Chaney is episode 8, defeated Joey Rivera by decision in episode 11)
- Nic Herron-Webb (0-1, lost to Igor Araujo by majority decision in episode 5)
- Joey Rivera (1-1, defeated Sam Alvey by decision in episode 3, lost to Jon Manley by decision in episode 11)
- Julian Lane (0-1, lost to Bristol Marunde by decision in episode 4)