Doug Marshall WEC 31Heading into his fight against Kyacey Uscola in September of 2010, former WEC light-heavyweight champion Doug “The Rhino” Marshall was on the cusp of possibly bringing his career back to old heights, when things took a detour for the worse.

As Marshall put it, “I made a 6-0 run at 185 pounds and I was thinking that if I beat Uscola it would open a door to get me back in the mainstream, on the radar, but I took that loss against him and it was back to the drawing board.”

A subsequent loss and win later, Marshall is looking to start off his 2012 with a bang when he makes a trip to New Delhi, India, as part of the fast-growing Super Fight League promotion on May 6.

“It’s a huge opportunity to go over to India to fight for the SFL and I’m stoked,” said Marshall. “I don’t mind fighting on a smaller showcase like at Tachi Palace Fights, but I don’t think it’s where The Rhino needs to be. The Rhino needs to be back up in the spotlight where he can shine, and I think this a step in the right direction.

“I want to make some noise in India and get the fans fired up and get them wanting more of the crazy, bald-headed, tattooed guy.”

At SFL 3, Marshall is scheduled to take on former Dream middleweight Zelg Galesic. While it may look like a close fight to some on paper, Marshall told MMAWeekly.com he doesn’t think so.

“I think he’s tough, but he ain’t tough enough,” said Marshall. “I think he’s had some really good match-ups in his favor, but I don’t think they’ve put him against someone who really wants to strike and stand and bang.

“I think it’s definitely going to be a fight that I can shine. Those fans in India aren’t going to be sitting down. It’s going to be like their seats are on fire because they’re going to be standing up the whole time thinking, ‘Damn, this guy here is going down!’”

As Marshall puts it, this isn’t a fight where he is going to waste time trying to analyze what his opponent is doing as much as he’s going in there to fight fast and hard from the start.

“I don’t give a (expletive) what he’s going to do,” said Marshall. “He needs to worry about what I’m going to do. I don’t fight not to lose; I fight to win. I let it all hang out.

“You’re never going to read a headline that says, ‘The Rhino’s fight was boring.’ It’s always going to be fireworks and always over in a hurry.”

Having been a big part of the WEC prior to its acquisition by Zuffa, Marshall feels he can do so again for the SFL and start a new chapter in his career, rather than bask in the past.

“Just because of what I’ve done in the past, doesn’t mean I get handed anything in the future,” he said. “You’re only as good as your last fight, that’s what people remember. So it’s time to show ‘em and get my name jingling in their brain again and get them thinking, ‘This guy is a beast!’

“I had a great run in the WEC and they gave me good times and I gave them good times, but it’s all in the past now. It’s time to find a new promotion that I can help and they can help me and we can build it all the way to the top.”

Tony Ferguson Has No Plans to Watch Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson is one of the top lightweights in the division, but says he couldn't care less about champion Eddie Alvarez's fight with Conor McGregor. read news >>

Stephen Thompson Plans to 'Muhammad Ali' Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson is prepared for his first UFC title fight and plans to 'Muhammad Ali' champion Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 on Saturday. read news >>

UFC set for return to Halifax on Feb. 19, London on March 18

The UFC is headed back to London early next year with a Fight Night event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 205's Karolina Kowalkiewicz plans to give champ Jedrzejczyk 'hardest fight of her life'

NEW YORK – No one has been able to figure out the puzzle that is UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. However, UFC 205 challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz insists she’s going to be the one to ge read news >>

Georgi Karakhanyan Plans Move to Lightweight Following Featherweight Fight in Israel | MMAWeekly.com

Following his Bellator 164 bout in Israel, Georgi Karakhanyan plans to leave featherweight behind and make the move to lightweight for some pivotal bouts. read news >>

Eduard Folayang Plans to Prove the World Wrong in Shinya Aoki Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Eduard Folayang knows that he is considered a long shot to defeat Shinya Aoki at ONE: Defending Honor, but he plans to prove the doubters wrong. read news >>

Former champ Miesha Tate plans to take some down time after UFC 205

NEW YORK – After a busy year, former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate is planning to take some time away from the sport following her upcoming UFC 205 bout with Raquel Pennington.Filed u read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping wants next defense at UFC 208, plans to retire when he drops belt

NEW YORK – With a record-tying 27 UFC fights to his name, UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has put a time limit on his career – and it’s set around the length of his title reign.Filed under: read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100's Manny Gamburyan not ruling out move down to 125

SAO PAULO – WEC and UFC veteran Manny Gamburyan feels “strong as hell” at age 35, and going into his fourth scrap since moving down to the UFC’s bantamweight division, he’s not ruling out a trip to t read news >>