Thanks to Matt Hamill, Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson Now Wants to Break His Will More Than Ever

• submit to reddit
Matt Hamill vs Quinton Rampage Jackson - UFC 130

Matt Hamill vs Quinton Rampage Jackson

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson isn’t particularly excited to face Matt Hamill at UFC 130, but that’s not a slight on his opponent, he’s just not excited to face anyone in particular.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion spoke on Thursday about recent comments he had made expressing that he didn’t find a lot of excitement in his fight coming up on May 28.

It wasn’t necessarily anything against Hamill, but according to Jackson, fighting is his job and how he puts food on the table. That’s it.

“If they get to know me, I’m not really excited about anybody I fight,” Jackson stated. “It’s my job to me; it’s my career. I don’t get excited no more. I’ve got almost 40 fights. I don’t get excited about anybody I fight. I just go in and do it.”

If Jackson takes any heat for such statements, it doesn’t really bother him because while he’s out to perform and win every fight he’s involved in, his deepest concern lies with taking care of his family.

Jackson loves the fans that support him, but ultimately he answers only to the family that relies on him every single day.

“That stuff don’t bother me at all what they say or what they think. It’s my life, it’s my family I take care of, and I have my goals and my plans, things I’m going to do to make me happy. That’s all I really care about, me and my family,” Jackson said.

“The fans I’m just here to entertain them, but do I care about them the way I do my family? Hell no.”

Excitement is different than motivation, however, when it comes to Jackson’s feelings towards facing Hamill at UFC 130.

Hamill had made some comments about how he was approaching the fight with Rampage, and how he believed he could break the former light heavyweight champion’s will when they step into the Octagon together.

Unwittingly, Hamill may have actually provided Jackson with just the ammunition he needed to push those extra hours of preparation in the gym to make sure he was really ready for their bout.

“I think Matt made a mistake when he actually said he’s going to break my will, and that I’m going to overlook him,” Rampage commented.

“That actually lit a fire up under my ass, and actually made me train a little bit harder just so I could break his will. So I could make sure I could outclass him.”

Jackson will try to prove that fatal error on Hamill’s part when the square off in the main event of UFC 130 next weekend in Las Vegas.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Veteran Matt Hamill has gone back into retirement from mixed martial arts.
The popular deaf standout from The Ultimate Fighter 3 returned from a one-year retirement in 2012 and fought twice. But what Hamill termed a 'nagging injury' has caused the 37-year-old to step away once and for all.
Hamill announced his retirement on Wednesday via Facebook.
"First and foremost, I would like to thank my most loyal fans for standing by me throughout my 10 year career with MMA," Hamill said. "All good things more

Bia Mesquita would like to see Metamoris set up a bout with Ronda Rousey to quiet Rousey's talk of being able to beat any BJJ champ in the world.
Ronda Rousey made waves recently when she said that she could beat any female Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu artist in the world, gi or no-gi, in grappling. The brash statement was nothing new for the UFC's women's bantamweight champion and it drew the expected response from the BJJ community.
Now, lightweight and open class jiu-jitsu world champion, Bia Mesquita more

For the second time in nearly three years, UFC veteran Matt Hamill has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. more

"The Hammer" is headed back to the toolbox ... this time for good.
Matt Hamill's retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA) ... take two.
The longtime Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veteran, who cut his teeth on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) and gave Michael Bisping his first big rivalry, is calling it quits after a nagging injury has prevented him from getting back inside the cage.
From his official Facebook page: "First and foremost, I would like to thank my most loyal fans fo more

Notable MMA coach Ray Longo discussed his team’s two victories this week, including Chris Weidman’s “brawling” victory over Lyoto Machida. He also explained his stance on Vitor Belfort and what it would take for the Brazilian to face Weidman in the octagon. more

After Chris Camozzi was outwrestled for the better part of 15 minutes in a lackluster UFC 175 affair, the middleweight veteran says he’s hoping he can quickly book a return bout against someone who’s actually willing to fight.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

Vitor Belfort's future in MMA may be uncertain at this time, but that isn't particularly worrisome for UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman. Speaking with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani on the July 14, 2014 edition of The MMA Hour (transcribed by MMA Fighting's Chuck Mindenhall), Weidman pointed specifically to The Phenom regarding whom he wants to face next.
"I do want to fight Vitor Belfort. He’s the guy who’s been floating around the top for awhile now," he said. "He's another legend. I've k more

• 10 hours ago

By the time Nick Diaz is face-to-face with Anderson Silva at UFC 183, it will have been nearly two years since the Stockton, Calif., native last set foot in the Octagon. more

Myles Jury has been vocal in his criticism of Nate Diaz this week, but it doesn't seem he's had to wait long to find out who his next opponent will be. After calling out Nate Diaz earlier this week for not signing to a supposed fight offer, Myles Jury (14-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will apparently face another veteran of the division instead.
According to Fox Sports, the Alliance MMA product is being lined up to face former PRIDE FC lightweight champion Takanori Gomi (35-9 (1 NC) MMA, 4-4 UFC) at the Saita more