Matt Hamill vs Quinton Rampage Jackson - UFC 130

Matt Hamill vs Quinton Rampage Jackson

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson isn’t particularly excited to face Matt Hamill at UFC 130, but that’s not a slight on his opponent, he’s just not excited to face anyone in particular.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion spoke on Thursday about recent comments he had made expressing that he didn’t find a lot of excitement in his fight coming up on May 28.

It wasn’t necessarily anything against Hamill, but according to Jackson, fighting is his job and how he puts food on the table. That’s it.

“If they get to know me, I’m not really excited about anybody I fight,” Jackson stated. “It’s my job to me; it’s my career. I don’t get excited no more. I’ve got almost 40 fights. I don’t get excited about anybody I fight. I just go in and do it.”

If Jackson takes any heat for such statements, it doesn’t really bother him because while he’s out to perform and win every fight he’s involved in, his deepest concern lies with taking care of his family.

Jackson loves the fans that support him, but ultimately he answers only to the family that relies on him every single day.

“That stuff don’t bother me at all what they say or what they think. It’s my life, it’s my family I take care of, and I have my goals and my plans, things I’m going to do to make me happy. That’s all I really care about, me and my family,” Jackson said.

“The fans I’m just here to entertain them, but do I care about them the way I do my family? Hell no.”

Excitement is different than motivation, however, when it comes to Jackson’s feelings towards facing Hamill at UFC 130.

Hamill had made some comments about how he was approaching the fight with Rampage, and how he believed he could break the former light heavyweight champion’s will when they step into the Octagon together.

Unwittingly, Hamill may have actually provided Jackson with just the ammunition he needed to push those extra hours of preparation in the gym to make sure he was really ready for their bout.

“I think Matt made a mistake when he actually said he’s going to break my will, and that I’m going to overlook him,” Rampage commented.

“That actually lit a fire up under my ass, and actually made me train a little bit harder just so I could break his will. So I could make sure I could outclass him.”

Jackson will try to prove that fatal error on Hamill’s part when the square off in the main event of UFC 130 next weekend in Las Vegas.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Matt Hamill saves child on highway days after WSOF 19 pullout

Matt Hamill's third stab at his fighting career may not have started as planned, but at least some good came out of his lost weekend. Three days after Hamill was forced to withdraw from his World Ser read news >>

Glover Teixeira wants new title run: 'I will bring the belt back to Brazil'

Glover Teixeira is excited to get back in action against Alexander Gustafsson in Berlim and guarantees he is still not done with the title, in fact he wants to bring the belt back to Brazil. Glover T read news >>

Fedor reflects on M-1 Global/UFC altercations, excited to help Coker for Bellator's future

MMA's Russian figurehead Fedor Emelianenko has no qualms with the failed UFC/M-1 Global negotiations during the peak of his career. The former Pride champ looks to the future to aid in Scott Coker's read news >>

'Excited' Chad Mendes predicts Jose Aldo over Conor McGregor at UFC 189

Chad Mendes has a vested interest in the UFC 189 featherweight title fight between Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor. That’s mainly because he’s on the short-list of candidates to fight the winner.Filed u read news >>

Matt Hamill withdraws from WSOF 19 due to illness

The World Series of Fighting 19 card tonight in Phoenix, Arizona has been shaken up in a big way. Due to Matt Hamill withdrawing from the show due to illness, the two light heavyweight fights have be read news >>

Illness forces Matt Hamill out of WSOF 19 co-main event vs. Thiago Silva

Sorry, folks. We won't be getting that coveted Thiago Silva-Matt Hamill rematch tonight. Coming out of retirement for a 2nd time, UFC veteran Matt Hamill was scheduled to make his return against Thia read news >>

Matt Hamill Withdraws from WSOF 19 Co-Main Event, Thiago Silva Gets New Opponent

Hours before his scheduled rematch and World Series of Fighting 19 co-main event matchup with Thiago Silva, Matt “The Hammer” Hamill has withdrawn from the bout due to illness. read news >>

Matt Hamill withdraws from WSOF 19, Thiago Silva now faces Teddy Holder

Just hours before he was set to return from retirement, Matt Hamill has withdrawn from tonight’s WSOF 19 event.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Matt Hamill out of WSOF 19 bout opposite Thiago Silva

Matt Hamill's rematch with Thiago Silva and WSOF debut will have to wait. According to PR representative Mike Afromowitz, Hamill has been forced to withdraw from his bout at the eleventh hour of thei read news >>