Matt Hamill vs Quinton Rampage Jackson - UFC 130

Matt Hamill vs Quinton Rampage Jackson

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson isn’t particularly excited to face Matt Hamill at UFC 130, but that’s not a slight on his opponent, he’s just not excited to face anyone in particular.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion spoke on Thursday about recent comments he had made expressing that he didn’t find a lot of excitement in his fight coming up on May 28.

It wasn’t necessarily anything against Hamill, but according to Jackson, fighting is his job and how he puts food on the table. That’s it.

“If they get to know me, I’m not really excited about anybody I fight,” Jackson stated. “It’s my job to me; it’s my career. I don’t get excited no more. I’ve got almost 40 fights. I don’t get excited about anybody I fight. I just go in and do it.”

If Jackson takes any heat for such statements, it doesn’t really bother him because while he’s out to perform and win every fight he’s involved in, his deepest concern lies with taking care of his family.

Jackson loves the fans that support him, but ultimately he answers only to the family that relies on him every single day.

“That stuff don’t bother me at all what they say or what they think. It’s my life, it’s my family I take care of, and I have my goals and my plans, things I’m going to do to make me happy. That’s all I really care about, me and my family,” Jackson said.

“The fans I’m just here to entertain them, but do I care about them the way I do my family? Hell no.”

Excitement is different than motivation, however, when it comes to Jackson’s feelings towards facing Hamill at UFC 130.

Hamill had made some comments about how he was approaching the fight with Rampage, and how he believed he could break the former light heavyweight champion’s will when they step into the Octagon together.

Unwittingly, Hamill may have actually provided Jackson with just the ammunition he needed to push those extra hours of preparation in the gym to make sure he was really ready for their bout.

“I think Matt made a mistake when he actually said he’s going to break my will, and that I’m going to overlook him,” Rampage commented.

“That actually lit a fire up under my ass, and actually made me train a little bit harder just so I could break his will. So I could make sure I could outclass him.”

Jackson will try to prove that fatal error on Hamill’s part when the square off in the main event of UFC 130 next weekend in Las Vegas.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The official 'UFC 189: Aldo vs. McGregor' promo will give you goosebumps

• a day ago
  • 2040 views

If the official UFC 189 trailer doesn’t get you excited for this summer’s Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor UFC title fight, it’s likely nothing will.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Tony Ferguson to Josh Thomson: 'Take your ass off of Twitter and get in the gym'

Tony Ferguson went from excited about the opportunity to fight MMA veteran Josh Thomson at UFC Fight Night 71 to annoyed with his opponent’s disrespectful talk.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Rad read news >>

James Vick: The World is Not Enough

It doesn’t take much to get James Vick excited to fight, but when you throw in world travel and guaranteed adventure, he gets flat out fired up. And while that description may sound like the calling read news >>

Lorenzo Fertitta: 'Majority of athletes that we've spoken to are excited' about Reebok numbers

UFC brass explains how the compensation numbers of their huge sponsorship deal came about, reveals more details. Five months ago, the UFC announced a groundbreaking sponsorship deal with sports appar read news >>

Jake Shields excited to face 'dirty sociopath' Rousimar Palhares at WSOF 22

Jake Shields sounds off on World Series of Fighting champion, and future opponent Rousimar Palhares ahead of their title clash at WSOF 22. Former Strikeforce champion and UFC title challenger Jake Sh read news >>

Roy Jones: A win over Manny Pacquiao would not make Floyd Mayweather the best ever

Roy Jones Jr. is excited for the highly anticipated boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. He just doesn't think a win over Mayweather would elevate his legacy all that much. Jones read news >>

Melvin Guillard granted release from WSOF, 'excited to be starting over'

Melvin Guillard is a free agent. World Series of Fighting granted the UFC veteran his release Thursday, MMAFighting.com has confirmed with Guillard's manager Abe Kawa. After a tumultuous run with the read news >>

Ben Askren: 'I'm excited to kick Santos' butt' after he 'played up' accidental eye poke

Ben Askren expected a strong start for Luis Santos at ONE Championship 26, but he still wonders just how serious the inadvertent eye poke that brought a halt to the bout really was.Filed under: News read news >>