The Tennessee Athletic Commission has reviewed and issued five individual suspensions and fine recommendations in connection with the in-cage, post-fight brawl that occurred after the April 17 Strikeforce event at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn.

The commission, per its protocol, will not identify the individuals until its administrative actions are finalized, either through settlement or hearings.

In a meeting held Thursday in Nashville, the nine-member commission voted to propose $20,000 fines and nine-month suspensions for all five individuals at a formal disciplinary hearing. However, these initial figures can all be reduced to fines ranging between $5,000-$7,500 and three-month suspensions if the recipients do not contest the proceedings and agree to “settle this matter with a consent order.”

The proposed disciplinary actions apply to five of six individuals who are in receipt of complaint letters mailed out in late April and early May. The regulatory body is still waiting on one more response request from a sixth individual issued a complaint letter after the initial five were mailed. According to an e-mail from Christopher Garrett, communications director for the Tennessee Athletic Commission, the sixth person was not licensed by the commission on April 17 and “there was some difficulty and delay in identifying this individual and his address.”

In addition, two individuals face $7,500 fines in the settlement phase. One is listed as unlicensed, while both failed to respond to the complaint letters issued by the regulatory body. The respondents also face "associated costs" in addition to the fines. Garrett couldn't initially define what those costs referred to or whether the suspensions would be retroactive from April 17 or would begin upon the settlement dates.

Although the commission has not yet publicly identified the individuals, Sherdog.com has identified four of the six cited as Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields, lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez, welterweight champion Nick Diaz, and middleweight Jason “Mayhem” Miller.

Nate Diaz, Nick’s younger brother and a participant in the April 17 incident, was not licensed as a cornerman that night and didn’t initially receive a complaint, said his trainer Cesar Gracie in April. However, Gracie indicated Thursday that the younger Diaz brother, who fights for the UFC, received a complaint letter at a later date than the rest. Gracie wouldn’t confirm if Diaz is the sixth recipient the commission is awaiting a response from.

On April 17, Miller and Cesar Gracie camp members became engaged in a brawl after Miller entered the cage without the commission’s or Strikeforce’s permission to campaign for a rematch with Shields directly following his five-round title defense against Dan Henderson. A grounded Miller was shown getting punched and kicked by multiple Cesar Gracie team members during a live CBS broadcast.

The six respondents have the option to request a hearing in front of the TAC within 30 days of any disciplinary action that is presented to them. However, they risk receiving the heftier fines and suspensions.

Both Gracie and Ryan Parsons, who represents Miller, told Sherdog.com Thursday that they have not received the commission’s initial findings yet and would need to review them before commenting.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker had previously told Sherdog.com that he would abide by any disciplinary action handed down by the regulatory body. Coker already elected to not schedule Miller to fight at Strikeforce’s June 16 event in Los Angeles in light of Miller’s participation in the brawl.

Coker told Sherdog.com that Nick Diaz’s contract to fight Hayato Sakurai at Dream 14 this Saturday is a direct deal with the Japanese promotion, which doesn’t give the American promoter jurisdiction over the bout. Diaz faces Sakurai at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

UFC 184 medical suspensions: Ronda Rousey out for a week following 14 second win

  • 23 days ago
  • 164 views

The California State Athletic Commission has released the medical suspensions for all the fighters who competed on the UFC 184 card last Saturday. UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey defen read news >>

Iowa Athletic Commission: Case against Josh Neer 'closed' because our rules don't cover gym fights

  • 28 days ago
  • 6 views

What happens in the gym, stays in the gym. That's according to Iowa Athletic Commission Executive Director Joe Walsh, after closing the case against former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welter read news >>

Report: Silva to Admit to 'Therapeutic' PED Usage

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission disciplinary hearing for former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva does not have a set date in March... read news >>

Nevada Athletic Commission files official argument in Wanderlei Silva drug testing situation

  • 19 days ago
  • 30 views

The Nevada State Commission has released its official Answering Brief where they argue their case against retired UFC fighter Wanderlei Silva. Several months ago, Wanderlei Silva was handed a lifetim read news >>

Vitor Belfort talks drug testing and the pros and cons of UFC-Reebok sponsorship

  • 17 days ago
  • 0 views

Last July, the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) granted longtime contender Vitor Belfort a license to challenge for Chris Weidman's UFC middleweight title. The decision was not without controversy, g read news >>

Brazilian Commission Drug Tests Every UFC Fight Night 61 Fighter | MMAWeekly.com

  • 13 days ago
  • 0 views

The Brazilian Athletic Commission of MMA released the drug test results stemming from UFC Fight Night 61 on Friday. All 22 fighters were tested. read news >>

CSAC confirms positive test for Bellator's Alexander Shlemenko, cites multiple violations

  • 9 days ago
  • 3 views

The California State Athletic Commission today confirmed that ex-Bellator MMA middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko failed a pre-fight test stemming from his appearance this past month at Bellato read news >>

Report: Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz NSAC Hearings Delayed

  • 8 days ago
  • 0 views

Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz have requested continuances for their hearings before the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The news on Silva was first reported by Combate and was then confirmed by Marc read news >>

NSAC meets Monday: Anderson Silva off agenda, Nick Diaz and Hector Lombard on

  • 7 days ago
  • 2 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will meet next week, but Anderson Silva won’t be on the agenda. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>