The weight cutting phenomenon is nothing new in MMA and there are many occasions where a fighter will drop divisions for the wrong reasons.

Maybe they are coming off of a couple losses, or maybe it’s just having people in their ear saying that they’d do better at a lower weight class.

The flipside of that argument, however, are the fighters that flourish at a lower weight class.

That seems to be the case with former Pride lightweight contender Tatsuya Kawajiri, who has found career rejuvenation at featherweight after spending most of his career as a lightweight.

Since dropping down a weight class, Kawajiri has looked ultra impressive winning two fights in a row, including submissions over Joachim Hansen and Kazuyuki Miyata.

Now “The Crusher” will look to make it three in a row when he makes his One FC debut this weekend against King of the Cage veteran Donald Sanchez.

Kawajiri now feels like he has finally found the right home and wants to continue his dominance at One FC 3 this weekend in Singapore.

“I feel it is the right division for me and I am ready to take on the top fighters and show that I am the top fighter,” Kawajiri told MMAWeekly.com. “I feel being featherweight will give me an advantage that I did not have at 155 pounds. I am more comfortable fighting at this weight. Cutting the weight is not easy, but that is my business, I will make the weight.”

The fight against Sanchez is Kawajiri’s first for One FC, and he’s hopeful to fight for them many more times. While he still hopes to compete in Japan for Dream, there’s no hiding the fact that the promotion has undergone hard times of late financially speaking, while One FC continues to expand throughout Asia.

If Kawajiri has his way though, he’ll be a very busy man in 2012. “I would like to fight six times in 2012, for One FC and for Dream and wherever the offer comes.”

Kawajiri’s debut appearance in One FC will also be his first fight in front of the fans of Singapore, and while he is slated as the co-main event of the evening, the former Strikeforce competitor wants to leave all of them with something to remember.

“I want to fight in a way that fans will never forget. I want to win and I want to get fight of the night. It’s not enough for me to win, I want to put on a performance which people will remember so that I can become a Japanese superstar in Singapore,” Kawajiri stated.

If he can get past Sanchez at One FC, Kawajiri will continue to be a hot commodity in the featherweight division. With several impressive wins to his credit at 155 pounds already, Kawajiri’s star will definitely be on the rise at 145 pounds this year.

Tatsuya Kawajiri’s bout with Donald Sanchez, as well as all the other fights on the One FC 3: War of the Lions card, will be available to view for free on the promotion’s YouTube channel starting at 8 a.m. ET on Saturday, March 31.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on FOX 21 Results: Anthony Pettis Wins Featherweight Debut; Aims for Conor McGregor’s Belt

Following an impressive finish in his featherweight debut at UFC on FOX 21, Anthony Pettis wasted no time taking aim at Conor McGregor's belt. read news >>

ONE Headliner Ev Ting: ‘I’m Gonna Punch Him and He’s Gonna Fall Over’

Ev Ting will be moving up a division to face Rob Lisita in the main event of ONE: Unbreakable Warriors this weekend, but he's not lacking in confidence. read news >>

Alaska's Mitchell hoping to jolt Ultimate Fighter rivals

In a flyweight division that doesn’t have the amount of finishes other divisions do, Anchorage, Alaska's Terrence Mitchell is one of those people that can immediately provide a jolt as he enters seas read news >>

Fighting for Barnett leads to fulfilling life

To Josh Barnett, fighting is more than just about a physical contest or wins and losses. It's about leading a fulfilling life. Barnett headlines Fight Night Hamburg against Andrei Arlovski on Sept. 3 read news >>

Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans Set for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy will return to the Octagon to welcome Rashad Evans to the middleweight division at UFC 205. read news >>

Titan FC 41 Results: Kalindra Faria Wins Inaugural Bantamweight Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Kalindra Faria closed out her trilogy of fights with Carina Damm, winning a unanimous decision to capture the inaugural Titan FC bantamweight championship. read news >>

Joanne Calderwood vs. Jessica Andrade Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The strawweight division was put on notice after Jessica Andrade (15-5) dispatched Jessica Penne at UFC 199, and now the upper echelon is on red alert. Andrade walked through Joanne Calderwood (11-3) read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Cheick Kongo, Joe Warren Pick Up Wins in Texas | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 161 landed in Cedar Park, Texas on Friday night, and the card was capped off with a heavyweight affair. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 94 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Poirier vs. Johnson Card

The UFC lightweight division has a new title contender in Michael Johnson. It didn't take long for Johnson to show the world he means business in this division, knocking out Poirier after 95 seconds. read news >>

Canelo Alvarez Wins WBO Light Middleweight Championship, Besting Liam Smith | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports Mexican boxing star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez simultaneously proved both his star and punching power as he put away plucky Brit Liam Smith to earn the WBO light mi read news >>