Tara LaRosa USA WrestlingFollowing a year off, top women’s 125-pound fighter Tara LaRosa returned to MMA with a second round submission victory over Kelly Warren in March. But even though she won, LaRosa wasn’t exactly thrilled with her performance.

“I came off of not training for a year, year and a half, so when I got back in the gym, I went from 0-to-60 immediately and was doing two-a-days for three weeks and somehow I burnt myself out and I think it showed. It was just really a boring fight, honestly,” said LaRosa.

“There was too much hesitance on both sides. I didn’t really push it and was trying more to pick her apart and try to stand and not really work to my strengths, which is just what I needed to do. In the end, it worked out. I got her to tap and not go to decision, thank God.”

Still, LaRosa performed well enough to warrant signing with Invicta FC and will have her first fight for the promotion on Saturday in Kansas City.

When asked if this could finally be the breakthrough for her to get some mainstream exposure, LaRosa answered, “I think so. They have a pretty broad viewership and I’m really hoping to put on a good performance and pick up some new followers and fans.

“If you knew me from all these years, you know what I’m about and what I can do. If people want to all of a sudden get on board, that’s cool, they’ll find out and can look back through the archives at some of my old fights and they’ll figure it out.”

Never one to take the easy way, LaRosa’s Invicta debut comes against a fighter she feels she mirrors a lot in veteran Vanessa Porto.

“She’s a seasoned fighter and has seen a lot, pretty much like I have,” said LaRosa of Porto. “There’s not too much that either of us hasn’t seen. We’re both pretty good on the ground, have good stand-up and a good transition game between the two; she has wrestling, I have judo. We’re both well-rounded so it can be exciting anywhere it goes.”

LaRosa commented on the possibility that a mistake could turn the fight by saying, “I’ve been thinking about that a lot and I don’t see either of us messing up too much to capitalize on the other.

“I think it’s going to come down to who hustles the most in the fight.”

After years of bouncing around promotions, LaRosa hopes Saturday night is the start of a long-term commitment to Invicta and the first step towards claiming their 125-pound championship.

“I’d wholly love to establish myself here, definitely,” she said. “They seem really firm and solid, like they’re not going away. I’d have no problem laying down some roots here and working towards a title.

“Bodog was the last stable place that I had that gave me a good look and threw every top chick at me that they could find and every fight was great, and I haven’t had that since. That was back in 2007, so it’s been a long time. I’m looking forward to getting those top fights that I’ve been really searching for and wanting somebody to give me. I’m really hoping that this is the place and that I’m home.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

(Photo courtesy of USA Wrestling)

Watch today's Invicta FC 13 weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 9 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – Invicta FC 13 weigh-in takes place today, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin live results and discussion

Bloody Elbow is the place to be to discuss tonight's Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin card, which begins at 11 PM ET/8 PM PT from Las Vegas, Nevada. Why yes, there may be 500 UFC events coming up o read news >>

Invicta 13 results: Live streaming play-by-play updates for 'Cyborg vs Van Duin' online

Invicta FC 13: "Cyborg vs. Van Duin" takes place TONIGHT (Thurs., July 9, 2015) from "The Chelsea" inside The Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, featuring a much anticipated Featherweight showd read news >>

Invicta FC 13 Full Fight: Cris Cyborg Blasts Charmaine Tweet

Famous for her TKO wins and carrying a dominant reputation, Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino defends her title against Charmaine Tweet. read news >>

Invicta FC 13's Tonya Evinger on why she won't sign with UFC and wants to be their spoiler

Tonya Evinger remembers well her last conversation with the UFC. It certainly made an impression, and not necessarily a good oneFiled under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amy Montenegro Ready to Capture the Spotlight at Invicta FC 13

Strawweight prospect Amy Cadwell Montenegro knows that Invicta FC 13, part of UFC International Fight Week, is her opportunity to capture a white-hot spotlight. read news >>

TUF 21 Finale: 3 Things to Look for in Michelle Waterson's UFC Debut

Michelle Waterson, former Invicta FC atomweight champion, joined the UFC earlier this year and will make her in-cage debut on July 12th against Angela Magana. It was a significant signing for the gro read news >>

Watch the Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin Weigh-In Live on Wednesday at 9 PM ET

Watch the official Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin weigh-in streaming live from Las Vegas on Wednesday at 9 p.m ET. read news >>

Brandon Thatch: Rukus Redefined

Let’s define “Rukus.” If one had to explain what UFC welterweight Brandon Thatch’s nickname meant, the best place to start is the 11 pro wins that are all first-round finishes including back-to-back read news >>

Invicta FC 13: Cris Cyborg Gets Another Tuneup Fight Before Attempting 135 Lbs

Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino returns to action this week, and it will be just another fight of total destruction to add to her resume. Justino, the Invicta FC featherweight champion, defends her title read news >>