Tank Abbott didn’t just write a novel. He wrote three.

The first work in the trilogy, “Bar Brawler,” is available now on Amazon.com as a paperback and as a Kindle download. It tells the story of Walter Foxx, a fictional character described as “Happening Beach, California’s most feared bar brawler.”

To fight fans, Foxx may sound a lot like Abbott himself. The character’s adventures may also echo many of Abbott’s.

“It’s up for you to figure out if it’s true or not, but if I was a betting man, it’s pretty close to being true,” Abbott told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “But I made things up and made people up and everything else, so it’s just a novel and people can make what they want of it.”

Abbott did acknowledge that he had plenty of real-life material to work from as a writer. He estimated that before debuting in the UFC with a violent knockout of John Matua in July 1995, he’d already had some 200 street fights.

“I can draw on some things and put them into stories, so to speak,” Abbott said.

Of course, an autobiography may have also been interesting, but Abbott said he didn’t think such a work on his life would have been “legally possible.” Instead, he turned to fiction.

“I made sure I had a couple of drinks in me before I’d start taking pen to paper,” Abbott said.

He wrote in spiral notebooks, filling 12 to 13 of them over the course of several years. The second installment, “Street Warrior,” is expected to be released in January. “Cage Fighter” will conclude the trilogy, which is being published by Full Circle Press.

“There could be 10,000 pages of fights if I was going on my memory, but … every fight in the book has a purpose and a meaning and it’s written very metaphorically,” Abbott said. “Everything has a purpose. It’s not just like a biography where someone says, ‘Oh, I was wrestling in high school and then I went to college and I dropped out because my girlfriend wouldn’t write papers anymore,’ that kind of stuff. … It’s not one of those things. It’s kind of like ‘Old Man and the Sea.’ It’s about finding your meaning in life and being lucky enough to live it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:32:10).

From Around the Web

UFC on FOX 15 fight card: What's at stake?

I always try to write these 'What's at stake?' posts with an eye towards the larger picture of the stakes involved as much as I do the main card fights themselves. Truth be told, though, it's not cle read news >>

Griffin, Bonnar and the Night that Changed Everything

I’ve always had a theory that if Royce Gracie didn’t win the first UFC tournament in 1993, the sport would have never gained any traction here in the United States. But it was the right man at the ri read news >>

Heading into Bellator Title Fight, Dave Jansen Sees It as Tank vs. Go-Kart

Dave Jansen is a tank in the cage, and he sees his tank rolling over Bellator champion Will Brooks' go-kart on Friday night. read news >>

Anderson Silva writes possible farewell message: 'Thank you all for everything'

Anderson Silva went on his Instagram to write a few words about being great and overcoming adversity. However, many pundits were led to believe he was really saying goodbye to the sport. Anderson Sil read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos on first fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov: ‘He didn’t hurt me’

RIO DE JANEIRO -- The last man to beat UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos, Khabib Nurmagomedov will earn a shot at the gold with a win over Donald Cerrone on May 23, but the Brazilian is aware read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63: Al Iaquinta vs. Jorge Masvidal fight video highlights

FAIFAX, Va. – It didn’t come easy for Al Iaquinta, and not everyone in the crowd agreed with the call, but he earned a split-decision win over Jorge Masvidal.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

With Gadelha out, Aisling Daly vs. Randa Markos official for UFC 186 in Montreal

As expected, Aisling Daly didn’t have to wait long to get a new fight after her previous fight fell through. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Lion Fight 21 video highlights: Best night of fights in AXS TV history?

Lion Fight returned on Friday and didn’t disappoint with highlight-reel stoppages and some brilliant performances – and the broadcast crew says it was the best night of fights in AXS TV history.Filed read news >>

Ali Abdel-Aziz discusses shady mismanagement of foreign fighters: Don't let the managers write you a check

WSOF promoter and Dominance MMA manager Ali Abdel-Aziz opens up about ‘scumbag’ managers in MMA stealing from foreign fighters. read news >>