Tank Abbott didn’t just write a novel. He wrote three.

The first work in the trilogy, “Bar Brawler,” is available now on Amazon.com as a paperback and as a Kindle download. It tells the story of Walter Foxx, a fictional character described as “Happening Beach, California’s most feared bar brawler.”

To fight fans, Foxx may sound a lot like Abbott himself. The character’s adventures may also echo many of Abbott’s.

“It’s up for you to figure out if it’s true or not, but if I was a betting man, it’s pretty close to being true,” Abbott told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “But I made things up and made people up and everything else, so it’s just a novel and people can make what they want of it.”

Abbott did acknowledge that he had plenty of real-life material to work from as a writer. He estimated that before debuting in the UFC with a violent knockout of John Matua in July 1995, he’d already had some 200 street fights.

“I can draw on some things and put them into stories, so to speak,” Abbott said.

Of course, an autobiography may have also been interesting, but Abbott said he didn’t think such a work on his life would have been “legally possible.” Instead, he turned to fiction.

“I made sure I had a couple of drinks in me before I’d start taking pen to paper,” Abbott said.

He wrote in spiral notebooks, filling 12 to 13 of them over the course of several years. The second installment, “Street Warrior,” is expected to be released in January. “Cage Fighter” will conclude the trilogy, which is being published by Full Circle Press.

“There could be 10,000 pages of fights if I was going on my memory, but … every fight in the book has a purpose and a meaning and it’s written very metaphorically,” Abbott said. “Everything has a purpose. It’s not just like a biography where someone says, ‘Oh, I was wrestling in high school and then I went to college and I dropped out because my girlfriend wouldn’t write papers anymore,’ that kind of stuff. … It’s not one of those things. It’s kind of like ‘Old Man and the Sea.’ It’s about finding your meaning in life and being lucky enough to live it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:32:10).

From Around the Web

With Gadelha out, Aisling Daly vs. Randa Markos official for UFC 186 in Montreal

• a day ago

As expected, Aisling Daly didn’t have to wait long to get a new fight after her previous fight fell through. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Lion Fight 21 video highlights: Best night of fights in AXS TV history?

Lion Fight returned on Friday and didn’t disappoint with highlight-reel stoppages and some brilliant performances – and the broadcast crew says it was the best night of fights in AXS TV history.Filed read news >>

Ali Abdel-Aziz discusses shady mismanagement of foreign fighters: Don't let the managers write you a check

WSOF promoter and Dominance MMA manager Ali Abdel-Aziz opens up about ‘scumbag’ managers in MMA stealing from foreign fighters. read news >>

Former coach questions Paige VanZant's morals, honesty and loyalty

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant's former coach Rick Collup took to Facebook to write a lengthy and rather bitter post about his former student. Wether it's ex-friends or ex-coaches, exes can make for b read news >>

Ben Fodor chose WSOF because ‘they didn’t want me to stop being Phoenix Jones’

As a masked crusader for the last several years, Phoenix Jones has become a real life crime fighting superhero in his native Washington. He’s known as the Guardian of Seattle, a vigilante who combs t read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: No one believed in me, but I always believed in myself

DALLAS – New UFC women’s strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk knows you didn’t believe she could defeat Carla Esparza. But that’s what made the win all the more special.Filed under: Featured Video read news >>

UFC signs Jungle Fight champ Elizeu Zaleski as ‘plan B’ for Erick Silva vs. Josh Koscheck

The UFC didn’t officially announce Josh Koscheck as Erick Silva’s new opponent at UFC Fight Night 62, and there’s a reason for that. Koscheck, who agreed to step in on short notice and replace injure read news >>

Champ Carla Esparza: I hope Joanna Jedrzejczyk thinks I'm scared

UFC women’s strawweight camp Carla Esparza told MMAjunkie she didn’t need to go online to hear what her upcoming opponent was saying about her – she got it firsthand.Filed under: Featured Videos, New read news >>

New Bellator champ Liam McGeary: Shocked to get belt, Tito 'living in dreamworld'

Liam McGeary didn’t look as happy as one might expect after winning the Bellator light heavyweight title.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>