Tank Abbott’s Novel ‘Bar Brawler’ First in Trilogy

Tank Abbott didn’t just write a novel. He wrote three.

The first work in the trilogy, “Bar Brawler,” is available now on Amazon.com as a paperback and as a Kindle download. It tells the story of Walter Foxx, a fictional character described as “Happening Beach, California’s most feared bar brawler.”

To fight fans, Foxx may sound a lot like Abbott himself. The character’s adventures may also echo many of Abbott’s.

“It’s up for you to figure out if it’s true or not, but if I was a betting man, it’s pretty close to being true,” Abbott told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “But I made things up and made people up and everything else, so it’s just a novel and people can make what they want of it.”

Abbott did acknowledge that he had plenty of real-life material to work from as a writer. He estimated that before debuting in the UFC with a violent knockout of John Matua in July 1995, he’d already had some 200 street fights.

“I can draw on some things and put them into stories, so to speak,” Abbott said.

Of course, an autobiography may have also been interesting, but Abbott said he didn’t think such a work on his life would have been “legally possible.” Instead, he turned to fiction.

“I made sure I had a couple of drinks in me before I’d start taking pen to paper,” Abbott said.

He wrote in spiral notebooks, filling 12 to 13 of them over the course of several years. The second installment, “Street Warrior,” is expected to be released in January. “Cage Fighter” will conclude the trilogy, which is being published by Full Circle Press.

“There could be 10,000 pages of fights if I was going on my memory, but … every fight in the book has a purpose and a meaning and it’s written very metaphorically,” Abbott said. “Everything has a purpose. It’s not just like a biography where someone says, ‘Oh, I was wrestling in high school and then I went to college and I dropped out because my girlfriend wouldn’t write papers anymore,’ that kind of stuff. … It’s not one of those things. It’s kind of like ‘Old Man and the Sea.’ It’s about finding your meaning in life and being lucky enough to live it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:32:10).

The best heavyweight prospect on the market, bar none, comes to the UFC. As I write these words, I can hardly believe it, really and truly. The UFC has apparently signed Konstantin Erokhin. If you're read news >>

The 185-pound shark tank may be losing one of its threshers. Perhaps for good. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight Tim Kennedy is going under the knife to repair a partially torn menisc read news >>

Watch the third fight from the epic trilogy between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard from UFC 136 in its entirety. read news >>

One of this weekend’s biggest winners was Long Island’s Al Iaquinta, who went to Sydney, Australia for UFC Fight Night 55 and TKO’d betting favorite Ross Pearson in the co-main event. For Iaquinta, i read news >>

Bellator interim lightweight champ Will Brooks knew that he would likely have to rematch Michael Chandler, but he doesn't want to warrant a third fight. read news >>

UFC middleweight Caio Magalhaes discusses his rapid victory on the UFC Fight Night: Uberlandia prelims. Caio Magalhaes sees nothing controversial in his 31-second stoppage on Saturday night in Uberla read news >>

Ovince St. Preux wasn't exactly ready to write off his 34-second knockout to Shogun Rua losing a step, and neither was Shogun. read news >>

Juliana Lima didn’t officially make weight for her UFC debut, but when she was given the customary additional time to reach the 116-pound limit, she said it simply made matters worse.Filed under: New read news >>

UBERLANDIA, Brazil -- Warlley Alves is considered the best fighter to win a The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil season, but Alan Jouban had to check him online when UFC offered him a fight against the undef read news >>

Jump to: