Tank Abbott’s Novel ‘Bar Brawler’ First in Trilogy

Tank Abbott didn’t just write a novel. He wrote three.

The first work in the trilogy, “Bar Brawler,” is available now on Amazon.com as a paperback and as a Kindle download. It tells the story of Walter Foxx, a fictional character described as “Happening Beach, California’s most feared bar brawler.”

To fight fans, Foxx may sound a lot like Abbott himself. The character’s adventures may also echo many of Abbott’s.

“It’s up for you to figure out if it’s true or not, but if I was a betting man, it’s pretty close to being true,” Abbott told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “But I made things up and made people up and everything else, so it’s just a novel and people can make what they want of it.”

Abbott did acknowledge that he had plenty of real-life material to work from as a writer. He estimated that before debuting in the UFC with a violent knockout of John Matua in July 1995, he’d already had some 200 street fights.

“I can draw on some things and put them into stories, so to speak,” Abbott said.

Of course, an autobiography may have also been interesting, but Abbott said he didn’t think such a work on his life would have been “legally possible.” Instead, he turned to fiction.

“I made sure I had a couple of drinks in me before I’d start taking pen to paper,” Abbott said.

He wrote in spiral notebooks, filling 12 to 13 of them over the course of several years. The second installment, “Street Warrior,” is expected to be released in January. “Cage Fighter” will conclude the trilogy, which is being published by Full Circle Press.

“There could be 10,000 pages of fights if I was going on my memory, but … every fight in the book has a purpose and a meaning and it’s written very metaphorically,” Abbott said. “Everything has a purpose. It’s not just like a biography where someone says, ‘Oh, I was wrestling in high school and then I went to college and I dropped out because my girlfriend wouldn’t write papers anymore,’ that kind of stuff. … It’s not one of those things. It’s kind of like ‘Old Man and the Sea.’ It’s about finding your meaning in life and being lucky enough to live it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:32:10).

Cung Le’s fractured relationship with the Ultimate Fighting Championship may be beyond repair. read news >>

Middleweight champion Chris Weidman discusses the pros and cons of the UFC’s new uniform sponsorship deal with Reebok. read news >>

Earlier this year, Brazilian brawler Fabio Maldonado stepped up to help save the main event of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale. His reward was a Stipe Miocic beatdown.Filed under: News, UFC, Vid read news >>

If anyone in the fight game earned a vacation in 2014, it’s probably Raquel Pennington. No, she didn’t put in the type of year Neil Magny or Donald Cerrone did in terms of volume... read news >>

Bobby Green didn’t really enjoy his Thanksgiving. Sure, the time with family was great, but Green is still steaming after a unanimous-decision loss to Edson Barboza and isn’t certain whether or not h read news >>

Gilbert Burns’ return to the jiu-jitsu mats didn’t go as he expected. Fresh off a first-round submission victory over Christos Giagos at UFC 179, the Brazilian lightweight returned to Copa Podio on S read news >>

AUSTIN, Texas – Yves Edwards didn’t seem to see the right hand from Akbarh Arreola that floored him early, but he got a good look at the armbar that finished him moments later.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Luke Barnatt knew he beat Sean Strickland. The May bout in Berlin didn’t mark the best performance turned in by “The Bigslow,” but everyone has those days. read news >>

Before he throws down with Cub Swanson on Saturday, check out the classic trilogy fight Frankie Edgar put on against Gray Maynard at UFC 136.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jump to: