During a Las Vegas media tour for his newly announced headliner with fellow bantamweight Scott Jorgensen at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, Urijah Faber stopped by the MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) discuss a variety of topics, including his alternative approach to medicine.

Faber (27-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC), a former WEC champion and recent UFC title challenger, has often spoken openly about his unique childhood. Growing up in something akin to a Christian commune, he and his family favored raw foods and a different approach to medicine.

The 33-year-old fighter, who meets friend and occasional training partner Jorgensen (14-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) on April in an FX-televised main event at Las Vegas’ Mandalay Bay Events Center, said he hasn’t changed much since then.

“I have never taken an aspirin or a Tylenol or anything like that,” he said. “When I had my hand surgery (in 2009), they put me out, and I think I had something there. But it’s very, very far and few between. I’ve never had immunization shots, and I rarely use conventional medicine.”

With nearly a decade in the sport and 33 professional bouts, Faber has mixed five-round fights into the usual three-rounders. He’s faced vicious strikers such as Jose Aldo, grappled with ground specialists such as Raphael Assuncao and Brian Bowles, and traded punches with strikers such as Dominick Cruz and Eddie Wineland. Mix in frequent and grueling training sessions with his Team Alpha Male teammates, and Faber said he’s become intimately familiar with his body’s recovery process.

“I’m like a firm believer that if you have an ailment, there’s a reason why,” he said. “You don’t treat the symptoms; you treat the ailment.

“If I have a headache, I don’t want to cover that up and all the sudden not have a headache but for some reason my body wants me to have one to let me know to get some sleep or don’t hit your head again or you’re dehydrated. I feel like everything is a cue that you need to take of in a different fashion.”

With a nickname like “The California Kid,” Faber knows many fans are curious about his stance on marijuana, especially in pro sports. While fighters have failed drug tests and gotten their UFC walking papers for using a drug that seemingly adds little to no benefit to a training camp, Faber isn’t a supporter.

It’s natural and safer than most drugs, but Faber said he didn’t use it. Still, he said he’s got no problem if his opponents want to.

“I don’t really mind it,” he said. “I don’t think it’s a performance-enhancing thing, and for that reason, if my opponent wants to smoke a bunch of weed, that’s great for me. I don’t think it helps at all. Go ahead, guys.

“I don’t really do it myself. … I’m not like a pothead or anything. That’s probably the one part of ‘The California Kid’ nickname that can get misinterpreted. I’m not really a big advocate for it.”

For more on The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Julianna Pena cleared to resume UFC career following assault allegations

The UFC today announced it has completed an investigation into allegations of assault by women’s bantamweight Julianna Pena and reinstated “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner, freeing her to resume her read news >>

'TUF 24' tryouts slated for April 25; season champ gets flyweight title shot at finale

“The Ultimate Fighter 24” will feature male flyweight fighters, and the show’s tournament winner will earn a title shot at the show’s live finale.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Yoel Romero Accepts 6-Month Sanction for Using Contaminated Supplement

USADA announced on Monday that Yoel Romero has accepted a 6-month sanction for an anti-doping policy violation stemming from a contaminated supplement. read news >>

UFC 197 headliner Jon Jones pleads not guilty to drag racing charges in New Mexico

Jon Jones is fighting a quintet of traffic citations that triggered a brief jail stint this past week, but they won’t get in the way of his interim title fight at UFC 197. Jones has plead not guilty read news >>

Rampage Jackson Returns to Bellator vs. Satoshi Ishii in Dynamite 2 Headliner

After a year out of action, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson returns to Bellator to headline the promotion's second hybrid event, Dynamite 2. read news >>

Video: Watch UFC Fight Night 86 headliner Ben Rothwell quickly tap Matt Mitrione

Before Ben Rothwell goes after his fifth straight win and fifth straight heavyweight finish in the UFC Fight Night 86 main event on Sunday in Croatia, check out how he stopped Matt Mitrione this past read news >>

Dada 5000 claims he suffered 2 heart attacks during Bellator 149 headliner vs. Kimbo Slice

The medical troubles suffered by Dhafir “Dada 5000” Harris in the wake of Bellator 149’s headliner were apparently even worse than previously reported.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Thinks Justin Bieber Could Do MMA

Urijah Faber is heading into a fight of his own, but he believes entertainer Justin Bieber could also be a fighter. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 co-headliner Gabriel Gonzaga wasn’t too worried about losing his job

All appearances to the contrary, longtime UFC heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga said he didn’t fight to avoid losing his job in his last outing. He had more immediate concerns.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments, Reaction

Miesha Tate's first title defense won't come against Holly Holm. It won't come against Ronda Rousey. Instead, the UFC women's bantamweight champion will take on fourth-ranked competitor Amanda Nunes read news >>