During a Las Vegas media tour for his newly announced headliner with fellow bantamweight Scott Jorgensen at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, Urijah Faber stopped by the MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) discuss a variety of topics, including his alternative approach to medicine.

Faber (27-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC), a former WEC champion and recent UFC title challenger, has often spoken openly about his unique childhood. Growing up in something akin to a Christian commune, he and his family favored raw foods and a different approach to medicine.

The 33-year-old fighter, who meets friend and occasional training partner Jorgensen (14-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) on April in an FX-televised main event at Las Vegas’ Mandalay Bay Events Center, said he hasn’t changed much since then.

“I have never taken an aspirin or a Tylenol or anything like that,” he said. “When I had my hand surgery (in 2009), they put me out, and I think I had something there. But it’s very, very far and few between. I’ve never had immunization shots, and I rarely use conventional medicine.”

With nearly a decade in the sport and 33 professional bouts, Faber has mixed five-round fights into the usual three-rounders. He’s faced vicious strikers such as Jose Aldo, grappled with ground specialists such as Raphael Assuncao and Brian Bowles, and traded punches with strikers such as Dominick Cruz and Eddie Wineland. Mix in frequent and grueling training sessions with his Team Alpha Male teammates, and Faber said he’s become intimately familiar with his body’s recovery process.

“I’m like a firm believer that if you have an ailment, there’s a reason why,” he said. “You don’t treat the symptoms; you treat the ailment.

“If I have a headache, I don’t want to cover that up and all the sudden not have a headache but for some reason my body wants me to have one to let me know to get some sleep or don’t hit your head again or you’re dehydrated. I feel like everything is a cue that you need to take of in a different fashion.”

With a nickname like “The California Kid,” Faber knows many fans are curious about his stance on marijuana, especially in pro sports. While fighters have failed drug tests and gotten their UFC walking papers for using a drug that seemingly adds little to no benefit to a training camp, Faber isn’t a supporter.

It’s natural and safer than most drugs, but Faber said he didn’t use it. Still, he said he’s got no problem if his opponents want to.

“I don’t really mind it,” he said. “I don’t think it’s a performance-enhancing thing, and for that reason, if my opponent wants to smoke a bunch of weed, that’s great for me. I don’t think it helps at all. Go ahead, guys.

“I don’t really do it myself. … I’m not like a pothead or anything. That’s probably the one part of ‘The California Kid’ nickname that can get misinterpreted. I’m not really a big advocate for it.”

For more on The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Legacy FC 60 Results and Highlights: Brian Heden Retires Tyler East | MMAWeekly.com

Legacy FC 60 headliner Tyler East announced his retirement from MMA after rival Brian Heden knocked him out. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Albany Headliner Named, Several Other Bouts Announced | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC is going heavy for its quick New York turnaround with two heavyweight bouts taking the top slots at a UFC Fight Night in Albany. read news >>

Former WWE Champion Alberto Rodriguez Joins Combate Americas as President | MMAWeekly.com

Combate Americas recently announced that it has named former WWE champion and former MMA star Alberto Rodriguez as its president. read news >>

Bellator 162 headliner Kendall Grove loving life, not worrying about future title shots

If Kendall Grove wasn’t so busy loving life, he might have time to sit around and wonder if a Bellator title shot might be in his future. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

'TUF 24' prospect Matt Schnell wasn't keen on taking another reality TV road to the UFC

Matt Schnell had been down the reality TV road before. It wasn’t something that was on the top of his list for things to do again, necessarily.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Derrick Lewis takes shot at unheralded opponent, promises serious approach to UFC Fight Night 102 headliner

Many were surprised when the UFC announced Derrick Lewis vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov as the heavyweight main event of UFC Fight Night 102, which streams on UFC Fight Pass on Dec. 9 at Time Union Center i read news >>

Henry Cejudo has many of his 'TUF 24' team members training at his gym

Henry Cejudo no doubt entered his stint as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 24 uncertain of how the experience would impact him.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Announces He Has Left UFC: Latest Comments, Reaction

Georges St-Pierre announced on Monday's The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani that he is no longer with UFC, per the show's producer, Eric Jackman. Jackman noted the fighter is a free agent after his lawye read news >>

Former UFC champ Georges St-Pierre: 'I am a free agent'

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre announced he is a free agent.On Monday, during an appearance on The MMA Hour, former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre announcedhe is no l read news >>

UFC Sacramento: Colby Covington Takes On Bryan Barberena

UFC Sacramento will feature the "Prospect Killer" Bryan Barberena taking on talented wrestler Colby Covington.The UFC officially announced the addition on their website.Out of the four figh read news >>