travis-browne-16.jpgLAS VEGAS – Travis Browne is back in the win column after a hamstring injury contributed to his first career loss, but the heavyweight quickly found himself answering questions more about the method of his recent victory than about what it does for his contender status.

In a main-card bout at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale on Saturday, Browne (14-1-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) fought off a takedown and then knocked out veteran Gabriel Gonzaga (14-7 MMA, 9-6 UFC), who clung to his hips, with a series of elbow strikes.

At least the first two blows landed cleanly to the side of the head, but anywhere from one to three appeared to clip the dazed fighter illegally to the back of the head.

After the fight, which aired on FX from Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Browne said there was no ill intent.

“I remember hitting him with one, and the referee was right there,” Browne told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I could kind of see him standing off to the side, and he didn’t say anything. I hit him with two more, and by that time he was done.

“I just kind of stopped. I didn’t feel him fighting anymore. I try to be respectful in the cage, and if I know somebody can’t defend themselves, I’m not going to take advantage of that.”

The victory, which came just 71 seconds into the fight, followed Browne’s early-fight attempt at a wheelhouse kick. Gonzaga immediately pounced to try to get the takedown, but Browne said there was a reason behind the kick. After tearing his hamstring in an October loss to Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva, Browne sat out of competition for half a year while recovering. So he wanted to show the heavyweight division he’s back at full health.

“I kind of wanted to go out there and show everybody my hamstring was just fine,” he said. “He was quick on that shot, and he got in as I was throwing my kick. It was part of my game plan.

“I saw when (Ben) Rothwell went southpaw with him, he was really confused, and a lot of stuff opened up on Gabriel Gonzaga when a righty went southpaw. I think that’s one of the reasons why he shot so early and just committed everything to it is because you confuse people when you start switching stances and you have different attacks from different angles.”

Prior to the Silva loss, which followed Browne’s 13-0-1 start to his career, “Hapa” was rising quickly in the heavyweight division. He had earned stoppage wins over the likes of Stefan Struve and Chad Griggs, and with the victory over Gonzaga, he now owns 10 knockouts in 14 career wins.

So what’s next?

“I think I’m starting to get some of the recognition that I may not have gotten before, and I think it’s due,” he said. “I’ve put in some of my time. What is this, like my sixth or seventh fight in the UFC? I’m coming off of one loss in my career.

“I think it’s time for me to start moving up and get those shots like Silva and some of the guys in the top 10. If that doesn’t put me in the top 10, I’m sure I’ll be there shortly.”

For complete coverage of The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Cannonier In for Injured Van Buren in Nashville

Following an injury suffered by TUF 19 finalist Matt Van Buren, the UFC debut of unbeaten light heavyweight Jonathan Wilson on August 8 in Nashville will now take place against Jared Cannonier. read news >>

TUF 17's Luke Barnatt implies that he's been released from the UFC

An Instagram message to his fans seems to spell out the end of Luke Barnatt's time in the UFC. Luke Barnatt's loss to Mark Munoz at UFC Fight Night in Manila appears to be the last UFC bout for both read news >>

'TUF 17' veteran Luke Barnatt announces release from UFC after three-fight skid

Luke Barnatt, the top pick on Season 17 of “The Ultimate Fighter” and winner of his first three UFC bouts, has been released from the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

WSOF 21's Smealinho Rama talks Blagoi Ivanov fight, knockout loss to Anthony Hamilton, TUF aversion and more

"The Prince" of WSOF's Heavyweight division will make his first title defense in Edmonton, Canada, tomorrow night (June 5, 2015) against a former hot Bellator prospect. And we get the full scoop befo read news >>

Beyond the Octagon: Former title challengers square off and UFC vets go 3-0

Kazuki Tokudome, TUF: Smashes representative Benny Alloway, and the briefly-signed heavyweight Richard Odoms all notched victories this weekend, plus former WSOF bantamweight title challengers Josh R read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 7

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s seventh episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TUF 21 American Top Team vs. Blackzilians: Episode 7 Recap and Results

Following its first victory of the season, American Top Team already dropped the ball last episode. On this episode of The Ultimate Fighter 21, it looks to regain home-gym advantage from the dominati read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 7

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 7 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>

Latest Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 Finale fight card and rumors for 'Ellenberger vs. Thompson' on July 12 in Las Vegas

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 Finale, which settles the final score between American Top Team (ATT) and Blackzilians, caps off International Fight Week on Sunday, July 12, 2015 inside MGM Grand Garde read news >>

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 7) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later tonight (Weds., June 3, 2015), featuring episode seven of the combat sports reality show, pitting American Top Team (ATT) against the neigh read news >>