Dominic WatersPerhaps one of the more unknown commodities heading into the current season of The Ultimate Fighter on FX, Dominic Waters has begun making a name for himself by the way he handles his business both in and out of the Octagon.

Perhaps more surprised than anyone of how he’s been able to stand out is Waters himself.

“I was really hyped up because I got out of the Marine Corps about eight months before I got the call to go,” said Waters. “It’s such a big opportunity. I know I really haven’t proven myself or anything and still have a long way to go, but I was really hyped and couldn’t wait to get in the gym and start training.”

Still, Waters felt that he would make his way to the UFC, either via the show or by making it the old fashioned way.

“I look at it like I could have taken the long route or this route, it doesn’t matter because I’m going to get there eventually,” Waters told MMAWeekly.com.

Waters’ impact on the show was felt immediately when he KO’d fellow hopeful Kevin Nowaczyk just 32 seconds into their preliminary bout.

“That’s how I go into every fight,” said Waters. “I just want to get in there and show them that I have my skills ready to go because I train hard and I try to finish fights fast.”

Waters’ explosiveness immediately garnished the attention of coach Roy Nelson, who made him the first pick on their team.

“It just gave me so much extra motivation and everything,” said Waters. “I got in there. It’s not hard to train or anything. I’m the number one pick and everyone expects me to do good, and I expect to do good.”

Waters feels his portrayal on the show so far has accurately reflected him and how he intended to carry himself during its duration.

“I think it’s a good representation of who I am,” he said. “I wasn’t really into the pranks or anything and didn’t want to make an ass of myself on national TV. I stayed calm and I focused on what I was there for instead of just trying to get TV time like some of the guys.”

Waters says he has taken a lot from the experience, regardless of the results of the season, and that it’s made him a better fighter than before.

“I like Pat Berry and Duane Ludwig’s view of fighting,” sad Waters. “Just go in there, fight hard, don’t leave it in the judges’ hands, and go in there and give it your all basically.

“I went there wanting to win the show, obviously, but more than anything, I just wanted to make me a better fighter. Since I’ve been home, I’ve just seen myself evolve more than anything.”

The Ultimate Fighter airs at 10 p.m. ET/PT every Friday on FX.

From Around the Web

Beyond the Octagon: TUF 16 winner rebounds, UFC vets turn in mixed results

TUF 16 winner Colton Smith returns to competition for the first time since his UFC release, plus UFC vets Jeff Monson, David Mitchell, Keita Nakamura, and Anthony Smith, among others, take to the rin read news >>

Does TUF have a future UFC champ? Meet the TUF 21: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians cast

A brief look at the cast of the upcoming season of the Ultimate Fighter, and the potential favorites to win the whole thing. So, another season of TUF is coming. And like some other recent seasons (w read news >>

TUF: Brazil veterans set to collide at UFC Fight Night 68 in New Orleans

A pair of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil veterans will meet inside the Octagon in June. Daniel Sarafian and Ricardo Abreu, who competed in the Brazilian version of the reality show in 2012 and 2014, re read news >>

ONE Championship CEO: Goal is to put on 50 shows per year

Thought the UFC's achievement of running more than 40 events per year was ambitious? ONE Championship plans on topping that figure. ONE CEO Victor Cui told MMAFighting.com this week that his organiza read news >>

TUF Brazil 4 cast: Full bantamweight, lightweight roster revealed for April 5 premiere

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) released the full cast for the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Brazil 4" (courtesy of MMA Fighting), which was taped in Las Vegas, Nevada, and air read news >>

Shogun and Big Nog Comment as TUF Brazil 4 Full Cast Revealed

The UFC on Wednesday revealed the full cast for The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4. Rodrigo Nogueira commented on taking Anderson Silva's coaching spot. read news >>

Better Than Ever, TUF 10 Alum Jon Madsen Hell Bent on UFC Return

Feeling better than ever, TUF 10 alum Jon Madsen believes an impressive win over Chase Gormley at Titan FC 33 could be his ticket to a UFC return. read news >>

TUF champ still sidelined indefinitely due to concussion woes

While TJ Grant has been the more notable fighter whose UFC career has been cut off at the knees by concussion symptoms, he's not the only fighter sitting on the sidelines with no date of return. It's read news >>

UFC 'stands behind' Anderson Silva but will be 'forthright' depicting 'TUF' removal

RIO DE JANEIRO – With “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4? set to debut on April 5, UFC officials have committed to depicting Anderson Silva’s removal from the show with “total candor and transparency.”F read news >>