Dominic WatersPerhaps one of the more unknown commodities heading into the current season of The Ultimate Fighter on FX, Dominic Waters has begun making a name for himself by the way he handles his business both in and out of the Octagon.

Perhaps more surprised than anyone of how he’s been able to stand out is Waters himself.

“I was really hyped up because I got out of the Marine Corps about eight months before I got the call to go,” said Waters. “It’s such a big opportunity. I know I really haven’t proven myself or anything and still have a long way to go, but I was really hyped and couldn’t wait to get in the gym and start training.”

Still, Waters felt that he would make his way to the UFC, either via the show or by making it the old fashioned way.

“I look at it like I could have taken the long route or this route, it doesn’t matter because I’m going to get there eventually,” Waters told MMAWeekly.com.

Waters’ impact on the show was felt immediately when he KO’d fellow hopeful Kevin Nowaczyk just 32 seconds into their preliminary bout.

“That’s how I go into every fight,” said Waters. “I just want to get in there and show them that I have my skills ready to go because I train hard and I try to finish fights fast.”

Waters’ explosiveness immediately garnished the attention of coach Roy Nelson, who made him the first pick on their team.

“It just gave me so much extra motivation and everything,” said Waters. “I got in there. It’s not hard to train or anything. I’m the number one pick and everyone expects me to do good, and I expect to do good.”

Waters feels his portrayal on the show so far has accurately reflected him and how he intended to carry himself during its duration.

“I think it’s a good representation of who I am,” he said. “I wasn’t really into the pranks or anything and didn’t want to make an ass of myself on national TV. I stayed calm and I focused on what I was there for instead of just trying to get TV time like some of the guys.”

Waters says he has taken a lot from the experience, regardless of the results of the season, and that it’s made him a better fighter than before.

“I like Pat Berry and Duane Ludwig’s view of fighting,” sad Waters. “Just go in there, fight hard, don’t leave it in the judges’ hands, and go in there and give it your all basically.

“I went there wanting to win the show, obviously, but more than anything, I just wanted to make me a better fighter. Since I’ve been home, I’ve just seen myself evolve more than anything.”

The Ultimate Fighter airs at 10 p.m. ET/PT every Friday on FX.

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 2

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 2 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. Y read news >>

UFC’s Best Offer Mayweather-Pacquaio Predictions

The best judges of fighting acumen often are those who step into that arena to compete. So who better to offer predictions for the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquaio welterweight Fight of the Century th read news >>

TUF 1 alum Jason Thacker, 'Strange Brew,' posts video thanking MMA community for its support

Jason Thacker, the tragic figure of TUF 1 who last month was profiled in a stunning piece by MMAFighting.com's Chuck Mindenhall, posted a video Wednesday thanking the MMA community for its support. " read news >>

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 2) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later tonight (Weds., April 29, 2015) featuring episode two of the combat sports reality show, pitting American Top Team (ATT) against Blackzilia read news >>

Beyond the Octagon, part 2: TUF runner-up Wang Sai, Marlon Sandro, Hiroyuki Takaya, and "Ninja" Roberts

In part 2 of this week's BtO, Marlon Sandro travels back to Japan to face prospect Isao Kobayashi, UFC vet Daniel Roberts looks to get back in the win column, and TUF: China runner-up Wang Sai embark read news >>

Steve Bosse drops to middleweight, meets Thiago Santos at TUF: Brazil 4 Finale

Steve Bosse will finally make his UFC debut in June. The Canadian fighter, who stepped in as a ‘plan B’ for Quinton Jackson vs. Fabio Maldonado at UFC 186, is now set to face Thiago Santos at The Ult read news >>

Steve Bosse vs. Thiago Santos added to TUF: Brazil Finale in Sao Paulo

Steve Bosse will make his UFC debut after all, and in hostile territory, as he takes on Thiago 'Marreta' Santos in Sao Paulo at the TUF: Brazil Finale. Just as he was promised, Steve Bosse got anothe read news >>

Beyond the Octagon, part 1: TUF runners-up square off, plus UFC vets Jason Brilz and Drew McFedries return

In part 1 of this week's BtO, TUF runners-up Andre Winner and Colin Fletcher throw down, Drew "The Massacre" McFedries returns to competition, plus action from Jason Brilz, Tony Lopez, and TUF 9 alum read news >>

TUF Brazil 4 Coach Profile - Minotauro Nogueira

After two stints coaching on The Ultimate Fighter, Brazilian MMA icon Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira probably thought that his days on reality television were over. But when fellow icon Anderso read news >>