Dominic WatersPerhaps one of the more unknown commodities heading into the current season of The Ultimate Fighter on FX, Dominic Waters has begun making a name for himself by the way he handles his business both in and out of the Octagon.

Perhaps more surprised than anyone of how he’s been able to stand out is Waters himself.

“I was really hyped up because I got out of the Marine Corps about eight months before I got the call to go,” said Waters. “It’s such a big opportunity. I know I really haven’t proven myself or anything and still have a long way to go, but I was really hyped and couldn’t wait to get in the gym and start training.”

Still, Waters felt that he would make his way to the UFC, either via the show or by making it the old fashioned way.

“I look at it like I could have taken the long route or this route, it doesn’t matter because I’m going to get there eventually,” Waters told MMAWeekly.com.

Waters’ impact on the show was felt immediately when he KO’d fellow hopeful Kevin Nowaczyk just 32 seconds into their preliminary bout.

“That’s how I go into every fight,” said Waters. “I just want to get in there and show them that I have my skills ready to go because I train hard and I try to finish fights fast.”

Waters’ explosiveness immediately garnished the attention of coach Roy Nelson, who made him the first pick on their team.

“It just gave me so much extra motivation and everything,” said Waters. “I got in there. It’s not hard to train or anything. I’m the number one pick and everyone expects me to do good, and I expect to do good.”

Waters feels his portrayal on the show so far has accurately reflected him and how he intended to carry himself during its duration.

“I think it’s a good representation of who I am,” he said. “I wasn’t really into the pranks or anything and didn’t want to make an ass of myself on national TV. I stayed calm and I focused on what I was there for instead of just trying to get TV time like some of the guys.”

Waters says he has taken a lot from the experience, regardless of the results of the season, and that it’s made him a better fighter than before.

“I like Pat Berry and Duane Ludwig’s view of fighting,” sad Waters. “Just go in there, fight hard, don’t leave it in the judges’ hands, and go in there and give it your all basically.

“I went there wanting to win the show, obviously, but more than anything, I just wanted to make me a better fighter. Since I’ve been home, I’ve just seen myself evolve more than anything.”

The Ultimate Fighter airs at 10 p.m. ET/PT every Friday on FX.

'TUF 19' middleweight finalist Dhiego Lima announces release from UFC roster

With three losses in his four official UFC fights, Dhiego Lima says he has been released from the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Marcio Alexandre Jr. out with rib injury, George Sullivan now meets Dominic Waters at TUF 21 Finale

George Sullivan has a new opponent for his upcoming UFC bout. With Marcio Alexandre Jr. out of the TUF 21 Finale card with an injury, Sullivan now faces promotional newcomer Dominic Waters. The match read news >>

Fans invited to this week's TUF 21 Finale, Invicta FC 13 media events

In addition to a slate of UFC 189 fight-week activities, fans are invited to some pre-fight events for Invicta FC 13 and The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale this week.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Marcio Alexandre Jr. out of TUF 21 Finale bout with George Sullivan

Welterweight Marcio Alexandre Jr. has been forced out of his bout with George Sullivan at The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 11

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s 11th episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TUF 21 American Top Team vs. Blackzilians: Episode 11 Recap and Results

With two fights remaining in the season and the American Top Team on the brink of elimination, could the Blackzilians finally clinch the season? Or, would ATT be able to tie things up going into the read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 11

Tonight, live coverage of episode 11 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. Tonight, episode ten of read news >>

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 11) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

It's all about that momentum... The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later night (Weds., July 1, 2015) at 10 p.m. ET, featuring episode 11 of the combat sports reality show, pitting read news >>

TUF 19 runner-up Dhiego Lima announces his UFC release

In a published message on Facebook, TUF 19 middleweight runner-up announced his release from the UFC and his intentions to take the rest of 2015 off. Welterweight Dhiego Lima came up just short of wi read news >>

This is Cezar Ferreira's spine, and he says it's now fine for TUF 21 Finale

See that picture? The one with a spine and eight screws attached to it? That belongs to Cezar Ferreira, and he’s confident it won’t be a problem at The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale.Filed under: News, U read news >>