TUF 13: There’s No Crying in MMA; Anthony Pettis Willing To Earn Title Shot

• submit to reddit

There’s no crying in MMA.

Yeah, that saying is slightly amended from the classic 1992 sports film “A League of Their Own” in which manager Jimmy Dugan chastises a female baseball player, which results in her crying. Dugan (portrayed by Tom Hanks) then screams to the top of his lungs “there’s no crying in baseball!”

Former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis tends to agree with that movie because even though his promised title shot at the UFC lightweight belt has gone by the wayside, he’s not crying over spilt milk. Far from it actually.

Following his win over Ben Henderson at WEC 53 last December, Pettis was supposed to face the winner in the fight between UFC champion Frankie Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard. What resulted in their fight at UFC 125 was a draw, and then the pair were scheduled for a rematch on Memorial Day weekend, but that got scratched because both fighters got injured.

In the meantime, Pettis booked a fight against perennial top lightweight Clay Guida, and now UFC President Dana White has said because of timing it’s likely that the Milwaukee based fighter will end up competing at least one more time before he’d get a title shot.

Pettis isn’t mad. He’s not even a little bit upset.

“I don’t mind; tell Dana not to feel bad. I don’t really care,” Pettis told MMAWeekly Radio. “I’ll take another fight, I’ll take two fights if I have to, I really don’t mind. For me, it’s just I’m in the UFC, I’m young, and I’ve got a lot of talent so the sky is the limit. I’m going to get my title shot whether it’s this year or next year. I’m going to earn it.”

Earning it is something a great many UFC lightweights have questioned about Pettis getting a title shot in the first place. A list of names almost as long as the entire division have voiced their displeasure in Pettis getting a title shot offered to him before ever stepping foot in the Octagon.

Whether it was jealousy or not, Pettis isn’t sure why everyone was so upset at him for getting a title shot, but he’s happy to prove to each and every one of them why he should be considered a top contender.

“I’m like the most popular UFC fighter that ain’t fought in the UFC yet. I think for sure got some people envious and jealous of my position, but I worked to get where I’m at. I paid a lot of dues in this sport, and it shows in the fights,” Pettis stated.

“If people don’t believe now, give me time. I had to make my WEC debut and look where I got in two years. I’m making my UFC debut, give me some time, and I guarantee I’m going to turn all the people who don’t believe into believers.”

The first challenge is facing Clay Guida at this weekend’s “Ultimate Fighter” finale in Las Vegas. Guida is no rollover, as gritty a fighter as the lightweight division has ever seen.

That’s exactly why Pettis asked the UFC to give him Guida for his debut fight.

“I actually asked for that fight,” Pettis revealed. “I asked for the Guida fight just because of his style and his level of popularity and where he’s at in his career right now. He’s one of the top lightweights, and I could have took an easier fighter or a guy that’s not top ten, but I’m like I’m going to go for it. This is definitely a big test ahead of me.”

Guida is known for his intensity inside and outside the cage whenever he fights, and that’s exactly the type of challenge Pettis wants for his first time in the Octagon. Guida also brings an A-level wrestling game to the table, and that’s another challenge the last ever WEC champion wants to deal with.

For his camp, Pettis worked his wrestling quite a bit and even trained with Bellator champion and former Olympian Ben Askren to prepare for Guida. He says if Guida believes he’s going to just outwrestle him en route to a decision win, he’s got another thing coming.

“You’re going to see the strongest and most skilled Anthony Pettis ever. My wrestling is ten times the level it was in the Ben Henderson fight, so if Clay thinks he’s going to come in there and take me down at will, he’s going to have a long night,” Pettis stated.

What Pettis wants people to most understand about him as he goes into his first fight in the UFC and beyond is that he’s willing to work for and earn everything he gets.

If someone feels he got handed a title shot too early, Pettis is willing to fight for it.

If someone thinks he’s just a highlight reel kick that made SportsCenter, Pettis is ready to prove he’s not a one-trick pony.

“I don’t want to be remembered just for the kick. I have a long career ahead of me, and I think I’m going to have a lot more moments like that in my career.”

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

For Gilbert Melendez, the ultimate prize may be off in the distance, but he has never taken his mind off the UFC lightweight title. He will have his shot against Anthony Pettis at the UFC's 2014 year-end event in December. The UFC contender and former, longtime Strikeforce champion has been out of action since defeating Diego Sanchez in an instant classic at UFC 166 in October, but the motivation for the Skrap Pack representative's hiatus have been just. His next bout will be for the lightweight read news >>

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis talks about coaching TUF 20, his first title defense and his campaign to get on a Wheaties box. read news >>

Anthony Pettis will defend his UFC lightweight title December 6 against top contender Gilbert Melendez at UFC 181. The fight will be Pettis' first title defense. For that matter, it's the first bout of any kind for "Showtime" since he won the belt from Benson Henderson last August at UFC 164. Pettis himself broke the news Monday while a guest on The MMA Hour broadcast with host Ariel Helwani. "December 6 is going to be the date of my next fight; it'll be out here in Vegas," Pettis said. "I got w read news >>

Miller becomes the latest lightweight to voice his displeasure at the lack of title fights in the 155-pound weight class. Lorenzo Fertitta, you have Jim Miller on line one. Much has been made about the lack of title defenses in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight division due to fact that Anthony Pettis has been on the sidelines with a knee injury. After former division kingpin Ben Henderson voiced his displeasure with the lack of title defenses since he lost the title to "Showt read news >>

DUBLIN – The line between future star and overhyped can be thin. Irishman Conor McGregor is straddling that line as he prepares to headline his first UFC show in front of his home fans in Dublin. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

The MMA Hour is back in your life on Monday. Below is a rundown of who will be stopping by and when: 1:00 p.m. ET -- Dominick Cruz will discuss his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC 178 against Takeya Mizugaki. 1:25 p.m. -- Dustin Poirier will talk about his simmering feud with Conor McGregor, who beat Diego Brandao on Saturday. 1:45 p.m. -- Dennis Bermudez will preview his UFC on FOX 12 fight against Clay Guida. 2:05 p.m. -- Tom Egan, the first Irish fighter to compete in the UFC, will read news >>

Anthony Pettis will return to the octagon to defend his UFC lightweight title against Gilbert Melendez in December. Anthony Pettis will return to UFC action this December on what could be a massive card. The UFC lightweight champion announced on yesterday's edition of The MMA Hour that he will be facing Gilbert Melendez on December 6 in Las Vegas. That event, which appears as though it will be UFC 181, still doesn't have a venue set as of now. However, the December 6 date is also the event that read news >>

One thing is clear following last night's (Sat., July 26, 2014) UFC on Fox 12: "Lawler vs. Brown" event at the SAP Center in San Jose, California: Anthony Johnson hits really, really hard and if he puts his hands on you, you're probably going to end up like Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Looking up at the lights, needing assistance just to sit up on your stool (watch it happen here). Or you'll end up like Phil Davis, able to withstand a few of those heavy shots but badly battered, beaten, and bruised read news >>

MMA Fighting has TUF 19 Finale results for the Edgar vs. Penn 3 fight card July 6, plus live coverage from Las Vegas, live blogs of all the main card fights, and live TUF 19 Finale twitter updates.In the main event, former UFC champions Frankie Edgar and B.J. Penn will square off in a featherweight contest. Two TUF titles will also be up for grabs on the main card.Check out the TUF 19 Finale results below.Main card (FOX Sports 1 at 9 p.m ET)Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. PennCorey Anderson vs. Matt Van read news >>