‘Stun Gun,’ ‘Do Bronx’ Extend UFC Contracts


The UFC has reportedly retained the services of two of the promotion’s top prospects.

Welterweight “Stun Gun” Dong Hyun Kim (Pictured) and lightweight Charles “do Bronx” Oliveira each signed four-fight extensions with the company this week, according to reports from The Korea Times and Tatame.com.br, respectively.

Kim still had one bout remaining on his previous agreement, his agency, IB Sports, told the Korea Times, but the UFC “offered to extend his contract with satisfactory conditions.”

The 29-year-old Kim defeated Nate Diaz in a hard-fought unanimous decision on Jan. 1, remaining unbeaten with his 14th career victory. Five of those wins have come inside the Octagon, including decisions over “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 7 winner Amir Sadollah and hard-nosed Canadian T.J. Grant.

A star in his native South Korea, Kim told Sherdog.com’s John Evans last month that, despite his lack of finishes in the UFC, he hopes to garner more highlight-reel footage soon.

“In Deep, I usually finished fights by knockout, but in the UFC, the fighters are much better,” Kim said. “It’s not that the UFC puts pressure on me to finish fights. I put pressure on myself.”

Fiery Brazilian wunderkind Oliveira, meanwhile, recently tasted defeat for the first time. At December’s UFC 124, the 21-year-old was submitted by the surging Jim Miller via first-round kneebar.

Oliveira had reeled off 14 straight wins -- all but one via stoppage -- to begin his career. He made waves in his August UFC debut by armbarring Darren Elkins in under a minute, and continued to raise his stock when he took out “TUF 8” winner Efrain Escudero with a third-round rear-naked choke submission one month later.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 1 views

Established top 10 light heavyweights Phil Davis and Ryan Bader are set to battle at UFC on Fox 14 in Stockholm, Sweden in January. Tickets went on sale for UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson today, read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 16 views

Top UFC lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez gets a second chance at UFC gold when he faces champion Anthony Pettis in the UFC 181 main event. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 213 views

Four of the world’s top middleweight fighters are scheduled to compete at February’s UFC 184 event. If anyone’s unable to make the date, Luke Rockhold said he’ll be ready to fill the void.Filed under read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

Top UFC welterweight contender Robbie Lawler says he's going to be better than he's ever been for his UFC 181 rematch with champion Johny Hendricks. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 1111 views

Okay, now it's getting personal. Undefeated Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight contender Bethe Correia has her sights on a future title fight against reigning division queenpin read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 1 views

Top UFC welterweights, and American Top Team teammates, Tyron Woodley and Hector Lombard are still a long way from ever fighting each other. After a quick knockout over Chinese star Dong Hyun Kim in read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

Diego Nunes's finish of Joachim Hansen capped off another big weekend for UFC alumni, all of whom triumphed on the regional circuit. Because of a hasty, overconfident return to competition, a lack of read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

Talented lightweights Tony Ferguson and Abel Trujillo look to break into the top 15 this Saturday (Dec. 6, 2014) at UFC 181 inside the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. In a match up o read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

Brother to the UFC lightweight champion, Sergio Pettis didn't immediately rise to the top in his own division. However, at 21 years old, he has the potential to be a contender at 135 pounds. On Satur read news >>

Jump to: