glover-teixeira-14.jpgRIO DE JANEIRO – If Glover Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) plays his cards right, his next fight may earn him a shot at the UFC’s light heavyweight title.

UFC exec Marshall Zelaznik revealed at Saturday night’s post-UFC 163 press conference in Rio de Janeiro that UFC President Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva told him an impressive win by Teixeira in his upcoming bout with Ryan Bader (15-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) could earn him a crack at the belt.

“Dana and Joe have confirmed with a strong victory by Glover that he probably gets the winner of the Jon Jones fight,” Zelaznik said.

Teixeira and Bader meet in the headlining bout of next month’s UFC Fight Night 28 event, which takes place Sept. 4 at Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. The evening’s main card airs on FOX Sports 1 following prelims that stream on Facebook.

The matchup was official announced in June, but Zelaznik’s revelation adds a touch more intrigue. The two were originally expected to meet in May at UFC 160 before Bader suffered an injury in training that knocked him off the card. He was replaced by James Te Huna, who was submitted by Teixeira in the first round.

Bader has won three of his past four fights after suffering the first two losses of his career to Jones, which got Jones a shot at the light heavyweight title he won and has yet to relinquish, and an upset setback to Tito Ortiz. Since then, he has stopped Jason Brilz, outpointed Quinton Jackson and submitted Vladimir Matyushenko in just 50 seconds in January. His lone loss in his past four fights was a second-round knockout this past August against Lyoto Machida.

Teixeira has a 19-fight win streak and is unbeaten in the UFC. His win over Te Huna was a “Submission of the Night” winner, and he has stoppages over Kyle Kingsbury and Fabio Maldonado, as well as a decision win over “Rampage” Jackson in January.

Jones, of course, is set to defend his belt agains Alexander Gustafsson at September’s UFC 165 event, which takes place less than three weeks after Teixeira vs. Bader. Much could happen between now and then, but the winner of the UFC 165 fight may have his next opponent already booked.

“Glover’s got an opportunity to go for that belt with a big win, so we’re expecting big things in Belo Horizonte,” Zelaznik said.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 28, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Glover Teixeira)

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Anthony Johnson Reportedly out of July 23 Fight vs. Glover Teixeira

  • 8 days ago
  • 119 views

UFC star Anthony Johnson has reportedly been forced to withdraw from his July 23 matchup against Glover Teixeira. Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com reported Johnson's withdrawal. Damon Martin of Fox S read news >>

UFC 200 Is Can't-Miss, but It's Still Missing Conor McGregor

  • 3 days ago
  • 74 views

UFC 200 is one of the most stacked fight cards in the history of the promotion. On paper, it seems like a lock to break the coveted ceiling of one million pay-per-view buys, making it a resounding su read news >>

Johnson-Teixeira Off Chicago Card

  • 3 days ago
  • 0 views

The July 23 co-main event bout between light heavyweight contenders Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira has been postponed, as Johnson has been forced to withdraw in order to tend to a serious read news >>

Countdown to UFC 200: The Showstoppers

  • a day ago
  • 23 views

With three cards stacked from top to bottom over three consecutive nights in July, the 2016 edition of UFC International Fight Week is on track to be the biggest and best ever. These are the fighters read news >>