Bobby Voelker (24-8 MMA, 0-0 UFC) said he isn’t being treated differently now that the name of his official promoter changed from Strikeforce to the UFC. But that’s probably because he hasn’t paid much attention.

Bigger things are on his mind – namely, fighting Patrick Cote (18-8 MMA, 5-7 UFC) at UFC 158 and showing well after a 20-month layoff.

“Afterwards, I’ll pay attention, but right now, it’s the biggest fight of my life,” he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

UFC 158 takes place Saturday at Montreal’s Bell Centre. Voelker and Cote meet on the final FX-televised preliminary-card bout prior to the pay-per-view main-card.

Voelker appeared to be MIA following the conclusion of a trilogy with now-UFC welterweight Roger Bowling under the Strikeforce banner. But in reality, he tore his ACL in preparation for his next fight, and spent a year on the sidelines.

“I listened to my doctor,” he said. “Most fighters are pretty stubborn guys; I’m a stubborn guy. But everyone told me, ‘Listen to your doctor and listen to your physical therapist. Do everything they tell you to do.’ And I really did.”

Now, Voelker said his hurt knee feels better than his good one.

“This definitely has to be my run,” he said. “I have to beat Cote and continue to get another three, four and five wins after that just to get up to that title shot that everyone wants to be at. I have to perform to the best of my ability every fight.”

Voelker was best known for a trio of fights with Bowling. The two headlined a pair of Strikeforce Challengers events, with Voelker earning second-round TKO stoppages in the latter two. Bowling is expected to make his octagon debut next month at UFC on FOX 7.

“Roger’s a great guy, and it was a nice little trilogy we had there, but it’s nice to get a different opponent, and an opponent on such a high level,” Voelker said.

In his time with Strikeforce, Voelker went 4-1 in the promotion’s Challengers series. And while he’s unhappy that he spent the tail end of his tenure in recovery, he takes a positive attitude about that part of his career.

“I always make the best out of everything,” he said. “I’m grateful for the time I spent there. Strikeforce gave me a nice name to head into the UFC. You can’t replace that for everything. Would I have liked to have done more in Strikeforce? Of course I would have. It just didn’t happen. Obviously, that wasn’t my time. Now is my time.”

Cote, he said, is the perfect start to what he hopes is an uninterrupted career in the UFC. The French Canadian makes his welterweight debut with the fight.

“It’s right on my level,” Voelker said. “He likes to stand and punch it out, and that’s what I like to do. If we’ve got to mix it up with some wrestling or jiu-jitsu, that’s great. This is definitely the splash I have to make, and Cote is the perfect name for it.”

For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

Legit, or troll job? UFC champ Conor McGregor says he has 'decided to retire young'

We’re far enough past April Fool’s Day, so that’s out. But today, UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor either made one of the most shocking retirement announcements in sports history, or he trol read news >>

Bellator fighters talk promotion's push to expand internationally

TURIN, Italy – Bellator held their first international event this past weekend when Bellator 152 took place at Pala Alpitour in Turin, Italy. Days later, they announced Bellator 158, which takes plac read news >>

Jon Jones Questions Daniel Cormier Injury (UFC 197 Video)

Jon Jones expressed his doubt about the legitimacy of Daniel Cormier's injury at the UFC 197 Media Day in Las Vegas. read news >>

Jon Jones Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Shin and Return

UFC star Jon Jones is dealing with a bruised shin after defeating Ovince Saint Preux by unanimous decision to capture the interim 205-pound title belt at UFC 197 on Saturday. Continue for updates. Jo read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Arm and Recovery

Ovince Saint Preux had a golden opportunity at UFC 197, but he failed to capitalize and left the Octagon at a price. Continue for updates. Saint Preux Breaks Arm Saturday, April 23 UFC President Dana read news >>

'Pitbull' Freire says Bellator 153 win earned him title shot; will he wait for champ Straus?

Patricio Freire said an injury created a tougher fight than anticipated at Bellator 153. Nevertheless, he picked up the victory and expects a featherweight title shot as a result.Filed under: Bellato read news >>

Jon Jones Injury Update: UFC Star Reportedly May Face 6-Month Medical Suspension

MMA fighter Jon Jones is reportedly facing a possible six-month medical suspension and needs an X-ray on his left foot. According to MMAFighting.com, Jones was one of 10 fighters who received potenti read news >>

Junior dos Santos Sidelined Following Surgery

Junior dos Santos suffered a shoulder injury in his fight with Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night 86 in early April. read news >>

UFC 198 Free Fight: Cris Cyborg Topples Gina Carano

Cris "Cyborg" Justino won the first ever Strikeforce women's featherweight championship in convincing fashion by taking out Gina Carano back in 2009. read news >>