Strikeforce Working “Really Hard” to Make Fedor vs. Hendo Happen


It’s a fight that everybody wants to see.

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Dan Henderson, which has been heavily rumored for the upcoming Strikeforce show in July, but it’s not a done deal just yet.

This according to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who says the promotion is in negotiations with Emelianenko’s camp at M-1 Global and Henderson’s management as well, but it’s not a foregone conclusion that the fight is just going to happen.

“That fight is not confirmed, it’s not by any means,” Coker said recently on MMAWeekly Radio. “I would say let’s be cautious on how we frame that up. If that’s the $25 million dollar question, I would say until it’s finished, it’s never done.

“You know how many things can possibly go wrong in trying to get that fight together. We’re doing our best, but the devil’s in the details. When you have a fight of that quality at that catchweight, it’s like I said, the details are always the challenges in that.”

Several sources close to the negotiations confirm that the sticking point is what weight the fight will take place at. Fedor Emelianenko’s side has proposed a catchweight fight around 220 pounds, while Henderson’s camp has simply asked for a heavyweight fight.

One thing that seems to be completely off the table is Emelianenko testing the waters at 205 pounds, at least for this fight. Henderson is currently Strikeforce’s light heavyweight champion.

Whether it’s a title fight or a catchweight bout or simply a heavyweight main event, Emelianenko vs. Henderson would surely draw both a huge live crowd and a sizeable viewing audience at home.

Coker agrees that it’s a fight everyone would get behind, and they are working hard to put it together.

“How could anybody not want to see that fight? You’ve got Dan who’s just going to bring it, and you’ve got Fedor who’s just going to bring it,” Coker said.

“I’m working really hard to try to make that happen.”

A few other bouts have also been rumored for the July Strikeforce card including a light heavyweight bout between former champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal and grappling guru Roger Gracie. Sources have indicated that the fight is likely to become official any time in the next few days.

As far as Emelianenko vs. Henderson, it looks like a fight that’s bound to happen, but nothing is ever finished until the ink is dry on the contracts.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 11 days ago
  • 39 views

Scott Coker went to Japan late last month in part because of one man: Fedor Emelianenko. The Bellator MMA president was in attendance at the Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye show in Tokyo on New Year's Eve knowing th read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 27 views

Which saves Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) the trouble of making a counteroffer. Bellator MMA President Scott Coker, who partnered with M-1 Global a few years back to co-promote mixed martial a read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 15 views

We're closer than we've ever been. I'm sure a lot of boxing fans in our audience, especially those who've been around the block a few times, aren't going to get all hot under the collar over another read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 0 views

TEMECULA, Calif. -- Kimbo Slice is back in MMA. And the line has already formed of fighters wanting to take him on. "Honestly, I probably had about 200 people call me last night saying, 'I'm ready to read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 12 views

Bellator President Scott Coker has been busy recently, but carved out time on Tuesday to speak to Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour. Both Bellator and the sport of mixed martial arts are in transition, b read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

Hector Lombard has three wins as a UFC welterweight and has already put himself into a place to be considered a top contender within the weight class. He took a decision victory over Josh Burkman at read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

Donald Cerrone is clearly on a tear within the Ultimate Fighting Championship. At UFC 182, he dominated Myles Jury to earn his sixth straight win, dating back to UFC 167 in 2013. With this win, Cerro read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 8 views

The first UFC event of 2015 is in the books, and Jon Jones is still the light heavyweight champion. So what's next for him and the rest of the main card fighters? UFC 182 was a bit of a "good news, b read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 9 views

It’s been a few years since the talk of “superfights” inside the Octagon was at its most fevered pitch. When Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva were both reigning supreme as untouchable UFC champio read news >>