Strikeforce released its middleweight champion, Jake Shields, from his contract with the organization on Wednesday, according to an industry source with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

The 31-year-old Shields had been in a final-phase “matching period” of his recently completed contract with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion, which allowed him to receive bids from other organizations, including the UFC, that Strikeforce could review and match in order to keep his services. However, the source said Strikeforce waived that contractual right in its final 2-3 weeks and opted to release the Cesar Gracie fighter altogether before the period expired.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed to Sherdog.com that the promotion informed Jack Shields, the fighter’s manager and father, of the release on Wednesday. Coker would not comment further on the decision.

“In the conversation we had today, they said they felt that Jake was leaning towards the UFC. Honestly, we were talking to them with an open mind, though Jake wants to fight the best,” said the elder Shields. “Between Strikeforce and EliteXC, Jake had the chance to fight on Showtime and CBS four or five times against some top fighters like Dan Henderson and Robbie Lawler. Strikeforce gave him great opportunities and exposure. They’ve been nothing but great for Jake.”

Shields, who successfully defended his title against former Pride Fighting Championships champion and UFC middleweight Henderson on April 17 in Nashville, Tenn., opted to not negotiate a renewal contract with Strikeforce prior to the bout. The fighter’s contract, which was originally drawn up by Pro Elite and purchased by Strikeforce after the short-lived fight organization went bankrupt in October 2008, also did not contain a standard “champion’s clause,” which could have placed stipulations on Shields’ renegotiations while he remained a titleholder.

Prior to news of the release, Jack Shields told Sherdog.com that he submitted the fighter’s asking price to the UFC on Wednesday and was awaiting an initial bid from the rival promotion to pass onto Strikeforce for review. The elder Shields said he submitted figures for a series of bouts he thought requisite if his son fought the top contenders in both the UFC’s welterweight and middleweight divisions.

Shields said his son would like to debut as a UFC middleweight, possibly against champion Anderson Silva, as welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will be tied up with “The Ultimate Fighter” reality TV series and a pending bout with rival coach Josh Koscheck later this year.

“We didn’t come to agreement with Strikeforce, but Jake’s excited to challenge himself against the likes of Anderson Silva and others in the UFC,” said Shields.

In recent weeks, Strikeforce’s Coker had said the promotion had initial plans to hold a four-, eight-, or even 16-man tournament to crown a new champion if Shields vacated.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Josh Thomson excited to sign 'fighter-friendly contract' with Bellator MMA

  • 18 days ago
  • 3 views

Former Strikeforce champion and ex-UFC lightweight Josh Thomson has officially signed with Bellator MMA. Check out what he has to say about his new home, which reunites him with Scott Coker. Bellator read news >>

UFC releases statement on Anderson Silva's one-year suspension

  • 17 days ago
  • 36 views

The UFC is counting on Anderson Silva being back next year. Silva was suspended Thursday by the Nevada Athletic Commission for failing multiple drug tests in relation to his UFC 183 main event fight read news >>

Read the UFC's official statement on Anderson Silva's 1-year suspension

  • 17 days ago
  • 31 views

The UFC released an official statement on the suspension of their middleweight superstar. You can read it right here. Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been handed a one-year suspen read news >>

UFC Releases Statement on Anderson Silva’s Suspension, Looks Forward to His Return

  • 17 days ago
  • 54 views

Following Anderson Silva's 12-month suspension for testing positive to two anabolic steroids and two anti-anxiety medications, UFC released a statement. read news >>

Jake Shields' manager: Rousimar Palhares ‘should be kicked out of the sport'

  • 28 days ago
  • 16 views

LAS VEGAS -- Rousimar Palhares' fate has yet to be decided following his controversial actions at World Series of Fighting 22, but Jake Shields' manager, Tareq Azim, hopes the Brazilian's latest run- read news >>

Morning Report: Jake Shields wants to gouge eyes, bite and 'kick Rousimar Palhares in the balls' in street fight rematch

  • 28 days ago
  • 18 views

Jake Shields didn't have a great weekend. After dominating welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares for the opening rounds of their title bout at WSOF 22, Shields was caught in a nasty kimura midway t read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson video: UFC 191 promo released for September 5 in Las Vegas

  • 28 days ago
  • 24 views

Now that UFC 190 -- which went down last night (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (results here) -- is in the books, it's time to look ahead to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) pay-pe read news >>

Shields: I want to kick Palhares in the balls after WSOF bout

  • 28 days ago
  • 40 views

Jake Shields spoke to Submission Radio about his controversial WSOF loss to Rousimar Palhares. read news >>

Jake Shields knew Rousimar Palhares was 'a dirty cheater, but I wasn't ready for eye-gouges'

  • 29 days ago
  • 105 views

LAS VEGAS – Once or twice? Perhaps he could overlook it. But at least eight “blatant” eye-gouges? That’s where Jake Shields drew the line with WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares.Filed under read news >>

Jake Shields outraged at Rousimar Palhares: ‘What he did was absolutely blatant cheating'

  • 29 days ago
  • 26 views

LAS VEGAS -- Jake Shields knew what he was getting into when he signed up to fight Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 22, but what transpired Saturday night was even beyond what he could'v read news >>