Luke Rockhold defended his Strikeforce middleweight title for the second time Saturday night in the main event of Strikeforce “Rockhold vs. Kennedy” by outpointing Tim Kennedy at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore.

Rockhold utilized his reach effectively throughout five rounds, using his superior length to keep Kennedy on the end of his punching range. However, though he managed to floor the Jackson’s MMA representative in round four, Rockhold could not find a finish against his durable opponent.

“Tim Kennedy is a real tough dude. I think we could compete with anybody out there in the top 10 and beat them,” Rockhold told Showtime Sports following his performance. “He’s tough as nails. I tried to put him away. I know I hit him once pretty good and dropped him, but he recovers quick. It’s proven -- nobody has been able to put him away.”

As Rockhold pressed the action for most of the contest, Kennedy looked to counterpunch while moving in and out of range. Despite trading evenly with the ever-active champion in several exchanges, Kennedy found himself unable to land a tide-turning blow that might have changed the fight’s outcome.

“[Kennedy has an] awkward striking style. He’s hard to read and he’s backing up a lot, and it’s hard to reach him,” said Rockhold. “He’s decent at countering, and you don’t know if he’s going to wrestle or strike. I was a little wary of both and, obviously, I got caught a few times.”

The prevailing wisdom before the contest was that if Kennedy could plant Rockhold on his back throughout the 25-minute affair, the challenger might walk out with the belt. Kennedy’s success in that department proved limited thanks to Rockhold’s concentrated focus on improving his wrestling during training camp.

“[I trained to] wrestle first. A lot of times, guys get on my legs and I try striking. I try pogo-sticking on one leg and try to hit them, which just gets me in trouble,” said Rockhold. “This fight, it was wrestle first, strike second. That was the major success of this fight. I wrestled hard, and wrestling camps are always the worst, but wrestling is the biggest equalizer in all of fighting.”

While it is unclear exactly what currently lies ahead for Strikeforce’s middleweight ace, the American Kickboxing Academy standout says that he should have no shortage of willing challengers, one of whom could be Ronaldo Souza, the man he outpointed to win the belt back in September. Regardless of whom he faces, Rockhold says he plans to hold onto his title for some time.

“[There will be] many more [defenses] to come. I’m not giving it up. I’ll be damned if anybody takes this belt from me,” said Rockhold. “There are quite a few new middleweights in the division now, like Lorenz Larkin and Roger Gracie, but I think ‘Jacare’ is the most likely challenger, as long as he wins [his August bout against Derek Brunson]. Our fight needs closure, and I’d like to have a chance to finish it.”

UFC Fight Night 81 Free Fight: Dominick Cruz Beats Urijah Faber in Octagon Debut

Dominick Cruz's UFC debut at UFC 132 was a success. Cruz defended the bantamweight belt by beating Urijah Faber by decision in a rematch. read news >>

Chris Weidman Talks Luke Rockhold, Compares UFC Rematch to Anderson Silva Fights

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has called for an immediate rematch against Luke Rockhold, whom he said he plans to "demolish" in a bout that means more to him than his wins over Ander read news >>

Video: UFC champ Luke Rockhold's elbow drainage will make you gag

If you’re getting ready to dig into breakfast while you catch up on MMAjunkie’s latest headlines, you might want to skip this one.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Fabricio Werdum: I made right decision not to fight Velasquez, Miocic or anybody else

UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum today defended his decision to withdraw from UFC 196 amid criticism over an initial interview he gave about his choice. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, N read news >>

Bellator signs PRIDE, Strikeforce, veteran heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov to multi-fight deal

Two days after the announcement of one of its highest profile free-agent signings to date, Bellator continues to bolster its roster with the addition of a veteran heavyweight.Filed under: Bellator, N read news >>

Bellator Signs Former Pride Heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov

Pride and Strikeforce veteran Sergei Kharitonov is the latest free agent signed by Bellator MMA. read news >>

UFC boss: Luke Rockhold to rematch Chris Weidman for middleweight title in June

Chris Weidman will get a chance to take back the UFC middleweight championship from Luke Rockhold when the pair rematch for the title in June.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman Immediate Rematch Headlines UFC 199

UFC president Dana White dropped some big fights on Wednesday, including a rematch between Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman. read news >>

Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman: Fight Date Announced, Comments and Reaction

On Wednesday afternoon, UFC President Dana White announced on Fox Sports' Garbage Time (via Damon Martin of FoxSports.com) that Luke Rockhold will defend his middleweight title against Chris Weidman read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Immediate rematches and 'CM Punk' qualifiers

In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, was an immediate rematch the right move for Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman? And what’s really going on with the ‘CM Punk’ qualifying fight between Mickey Gall and Mik read news >>