Ronda Rousey’s Saturday night submission victory over Sarah Kaufman lasted just 54 seconds, but the Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion says she was in no hurry to seal the deal.

The former Olympic judo bronze medalist applied one of her trademark armbars on Kaufman less than 30 seconds into their titular headliner at Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, Calif., and soon after added the former champion to her list of first-round victims.

“It’s cool how I’ve had to change all my habits from judo,” Rousey (Pictured, file photo) told Showtime Sports after her win. “In judo, I have a tendency to rush, because I only have a few seconds to [submit my opponent before the bout is restarted standing]. This time, I got [the armbar], and I was like, ‘Take your time.’” While the submission itself played out methodically, the lead-up to the finish proved tense from the start, as Rousey immediately jabbed her way inside before launching a right hook that occupied Kaufman’s attention while she further closed the gap. Once in the clinch, Rousey failed with a head-and-arm throw but moments later hit a smooth foot sweep that planted Kaufman on her posterior in a sequence that would serve as the beginning of the end for the former champion.

Rousey instantly stepped into mount as Kaufman attempted in vain to regain a seated position. The British Columbia native then tried to roll for an escape, but Rousey quickly snatched the Canadian’s right appendage and dived for her signature armbar, hooking the crook of Kaufman’s knee and flopping her over onto her back. Kaufman appeared well-prepared to defend the submission, however, keeping her arm bolted to her chest and holding on for all she was worth as Rousey slowly began to pry apart her grip. Kaufman continually rolled with the pressure and rotated her shoulder, lasting nearly 30 seconds before Rousey finally ripped apart her hands and finished the hold, forcing Kaufman to tap less than one minute into the hyped championship affair.

“I thought that if I went for it too early that I might lose my position,” said Rousey of the finish. “I feel like I’m developing more as a mixed martial artist that I was able to change my position until I was happy with where I was before I went for it. I feel mature now with this win. I’m more relaxed, and I’m not [rushing] like in my earlier fights.”

Prior to tonight’s contest, Rousey notably supplemented her preparation by spending time with Team Cesar Gracie, a decision she says paid both physical and mental dividends.

“They did a lot in keeping me from plateauing. I feel like changing your environment is really important, in moderation, and they were great,” Rousey said. “They helped me stay motivated and helped me to still enjoy what I’m doing. I think Mike Tyson said that a happy fighter is a dangerous fighter. They were really good about teaching me a whole lot of new things but also making sure that I was enjoying the journey.”

Ronda Rousey Rips into NSAC over Nick Diaz Suspension: 'It's so Not Right'

Ronda Rousey is not pleased about Nick Diaz's five-year suspension from MMA. Not one bit. While the UFC women's bantamweight champ was in Melbourne, Australia, on business to promote her upcoming tit read news >>

Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm Ticket Sales Reportedly on Course to Set UFC Record

Ronda Rousey’s scheduled bout with Holly Holm at UFC 193 looks set to be watched by a record crowd, with a reported 70,000 spectators set to pack the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne for the showpiece. Ac read news >>

Ronda Rousey Sends Fan into Tears During UFC 193 Press Tour in Australia

Ronda Rousey’s status as a sporting icon around the world continues to grow. The UFC women’s bantamweight champion was recently in Australia promoting her bout against Holly Holm, which takes place a read news >>

Ronda Rousey Discusses Holly Holm on 'Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon'

Ronda Rousey’s interviews last longer than her fights, and her latest one occurred on the Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon, when she discussed her upcoming UFC 193 showdown against former boxing champ read news >>

VIDEO: Ronda Rousey Loses Her Shizmit Over Nick Diaz Pot Suspension

To put it mildly, UFC women's bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey went off on the Nevada commission's 5-year suspension of Nick Diaz for pot. read news >>

UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm Press Conference Video Highlights

UFC champions Ronda Rousey and Joanna Jedrzejczyk took the stage with their challengers Holly Holm and Valerie Letourneau for the UFC 193 on-sale press conference. read news >>

UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm Press Conference Staredowns Video

The stars of UFC 193 staredown their opponents at the press conference on Tuesday including Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm & Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Valérie Létourneau. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Women Fighting Men After Floyd Mayweather Exchanges

Ronday Rousey has insisted she would never step into the ring with a male competitor despite some recent barbs from boxer Floyd Mayweather. Speaking to Australian show The Project (h/t Nola Ojomu of  read news >>

Ronda Rousey unloads on NSAC for Nick Diaz suspension: 'No reason' to test for marijuana

UFC champion Ronda Rousey gave the Nevada State Athletic Commission a verbal lashing at today’s UFC 193 press conference in Melbourne for its five-year suspension of fellow fighter Nick Diaz.Filed un read news >>

Rousey, Holm talk UFC 193 - 2 am/11 pm ETPT

Ronda Rousey, Holly Holm, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, Valerie Letourneau and Dana White are all in Melbourne to talk UFC 193 - join the action Wednesday at 2 am ET/Tuesday at 11 pm PT. read news >>