Ronda Rousey’s Saturday night submission victory over Sarah Kaufman lasted just 54 seconds, but the Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion says she was in no hurry to seal the deal.

The former Olympic judo bronze medalist applied one of her trademark armbars on Kaufman less than 30 seconds into their titular headliner at Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, Calif., and soon after added the former champion to her list of first-round victims.

“It’s cool how I’ve had to change all my habits from judo,” Rousey (Pictured, file photo) told Showtime Sports after her win. “In judo, I have a tendency to rush, because I only have a few seconds to [submit my opponent before the bout is restarted standing]. This time, I got [the armbar], and I was like, ‘Take your time.’” While the submission itself played out methodically, the lead-up to the finish proved tense from the start, as Rousey immediately jabbed her way inside before launching a right hook that occupied Kaufman’s attention while she further closed the gap. Once in the clinch, Rousey failed with a head-and-arm throw but moments later hit a smooth foot sweep that planted Kaufman on her posterior in a sequence that would serve as the beginning of the end for the former champion.

Rousey instantly stepped into mount as Kaufman attempted in vain to regain a seated position. The British Columbia native then tried to roll for an escape, but Rousey quickly snatched the Canadian’s right appendage and dived for her signature armbar, hooking the crook of Kaufman’s knee and flopping her over onto her back. Kaufman appeared well-prepared to defend the submission, however, keeping her arm bolted to her chest and holding on for all she was worth as Rousey slowly began to pry apart her grip. Kaufman continually rolled with the pressure and rotated her shoulder, lasting nearly 30 seconds before Rousey finally ripped apart her hands and finished the hold, forcing Kaufman to tap less than one minute into the hyped championship affair.

“I thought that if I went for it too early that I might lose my position,” said Rousey of the finish. “I feel like I’m developing more as a mixed martial artist that I was able to change my position until I was happy with where I was before I went for it. I feel mature now with this win. I’m more relaxed, and I’m not [rushing] like in my earlier fights.”

Prior to tonight’s contest, Rousey notably supplemented her preparation by spending time with Team Cesar Gracie, a decision she says paid both physical and mental dividends.

“They did a lot in keeping me from plateauing. I feel like changing your environment is really important, in moderation, and they were great,” Rousey said. “They helped me stay motivated and helped me to still enjoy what I’m doing. I think Mike Tyson said that a happy fighter is a dangerous fighter. They were really good about teaching me a whole lot of new things but also making sure that I was enjoying the journey.”

Ronda Rousey Plans 'World Domination' as Lyoto Machida Issues Cyborg Warning

Ronda Rousey is planning a return to the UFC and is aiming to reassert the dominance she enjoyed before her November defeat to Holly Holm, according to her nutrition coach, Mike Dolce. Before the bru read news >>

Miesha Tate Video: Dishing on Amanda Nunes Fight Ahead of Ronda Rousey or Holly Holm

Miesha Tate talks about facing Amanda Nunes, potential rematches with Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey, and what's on the horizon with Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Mike Tyson Discusses 'Phenomenal' Conor McGregor, Ronda Rousey and Jon Jones

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has hailed Conor McGregor as the most fascinating personality in the UFC ahead of the likes of Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey. Speaking with Nick Peet read news >>

Miesha Tate Has ‘Unfinished Business,’ Wants Ronda Rousey Next

UFC bantamweight champion Miesha Tate and former titleholder Ronda Rousey have quite the history, dating back to before either were in the UFC. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19's Bethe Correia: Media turned me into villain against Ronda Rousey

Bethe Correia hasn’t stepped in the UFC’s famed octagon since this past August when her dreams of becoming UFC champion were dashed at the hands of Ronda Rousey in on 34 seconds.Filed under: News, UF read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey's Comeback Fight, Holly Holm

UFC President Dana White confirmed Sunday that Ronda Rousey will have a chance to win back the UFC women's bantamweight title when she steps into the Octagon again. White discussed Rousey's immediate read news >>

Dana White Guarantees Ronda Rousey ‘Will Fight Whoever Has the Belt’ in UFC Return

We don't know when or where Ronda Rousey will make her UFC return, but Dana White guarantees she'll get a title shot when she does. read news >>

Emotional Travis Browne Says He and Ronda Rousey Saved Each Other Amidst Dark Times (Video)

Travis Browne talked about some tough times, defending himself against false accusations, and how he and Ronda Rousey helped each other through murky waters. read news >>

Ronda Rousey: ‘I Need to Come Back, and I Need to Win’ (Video)

Former UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is determined to return better than ever and recapture her status as the queen of the 135-pound division. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Reportedly Agrees to 3-Movie Deal with Lifetime Network

UFC superstar Ronda Rousey reportedly reached an agreement with the Lifetime Network on a three-picture movie deal with a focus on empowerment projects. Denise Petski of Deadline first reported the n read news >>