Marloes Coenen and Sarah Kaufman at Strikeforce

Marloes Coenen firing at Sarah Kaufman

“2010 was an emotional rollercoaster for me professionally and private,” admits Strikeforce women’s 135-pound champion Marloes Coenen.

From the low of losing decisively to Strikeforce women’s 145-pound champion Cris “Cyborg” Santos, to the high of coming from behind to submit Sarah Kaufman for her current title, it’s been a year of extremes for Coenen.

When it comes to her performances against Santos and Kaufman, again, things were worlds apart for Coenen.

“The Cyborg-fight was one big lesson to me,” she told MMAWeekly.com. “Though I lost, it has boosted my confidence big time. I proved to myself that I am a fighter, don’t give up, and can take a beating.

“The Kaufman fight was different. I had expected more fireworks from her side. To cut a long story short; I am always very critical on my own performance, but I am happy with that fight too if I take all the ‘external’ things in consideration. For my next fight, I want more fireworks… and I’ll make it happen.”

Coenen admits that cutting weight for the Kaufman fight, combined with the possibility of fighting five five-minute rounds has affected the way she approaches fights, most importantly how to conserve energy and fight smarter.

“It is in my nature to go all out, but that isn’t the brightest game plan when you have a championship fight over 25 minutes,” stated Coenen. “I would like to learn the counter better. But what I see is that you are (either) an ‘attack’ or a ‘counter’ fighter, so it will be hard.”

Looking forward to 2011, Coenen’s first title defense is scheduled to be against Miesha Tate.

“She is a good wrestler and controls (her opponents) effectively, but her stand-up isn’t like Kaufman’s,” said Coenen. “My ground game is okay and my wrestling too, so I look forward to measuring our strengths.”

Tate fight aside, Coenen is intent on proving any detractors wrong by putting all her efforts into becoming a dominant world-class fighter.

“(I want to) consolidate my title, keep on training my women’s group, and fight all over the world,” commented Coenen. “The upcoming three years, at least, I will totally dedicate to MMA. I’ll do whatever it takes, and maybe I move to the U.S., we will see.

“2011 will be spectacular, cannot wait for it to start. If there is a theme (for the year) it’ll be ‘Bring it on!’”

After highs and lows dominated her 2010, Coenen looks to gain stability in 2011 and prove she can be the stalwart of Strikeforce’s 135-pound division for some time to come.

“I wish you all the best for 2011,” concluded Coenen. “Believe in your dreams and hang on. The road can be wobbly but when you believe it, you can make it. Happy New Year to everyone!”

UFC on FOX 21 Results: Jim Miller Edges Ahead of Joe Lauzon to Take the Rematch

Jim Miller and Joe Lauzon’s rematch at UFC on FOX 21 in Vancouver on Saturday was another classic, but the result was the same, a victory for Miller. read news >>

Secret weapons give Shelton boost ahead of Ultimate Fighter debut

Caged Aggression champion Eric Shelton has an edge going into The Ultimate Fighter season 24, sage advice from UFC veteran Pete Spratt and Hall of Famer Pat Miletich. read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Mickey Gall and Rob Dyrdek

Mickey Gall calls in ahead of his UFC 203 fight against CM Punk to give his thoughts on what Punk's gameplan will be against him and more. Later, skateboarder, producer, entrepreneur, and reality TV read news >>

Podcast: Ian McCall on Scoggins beef and if CM Punk will win - MMA Plus

Ian McCall featured on The Mind Diet ahead of UFC 203 and he had plenty to say about previously scheduled competitor, 'young dumb kid' Justin Scoggins. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>

Bleacher Report MMA Rankings for September 2016 Ahead of UFC 203

It's been a while, folks, but the Bleacher Report MMA rankings are back! It's been a hectic month-and-a-half, with a number of major events and a number of good fights going down across nearly every read news >>

Overeem says Miocic enjoying title life too much

Ahead of their heavyweight championship clash at UFC 203, challenger Alistair Overeem thinks champion Stipe Miocic is enjoying the title life too much and he's hungry enough to take the belt on Sept. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

Awwww, Mick Foley Gets All Dad-Like for CM Punk in Video Ahead of UFC 203 | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk may be a 4-1 underdog against Mickey Gall at UFC 203, but he still has a lot of fans rooting for him, and one of those is Mick Foley. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Poirier vs Johnson rewind: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC Fight Night Poirier vs Johnson - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>