Marloes Coenen and Sarah Kaufman at Strikeforce

Marloes Coenen firing at Sarah Kaufman

“2010 was an emotional rollercoaster for me professionally and private,” admits Strikeforce women’s 135-pound champion Marloes Coenen.

From the low of losing decisively to Strikeforce women’s 145-pound champion Cris “Cyborg” Santos, to the high of coming from behind to submit Sarah Kaufman for her current title, it’s been a year of extremes for Coenen.

When it comes to her performances against Santos and Kaufman, again, things were worlds apart for Coenen.

“The Cyborg-fight was one big lesson to me,” she told MMAWeekly.com. “Though I lost, it has boosted my confidence big time. I proved to myself that I am a fighter, don’t give up, and can take a beating.

“The Kaufman fight was different. I had expected more fireworks from her side. To cut a long story short; I am always very critical on my own performance, but I am happy with that fight too if I take all the ‘external’ things in consideration. For my next fight, I want more fireworks… and I’ll make it happen.”

Coenen admits that cutting weight for the Kaufman fight, combined with the possibility of fighting five five-minute rounds has affected the way she approaches fights, most importantly how to conserve energy and fight smarter.

“It is in my nature to go all out, but that isn’t the brightest game plan when you have a championship fight over 25 minutes,” stated Coenen. “I would like to learn the counter better. But what I see is that you are (either) an ‘attack’ or a ‘counter’ fighter, so it will be hard.”

Looking forward to 2011, Coenen’s first title defense is scheduled to be against Miesha Tate.

“She is a good wrestler and controls (her opponents) effectively, but her stand-up isn’t like Kaufman’s,” said Coenen. “My ground game is okay and my wrestling too, so I look forward to measuring our strengths.”

Tate fight aside, Coenen is intent on proving any detractors wrong by putting all her efforts into becoming a dominant world-class fighter.

“(I want to) consolidate my title, keep on training my women’s group, and fight all over the world,” commented Coenen. “The upcoming three years, at least, I will totally dedicate to MMA. I’ll do whatever it takes, and maybe I move to the U.S., we will see.

“2011 will be spectacular, cannot wait for it to start. If there is a theme (for the year) it’ll be ‘Bring it on!’”

After highs and lows dominated her 2010, Coenen looks to gain stability in 2011 and prove she can be the stalwart of Strikeforce’s 135-pound division for some time to come.

“I wish you all the best for 2011,” concluded Coenen. “Believe in your dreams and hang on. The road can be wobbly but when you believe it, you can make it. Happy New Year to everyone!”

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>

Lawler vs. Woodley: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 201

Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley hit the scales on Friday ahead of their mouth-watering title bout at UFC 201, and both fighters came in dead on the 170-pound limit, per Fox Sports: UFC: The main even read news >>

UFC 201 Fantasy Rewind: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC: 201 - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>

Michael Bisping Expects Dan Henderson to 'Cheat' in Reported Rematch at UFC 204

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expecting Dan Henderson to “cheat” in their rumoured rematch. According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Bisping will face the veteran on October 8 in a r read news >>

Eddie Ng Expects Exciting Fight Against Honorio Banario at ONE: Heroes of the World

Eddie Ng expects and exciting fight with Honorio Banario, but he also expects to have his hand raised at the end of the night. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Will Defend 145-Pound Title, Stephen Thompson Gets Welterweight Title Shot

UFC president Dana White expects Conor McGregor to defend his featherweight title after his UFC 202 rematch against Nate Diaz. read news >>

Conor McGregor Non-Committal on Featherweight Defense, Wants NY or Dublin

Despite Dana White continuing to say that he expects Conor McGregor to defend his featherweight title next, McGregor hasn't yet committed to such a fight. read news >>

Nate Diaz Says Conor McGregor is Silly, Trying to Hype Himself Up Ahead of UFC 202 (Video)

Heading into UFC 202, Nate Diaz said that Conor McGregor is silly for having pictures up in his garage of him punching Diaz in the face. Diaz feels McGregor is just fooling himself, trying to hype hi read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Cowboy Cerrone and Bob Saget

Donald Cerrone calls in live from Lake Mead ahead of his fight against Rick Story at UFC 202 and talks skydiving, Diaz vs. McGregor 2, and more. Then, comic and actor Bob Saget talks to Jim and Matt read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz Will Be Punished for Bottle-Throwing Incident

UFC president Dana White expects the Nevada Athletic Commission to be heavy handed when it punishes Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz. read news >>