Gilbert Melendez vs. Jorge Masvidal at StrikeforceIt has been more than a year since UFC president Dana White first declared that Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez was making the move to the Octagon.

It has been more than a year of sheer torture for Melendez and his Strikeforce counterparts that time and again thought Strikeforce had hit the end of the road and that they were going to get a shot on the biggest stage in all of mixed martial arts.

Now, however, there is finally a definitive conclusion to the Strikeforce, Showtime, UFC soap opera.

Strikeforce will run one more event, on Jan. 12 on Showtime, and that will be that. Strikeforce will then cease to exist, and the UFC will pick up many of the fighters and give them a run at the Octagon.

One of the key players to make that move is Melendez, who still holds the Strikeforce belt, but can’t wait to set foot in the Octagon. And White can’t wait for him and the other fighters on the roster to make the move. It’s one of his greatest regrets about the Strikeforce/Showtime debacle.

“What has happened to the fighters in Strikeforce is horrible,” White told MMAWeekly.com on Thursday in Las Vegas. “The way this thing went down and what’s happened to these guys and these guys have been very patient. I feel sorry for what happened to them and I’m just happy that they’re coming to the UFC now.”

Melendez will be followed by several others, but he is the marquee fighter left under the Strikeforce banner after the UFC had already raided much of the promotion’s other top-tier talent.

His patience, however, could pay off in an immediate title shot.

“He’ll probably come right in and get a title shot,” White said of Melendez’s initial prospects in the Octagon.

White didn’t guarantee the title shot, saying, “again, we’ll see,” but it would only make sense.

Melendez has been at the top of the heap, not only at Strikeforce, but in the world, often flip-flopping around the MMAWeekly.com World MMA Rankings top three positions in the lightweight division.

Slotting Melendez into an immediate title shot would be akin to Dan Henderson putting his Pride belts on the line when the UFC acquired the venerable Japanese fight promotion several years ago. It’s the opportunity for the UFC to pull off the type of title unification fight that doesn’t often present itself.

Like any championship situation, the timing will have to match up, but Melendez wants nothing more than to make his way to the UFC and prove that he is the No. 1 lightweight fighter in the world… and now it looks like he just might get the chance.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC news and updates.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Iaquinta pulled from UFC Fight Night 71, Gamburyan vs. Jorgensen gets main card nod

  • 22 days ago
  • 6 views

With Gilbert Melendez scratched from UFC Fight Night 71 after failing a post-UFC 188 drug test, his opponent, Al Iaquinta, has also been removed from the card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Statement on Gilbert Melendez

  • 23 days ago
  • 2 views

Following his bout at UFC 188 in Mexico City on June 13, UFC lightweight Gilbert Melendez tested positive for exogenous origin of testosterone metabolites. The UFC has a strict, consistent policy read news >>

Gilbert Melendez Fails Drug Test Following UFC 188, Suspended 1 Year

  • 22 days ago
  • 25 views

Yet another prominent mixed martial artist has been flagged for banned substances, as the UFC announced longtime lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez has failed a post-fight drug test following his read news >>

Al Iaquinta reacts to Gilbert Melendez's failed drug test, scratch from UFC Fight Night 71

  • 22 days ago
  • 224 views

Al Iaquinta's roller-coaster road to UFC Fight Night 71 ended in disappointment on Monday. After losing original opponent Bobby Green to injury, Iaquinta abruptly lost his replacement opponent when f read news >>

Twitter reacts to Gilbert Melendez's failed UFC 188 drug test and suspension

  • 22 days ago
  • 686 views

Just nine days’ prior to his scheduled bout with Al Iaquinta, Gilbert Melendez received news that he’d tested positive for banned substances following his recent loss to Eddie Alvarez. See how social read news >>

Gilbert Melendez flunks UFC 188 drug test, suspended one year and yanked from UFC Fight Night 71

  • 22 days ago
  • 9 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight Gilbert Melendez tested positive for "exogenous origin of testosterone metabolites" following his UFC 188 loss to Eddie Alvarez last month in Mexico C read news >>

Gilbert Melendez suspended for failing drug test; pulled from Al Iaquinta bout

  • 22 days ago
  • 1 views

Gilbert Melendez is the latest fighter to fail a post-fight drug test. The 33-year old former Strikeforce lightweight champion tested positive for what was termed "exogenous origin of testosterone me read news >>

Gilbert Melendez fails UFC 188 post-fight drug test, pulled from UFC Fight Night 71 card

  • 22 days ago
  • 27 views

Gilbert Melendez dropped a decision in his UFC 188 bout with Eddie Alvarez, but his real issues are only just beginning as it was announced today that Melendez failed his post-fight drug test on June read news >>

Gilbert Melendez Tests Positive, Suspended, Following UFC 188 Drug Test

  • 22 days ago
  • 13 views

UFC lightweight Gilbert Melendez tests positive following UFC 188, handed one-year suspension. read news >>

Gilbert Melendez fails UFC 188 drug test, suspended one year

  • 22 days ago
  • 52 views

Looks like Gilbert Melendez is out of his UFC Fight Night San Diego bout with Al Iaquinta after failing his UFC 188 post-fight drug test with exogenous testosterone metabolites. Another big name UFC read news >>