Strikeforce Cancels Sept. 29 Event After Lightweight Champ Gilbert Melendez Withdraws


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

For the second time in a month, a Zuffa-affiliated mixed martial arts card has been canceled.

Strikeforce announced Sunday evening that it has scrapped its Sept. 29 event after a training injury forced lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez to withdraw from the main event. Melendez was scheduled to defend his 155-pound title against Pat Healy at Power Balance Pavilion in Sacramento, Calif., on Saturday night.

“Want to say sorry to all my fans and supporters of Strikeforce for not being able to compete,” Melendez wrote on Twitter. “Injured myself early last week. Bummer.”

Showtime, which has the final say on which fights are televised by the premium network, elected not to air the event without the Melendez-Healy championship bout. Nine other bouts had been made official for Strikeforce “Melendez vs. Healy.” It is currently unclear as to when the remaining fighters on the card will have their fights rescheduled.

“When Showtime informed us that it would not be airing the event, we made the difficult decision to cancel Saturday’s card in Sacramento,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker stated in a release. “Without a television partner, we simply could not move forward with this event. We wish Gilbert a speedy recovery and will work diligently and quickly to reschedule the fighters affected by this news on upcoming cards.”

The news of the Strikeforce cancellation comes a little less than a month after UFC President Dana White announced that the Sept. 1 UFC 151 card would be canceled due to the lack of a suitable main event. That card suffered its demise when a knee injury forced Dan Henderson to withdraw from a light heavyweight title matchup with Jon Jones, and Jones subsequently declined a fight against Chael Sonnen on eight days’ notice.

Melendez last competed on May 19, when he defended his lightweight crown with a split-decision triumph over Josh Thomson at Strikeforce “Barnett vs. Cormier.” Melendez has long been a staple of the California-based promotion, posting an 11-1 mark in fights with the organization since 2006.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 11 days ago
  • 309 views

For Gilbert Melendez, the ultimate prize may be off in the distance, but he has never taken his mind off the UFC lightweight title. He will have his shot against Anthony Pettis at the UFC's 2014 year-end event in December. The UFC contender and former, longtime Strikeforce champion has been out of action since defeating Diego Sanchez in an instant classic at UFC 166 in October, but the motivation for the Skrap Pack representative's hiatus have been just. His next bout will be for the lightweight more

  • a day ago
  • 1 views

If it was up to Anthony Pettis, he'd handle his critics the way he used on the streets of Milwaukee as a kid. "Where I grew up if someone talks any type of mess you handle it a certain way, and that's what I'm used to," Pettis said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. But the oft-criticized UFC lightweight champion knows things aren't that simple anymore. "As the champ things are a little different now," acknowledged Pettis, who is currently shooting the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter out more

  • a day ago
  • 1 views

Anthony Pettis will defend his UFC lightweight title December 6 against top contender Gilbert Melendez at UFC 181. The fight will be Pettis' first title defense. For that matter, it's the first bout of any kind for "Showtime" since he won the belt from Benson Henderson last August at UFC 164. Pettis himself broke the news Monday while a guest on The MMA Hour broadcast with host Ariel Helwani. "December 6 is going to be the date of my next fight; it'll be out here in Vegas," Pettis said. "I got w more

  • a day ago
  • 64 views

Anthony Pettis will return to the octagon to defend his UFC lightweight title against Gilbert Melendez in December. Anthony Pettis will return to UFC action this December on what could be a massive card. The UFC lightweight champion announced on yesterday's edition of The MMA Hour that he will be facing Gilbert Melendez on December 6 in Las Vegas. That event, which appears as though it will be UFC 181, still doesn't have a venue set as of now. However, the December 6 date is also the event that more

  • 21 days ago
  • 38 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

  • 14 days ago
  • 19 views

UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and won't be able to defend his title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight on Fox Sports 1 that UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and his UFC 176 headliner against Chad Mendes is cancelled. This is terrible news for Jose Aldo fans who have had to endure cancelled fight after long injury induced layoffs between rare opportunites to see their man in the Octagon. Since becoming the UFC Featherwei more

  • 13 days ago
  • 26 views

It’s been a bit of a roller coaster ride for Stevie Ray since he signed with Cage Warriors, but with a new deal in place, he’s hoping for some stability as far as his title is concerned. Filed under: Cage Warriors, MMA Rumors, News more

  • 3 days ago
  • 44 views

UFC lightweight Norman Parke believes there is a possibility that the UFC will schedule a return trip to Belfast, Northern Ireland, which he considers to be a great opportunity to headline an event. Following the UFC's successful return to Dublin, fighters are not only clamouring for another event in the near future, but are also requesting events in the Northern Ireland capital city, Belfast. UFC lightweight Norman Parke is one of those fighters, as he resides just an hour away from Belfast and more

  • 27 days ago
  • 31 views

The UFC’s traditional year-end pay-per-view event in Las Vegas will actually take place in the new year.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more