Strikeforce Cancels Nov. 3 Event Due to Injuries, Plans January 2013 Return on Showtime



Strikeforce has canceled its planned Nov. 3 show in Oklahoma City after a string of injuries crippled the card.

Promotion officials announced the news on Friday, revealing that the Zuffa-owned organization plans to return to Showtime with its next event in January 2013. Patrons who bought tickets for the Nov. 3 show may refund their purchase at the point of sale, according to the release. No further details were revealed.

“Due to a series of injuries, we were forced to cancel the upcoming card on Nov. 3 but are already working to put together a stacked card in January,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said in the official release.

Strikeforce’s Nov. 3 offering was expected to take place at the Chesapeake Energy Arena and feature a headlining heavyweight attraction between Strikeforce grand prix winner Daniel Cormier and ex-UFC king Frank Mir. However, Mir was forced to withdraw due to injury, and Cormier’s replacement opponent was never announced.

Weeks after Mir’s withdrawal, the main draw took two more significant hits, as former Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann pulled out of her booking against Liz Carmouche, and middleweight champion Luke Rockhold saw a hand injury do away with his plans to defend his title against Lorenz Larkin.

“While we're disappointed with the cancellation, we are looking forward to an even bigger Strikeforce event on Showtime early next year,” said Stephen Espinoza, executive vice president and general manager of Showtime Sports.

The Nov. 3 cancellation marks the second consecutive Strikeforce show to be nixed due to injury, as the promotion’s Sept. 29 offering was scratched on just one week’s notice following lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez’s withdrawal from his headlining title defense against Pat Healy.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 62 views

UFC 178 has the unique distinction of having a championship fight and main event, that, at best, is the fifth on the list of the fights the public will most care about on the show. Given that, it cre read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 12 views

The UFC recently announced the full main card for Nov. 15's UFC 180 in Mexico City, and several fighters on the card can expect a deafening roar of hometown support. Headlining the event, Fabricio We read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 11 views

When Renan Barao withdrew from his main event bout with T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 177, he gave up his right to an immediate rematch for the bantamweight title. read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 10 views

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is set to go “down under” on Nov. 8. read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 4 views

The UFC will return to Australia on Nov. 8, and UFC welterweight contender Hector Lombard is likely to headline the card.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 2 views

After a dominant decision win over Lorenz Larkin on Saturday, Derek Brunson believes it’s time to change things back up again.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 2 views

Because legally, he's not guilty of any wrongdoing. Thiago Silva is once again an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight, despite this declaration. The Brazilian was cut earlier this read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 1 views

A potential light heavyweight slugfest between Mauricio Rua and Jimi Manuwa will serve as the feature bout for the UFC’s Nov. 8 trip to Brazil. read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 14 views

A bout between veteran light heavyweights and UFC Hall of Famers Stephan Bonnar and Tito Ortiz is slated for a Nov. 15 Bellator event that will serve as the Season 11 finale.Filed under: Bellator, MM read news >>