For the past three years, Tarec Saffiedine has been waiting to earn his shot at the Strikeforce welterweight title, and last Saturday not only did he get the chance but he seized the moment with a dominant five round decision victory over Nate Marquardt.

In the cage after being handed the belt, Saffiedine finally let out all of the emotion he stored up over the last few years showing that hard work really can pay off.

Now just days removed from the victory, the Belgium born fighter is still in a daze from the experience and hasn’t quite come down from the high of victory yet.

“It’s still pretty amazing. I haven’t slept yet, it’s been two days. I still have a lot of emotion going through my mind, still kind of hard to realize where I’m at today with the belt, with Strikeforce being gone and everything. I believe in a couple of days I will wake up from that dream and realize that everything has really happened,” Saffiedine told MMAWeekly Radio after the win.

Going into the fight, Saffiedine was a decided underdog to Nate Marquardt, and all fight week long all anybody could talk about was his opponent moving back to the UFC. Who would Marquardt face in the UFC welterweight division? Would he fight his friend Georges St-Pierre?

Every question except how he planned on getting past Tarec Saffiedine, and the Team Quest fighter was paying close attention.

“Maybe some people were underrating me and the odds were against me, and all the talk about Nate going to the UFC, but that motivated me. I wanted to prove everybody was wrong, and I was well prepared,” said Saffiedine.

Now with the biggest win of his career behind him, Saffiedine can start to look forward to what appears to be a very bright future.

As of Monday, Saffiedine still hadn’t received a call or official offer from the UFC, but he’s hoping to get that news in the coming days.

“I haven’t had any paperwork or any call or an email from my manager, so I cannot say 100-percent (I’ll be in the UFC),” Saffiedine revealed.

Of course his hope is to end up in the UFC and Saffiedine is targeting any potential top ten opponent when he finally gets his chance to compete there. Just like his dream three years ago of becoming champion, Saffiedine has a new vision in mind and a goal of becoming one of the best welterweights in the UFC.

“There’s so many tough and good guys in the UFC, and I would love to fight with any of those guys,” said Saffiedine. “As far as somebody in particular I don’t even know what’s going to be next, but it’s definitely something that I’m looking forward to in my career and facing some of the top ten guys.”

(photo by Ester Lin – Showtime/Strikeforce)

UFC champ Cormier hopes Jon Jones 'becomes a better person' after punishment

Jon Jones received probation today following his hit and run felony charge that saw the former UFC champ stripped of his title and suspended from competition. Now the current belt holder is weighing read news >>

Morning Report: 'Saddened' Rashad Evans hopes to reconcile with former champion Jon Jones

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans and Jon Jones have had quite the tumultuous relationship. The pair began as teammates at Jackson's MMA in Albuquerque, New Mexico but later became b read news >>

Jake Butler Looking to ONE: Odyssey of Champions to Further His Title Hopes

He won't talk titles before he gets past Christiano Kaminishi, but a victory makes Jake Butler an attractive choice for a ONE Championship title shot. read news >>

Gegard Mousasi Returns to His Second Home, Intending to Revitalize UFC Title Hopes

Gegard Mousasi returns to his home away from home, Japan, this weekend, looking to revitalize his UFC championship dream. read news >>

Jose Aldo could lose major sponsor due to Reebok deal

Jose Aldo turned down an offer from Reebok to stay with Venum, and he might lose his sponsorship deal after all. One of the biggest critics of the "sh-t" Reebok deal, Aldo was eventually offered an e read news >>

Avoiding Another Weight-Cut Crush, Bashir Ahmad Hopes Preparation Results in Victory at ONE: Odyssey of Champions

Having undergone an unbelievable weight-cut for his last ONE Championship fight, Bashir Ahmad hopes proper preparation leads to victory this time. read news >>

Nick Diaz hopes Ronda Rousey doesn't get in trouble for anti-NAC comments

Nick Diaz has his own problems, but he's also worried his friend Ronda Rousey might get in trouble for her comments in support of him last week in Australia. The UFC women's bantamweight champion -- read news >>

WSOF champ Lance Palmer: The 'Party' is just getting started

Team Alpha Male featherweight Lance Palmer owns the WSOF featherweight title and hopes his run will eventually lead him to the UFC. But for now, “Party” is sticking with the upstart organization. Fil read news >>

Phil Davis hopes former UFC rival Jon Jones 'gets cleaned up and back to action'

Phil Davis has said plenty about former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones over the years, and not much of it has been positive. But that’s not currently the case.Filed under: Bellator, News, U read news >>

Bellator's Linton Vassell hopes move to Blackzilians leads to rematch with Emanuel Newton

When you're fighting in a four-man tournament boasting UFC vet Phil Davis, former Bellator champion Emanuel Newton and former Strikeforce champion Muhammed Lawal, it's tough to stick out. Linton Vass read news >>