Sterling FordSince turning pro in 2008, former Strikeforce lightweight Sterling Ford hadn’t fought less than four times in a year until 2012.

When asked why he hadn’t fought yet this year, Ford replied, “I was signed with Strikeforce and when they renegotiated with Showtime they announced they were going to do a lot less shows, so I was going to be less active.

“They had a fight lined up for me in July, but back (when the negotiations happened) it would have been a seven-month wait, so my managers and I decided to ask for my release and try to get a couple wins in to try to get into the UFC. Things have been kind of slow, so I haven’t been as active, but I’m looking to change that.”

Ford told MMAWeekly.com that he used his time off wisely and didn’t stray at all from the sport.

“I took time off for competing, but I was really in the gym the whole time,” he said. “My coach was off for a couple months, so I took over for him, so I’ve been really busy in the MMA scene.

“I’ve been working on changing my mindset a little bit and be more aggressive and focus on finishing fights.”

Ford’s first opportunity to test out his new assertiveness comes on Saturday night in CageSport XX at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, Wash., where he headlines the event against longtime Northwest staple James Marohl.

“A lot of places are making (Marohl) out to be a new guy, but he was just in the amateurs for a long, long time,” said Ford. “I’ve heard he’s a really tough guy; that he’s always down (for a fight) and never gives up.

“I hear he’s more a submission guy – and I’m not scared to go to the ground with him – but just in every fight I like to start standing up and see what I’m working with and go from there. I have pretty good stand-up. I’m awkward, so I kind of like to see where we are at standing up and make adjustments from there.”

According to Ford, a win over Marohl will put him right back in bigger show picture.

“I was on good terms with (matchmaker) Sean Shelby, and (told) that doing that (short notice) fight with Milton Viera was a huge favor to them, so when I asked for my release (I was told) if I get two wins outside of Strikeforce he would talk to them about bringing me back,” said Ford.

“I’m looking forward to (returning) by the end of the year, if not sooner, but I’m always cautious to what might not happen. If after this fight I have to take a couple other fights, I will and just keep winning. If I go out there and get four (wins), it’s going to look all that much the better, so I’m not worried about it.”

(Photo courtesy of Tapology.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Announced: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Rafael Dos Anjos will face Tony Ferguson in a five-round lightweight clash in the headline bout of the UFC's event at Mexico City's Arena Ciudad de Mexico on Saturday, November 5. UFC Europe relayed read news >>

Cris Cyborg Reportedly to Headline UFC Fight Night 95 in Brazil

Despite holding the Invicta FC featherweight title, it appears that Cris "Cyborg" Justino's next fight will be in the UFC Octagon. read news >>

UFC Confirms Cris Cyborg Brasilia Headliner, Silva vs. Thatch, and Several Other Bouts

UFC officials confirmed Cris Cyborg vs. Lina Lansberg would headline UFC Fight Night 95, as well as announced several other bouts for the fight card. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Returning to UFC in September to Headline Fight Night Event

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is coming back! After a few months of uncertainty, the former Strikeforce featherweight champion, current Invicta FC featherweight champion and longtime arch-rival to Ronda Rous read news >>

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor Media Conference Call Audio Replay

The headlines of UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 participated in a media conference call on Friday, and you don't want to miss what Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor had to say. TRENDING > UFC 202 Free Fight read news >>

John Lineker vs. John Dodson Headlines UFC Fight Night 96

John Lineker will face John Dodson at UFC Fight Night 96 on Oct. 1, officials announced on Saturday afternoon. read news >>

Ricardo Lamas vs. BJ Penn Announced for UFC Manila: Latest Details and Reaction

Ricardo Lamas will face BJ Penn in UFC Manila's headline fight, the UFC announced on Monday. UFC Asia tweeted the news: The featherweights will step into the Octagon on Saturday, October 15. More to read news >>

Penn vs. Lamas Headlines Manila Event

UFC, the world’s premier MMA organization, has announced its main event for UFC FIGHT NIGHT Manila. This year’s card will be headlined by a five-round featherweight bout between returning read news >>

The 10 Genuine Good Guys in MMA

The headlines of the day usually force MMA media to emphasize the bad actors of the sport. So what a breath of fresh air it is, then, when coverage can turn to MMA's good guys. These humble, respectf read news >>

Former Champ Alexander Shlemenko Returns to Headline Bellator 162

• 19 hours ago

Former middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko and WWE Superstar Bobby Lashley return to action at Bellator 162 in October. read news >>